custom stocks

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

not interested in stock makers just interested in stories of peoples experience of custom stocks as in how much of a difference it made to there shooting.

also not interested in any form of pogo stick.

Now that is an interesting question. I cannot say that having a custom stock has had a dramatic effect on my shooting but I don't think I ever expected it to. A custom stock is all about ensuring that the gun fits the shooter and ensures consistent gun mount which takes one of the variables out of the process (well it does if the thing is made to fit properly in the first place !). 

Yes my shooting has improved since getting the stock but only once I hacked another few mm off the comb. In reality my shooting has improved mainly due to some expert guidance but I guess the stock has played some part in that as gun fit is vital.

DT

Well I'm not having a custom stock made, but I'm off for a fitting on Friday with my current stock. Just to make sure all is ok really. It would take more than a custom stock to help me these days! Pmsl!

les

welcome back to the world of sanity and taste

do tell all your tale of revelation;)

les

welcome back to the world of sanity and taste

do tell all your tale of revelation;)
Eh??? Wot??? Ah, how did you know I'd got new deck shoes and a non mesh Castellani?

not interested in stock makers just interested in stories of peoples experience of custom stocks as in how much of a difference it made to there shooting.

also not interested in any form of pogo stick.
I was really interested in the topic considering the number of people who immediately prescribe custom stocks for transforming ones scores  :cool: , seems not many actually take that route though or at least not many want to talk about it afterwards.  :lol:

yes Hamid I am also quite surprised I thought we would be on for six pages of heated debate.

yes Hamid I am also quite surprised I thought we would be on for six pages of heated debate.
Nah Ian, you need a subject like choke, autos or Mel Sykes to generate that many pages!!! :D

This will be an easy six pages if Ian is looking to change the POI with a custom stock

And which choke would be best with the new POI of course?

And will it work with a Beretta?

Returning to to topic, I wondered what quantifies custom - a serious question.

Last edited by a moderator:
unnecessary and you can always ignore the topic Darkside.  

Returning to to topic, I wondered what quantifies custom - a serious question.
Darkside needs to get a customised charm makeover  :lol: . The way I see it custom must be ground up brand new stock made preferably to your own spec rather than that which someone else says is right.

sian

as Hamid says custom is one made to measure specifically for you and none adjustable. All top trap shooters advocate there use so I thought the topic may be interesting.

but of course I could be talking pish, if that is the case then people are quite welcome not to read it.

ps

I have very broad shoulders and am not easily offended even by people I like.

just saying

check c csian

as Hamid says custom is one made to measure specifically for you and none adjustable. All top trap shooters advocate there use so I thought the topic may be interesting.

but of course I could be talking pish, if that is the case then people are quite welcome not to read it.

ps

I have very broad shoulders and am not easily offended even by people I like.

just saying
but it seems some are now in adjustable jobs Ian! Dont ask me why, cos I don't know. Check out you tube mate, the bloody things are all over the place!

It is my opinion that Custom stocks and stockmaking certainly improve the bank balance of the stockmaker and also massage their rather large ego's.This can be at the cost of the customer's bank balance and their confidence. If the new stock does not instantaneously improve performance , what next?

It fits.. plain and simple in all the right places. The stock I now have, although not from "the ground up" has the right length. Pitch, comb and grip radius. 

All the stocks I've had before invluding adjustable ones have been right in most of the above but although close there's always one that was not quiet right.  In my case usually the grip area which generally have the radius too close to the trigger for my longish fingers. 

My current stock had the right grip but was too long/too high wide when I got it but was then fitted to what I wanted in these areas.

As I'm now not having to contort my hand it's taken all the tension out of my arm/shoulder. 

It just feels right. I honestly don't think comb height is as important as some of the other contact place which affect arm/ body tension. 

Just imo of course. 

agree with comb height Paul. Also agree with rest of it. Analogy would be off the shelf suit fits ok in all places and is wearable, tailor made fits bang on in all places and is a joy to wear.

France is a great place to see custom stocks ... they are mainly standard stocks with a bit of foam held in the appropriate place with duct tape ! Seriously though it depends on the individual and their budget... but if the shooter actually eliminated their own faults first then moved to the gun it would be a more sensible approach than assuming that a custom stock is actually the key. There is however no doubt very many shooters who have benefited from having a custom made stock... nearly as many ,no doubt, having had one made have been left bitterly disappointed by the outcome ?

I can't imagine relegating comb height to some secondary consideration.  For me that would be the most important and the last to be addressed in the whole aspect of gun fitting.  Everything else has to right and then you make the gun shoot where you look.  

If the whole package is not attended to, why bother at all with a custom?

Latest posts

Back