I bought Beretta silver pigeon & its already in for repair

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7iain7

I've always wanted a Beretta silver pigeon, So bought a new one and on the first outing the gun failed intermittently to eject cartigages from the bottom barrel and occasionally failed to eject from both barrels. So tried other makes to see if it was the cartridge.The gun failed to eject four different manufacturers of cartridges reliably.Also sometimes had difficulty in breaking the action when cartridges had failed to eject.

I took the gun home cleaned it lighly oiled and tried a again and tried again but no differnce.So I've sent the Gun to GMK to be fixed. Not good when you spend £1450 on a new gun and within 100 shots and it's in for repair.

I'm machinst in the areospace industry with over 25 years experience and have to say im a little disappointed in the quailty of the finish and machining on my new Beretta SP1

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that mate. What a let down :frown:  

What's the dealer saying?
The dealer is sending the gun to GMK to be fixed.

In all fairness the dealer has been good.I guess the is not a lot he can do.

ejector timing issues is very common on Beretta no big deal to fix takes one min if you know were to hit it with hammer. Could be worse you could have a P gun and need to carry a spare trig spring.

sorry fd no offence intended:)

My mate bought a new 686 a few months ago, same problem. I fixed it for him, wasn't hard.. But a new gun shouldn't do it.

Thanks all for your replys.

How often does the ejector timing need checking ? And is the guide to how to do this ?

My DT11 ejector timing was slightly out on both barrels after about 25000 cartridges, the bottom slightly more than the top barrel. One of GMK's gunsmiths adjusted the timing in about 10 mins at the Beretta Worlds for me. He basically took out the ejectors and filed the part that controls the timing, very gently, putting them back in, testing and taking them back out and polishing until the timing was right. In and out maybe 8-9 times.

My tame gunsmith takes em out bashes em with a hammer puts em back in ..... job done. Have also seen GMK smith do same technique in the old days when they had trade stands at major trap events.

Being it has been 12 days since I took my guns in for repair I thought I would give them a call to see if the was any news.And was told the the gun was ready for collection and think it had been for a while. I was told by the owner of the shop the was nothing wrong with the guns.He said he put 75 cartridges though the gun and "it did not miss a beat" The gun has definitely been fired as the barrels are were clean when i took the gun and they have not bothered to clean them.

I was under the impression the gun was going back to GMK for testing but was told by the gun shop owner that they would have to pay the bill if the was nothing wrong with the gun, so he tested and found nothing wrong with the gun.

I will be trying the gun tomorrow but to be honest I've lost confidence in both the gun and the gun shop owner.  

I would never name the shop as I don't think that would be fair.

I'd be really annoyed at someone using my gun when in for repair. It only needs snap caps to test and rectify.

Shop owner sounds incompetent from what you say. 

I'd write to GMK explaining what has happened.

Ask them what they think and suggest you should do if the problem hasn't gone away.

Or you could send it back to have the forend refitted as it's a beretta and undoubtedly loose you can get them to check the ejectors at the same time. 

I'd be really annoyed at someone using my gun when in for repair. It only needs snap caps to test and rectify.

Ask them what they think and suggest you should do if the problem hasn't gone away.

Or you could send it back to have the forend refitted as it's a beretta and undoubtedly loose you can get them to check the ejectors at the same time. 
I was a bit concerned at how and where the shop had tested the gun. And what would happen if he had scratched or damaged the gun,main concern was how long had the barrels been left in a dirty state. 

I'm going to record the gun failing to eject and then speak to GMK. 

Being it has been 12 days since I took my guns in for repair I thought I would give them a call to see if the was any news.And was told the the gun was ready for collection and think it had been for a while. I was told by the owner of the shop the was nothing wrong with the guns.He said he put 75 cartridges though the gun and "it did not miss a beat" The gun has definitely been fired as the barrels are were clean when i took the gun and they have not bothered to clean them.

I was under the impression the gun was going back to GMK for testing but was told by the gun shop owner that they would have to pay the bill if the was nothing wrong with the gun, so he tested and found nothing wrong with the gun.

I will be trying the gun tomorrow but to be honest I've lost confidence in both the gun and the gun shop owner.  

I would never name the shop as I don't think that would be fair.
Did he charge you £50 for his time and £15 for three boxes of shells for testing your gun?

...I'd be more annoyed if the guy didn't test the gun!!! 

@Darkside if the shop owner is a gunsmith then I would agree, but he's not and neither is the gun fixed. 

from my experience new berettas need fully opening and quite quickly or the ejectors don't eject, they seem to get better after a few months of use. Gun shop chap prob did this whereas op is probably being careful with his new gun hence failiure to eject.

from my experience new berettas need fully opening and quite quickly or the ejectors don't eject, they seem to get better after a few months of use. Gun shop chap prob did this whereas op is probably being careful with his new gun hence failiure to eject.
 I do wonder if I'm having too much mechanical sympathy. But a few times I have been unable to even break the gun open properly after live firing.(works perfectly with snap caps) on examination the spent cartridge brass was deformed and no longer was the brass head at 90 degrees to the cartridge. Almost as if the ejector is forcing the cartridge to tilt and wedging is causing the ejection problem. Because if the push hard down on the ejector I can release the deformed cartridge. 

oh well there is defo a problem then in that case. Could it be the cartridge rather than the gun at fault ?

Latest posts

Back