Sign in to follow this  
Stew

Complaint to Shootclay admin team!

Stew

Guys and ladies.

Why are we continuing to see problems with this site. I don't think it is just me, if it is then disregard this moan.

Cannot send PM's, as seems a common trend on here. Site will not load properly ( I even witnessed this yesterday on Lee Roberts log on) or even loads with old pages. You cannot edit your profile, ie: add a new picture after your original has suddenly disappeared.

This used to be a great web site with all functions working correctly. Whatever you have changed, put it back as it was.

• Like 6

Ian Lawrence

There's a saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so I guess this site got "fixed" if it needed it or not?

Bear with it Stew, it's a great site in reality, so much better than the other options (well the people are nicer!) and I'm sure Matt will have it back to its full brilliance soon (he is some sort of Computer Geek after all. :)

• Like 2

westley

There's a saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so I guess this site got "fixed" if it needed it or not?

Bear with it Stew, it's a great site in reality, so much better than the other options (well the people are nicer!) and I'm sure Matt will have it back to its full brilliance soon (he is some sort of Computer Geek after all. :)

I have to agree, the site has had it's fair share of problems lately. I have struggled for 2 days even getting into the site, but I concur with Ian and feel sure it will be sorted soon.

• Like 1

Rupert

Lets all inbox Stew, as a test.

• Like 1

Bebo
  • I'm sure if you've got real problems with the site Matt will refund your subscription fee.:rolleyes:
Edited by Bebo
so as not to offend the typo police
  • Like 6

Stew

Thanks for the constructive IT input in resolving the issue Bebo,

Maybe a spell check system should also be added to the IT upgrades, it will help with 'Muppet' syndrome for some users!

• Like 2

ShootClay Admin

Guys - am really elbow deep in trying to fix all the problems with the site.  Very sorry for the inconvenience. 

"upgrading" the software wasn't a choice - if we had left the old version, we would have had no support and no pathway to get help for anything. 

I have engineers from the forum vendor, and the hosting company working together to try and fix, and TRUST ME, I don't want to be dealing with these issues anymore than you do. 

Normal service will be resumed and I'll get everything fixed ASAP. 

• Like 5

Stew

Guys - am really elbow deep in trying to fix all the problems with the site.  Very sorry for the inconvenience. 

"upgrading" the software wasn't a choice - if we had left the old version, we would have had no support and no pathway to get help for anything. 

I have engineers from the forum vendor, and the hosting company working together to try and fix, and TRUST ME, I don't want to be dealing with these issues anymore than you do. 

Normal service will be resumed and I'll get everything fixed ASAP. 

Thank you for finally getting back to everyone and we can be assured that things will be fixed.Time to fix will be the deciding factor I think. Good luck with it.

ShootClay Admin

So - the access issues that plagued us over the weekend seem to be now fixed, they were caused by a mistake in the code that was uploaded to try and fix the PM issue. 

Unfortunately - the forum support people had a public holiday (July 4th) over the weekend, so things took a while to resolve. Now, we've switched off a few features (the header graphic, some menu items) to make sure that everything works OK - and then we'll get to fixing the PM thing that everyone seems to clamour for. 

As for complaints - please give me a chance - I do this in my spare time, for free and make very little money doing it. If anyone wants a refund for their membership subs, let me know an address and I'll send a cheque :wink:

Just so everyone is aware - this site has grown in the the last year - from 250,000 page views a month, to nearly 500,000 last month - keeping it running requires a decent amount of time and some faith that the software will work as designed - I am, contrary to belief, not an expert in building and running forums - this is a learning curve for me as well.  

When things go wrong, I don't sit around drinking champagne from the vast cash reserves that I have made from the site - I work to get them resolved, but have to rely on other people to help me - sometimes even they don't know what is causing the problem. 

Coming on the site and reading complaints and snide comments in threads doesn't really motivate me that much. 

• Like 24

Finners

Thank you for finally getting back to everyone and we can be assured that things will be fixed.Time to fix will be the deciding factor I think. Good luck with it.

Am I alone in finding the addition of the word "finally" in this remark a bit out of order? How dare you take a pop at Matt, as he says he does this for our benefit not his. Think you can do better...........?

Rant over :yell: 

• Like 7

westley

So - the access issues that plagued us over the weekend seem to be now fixed, they were caused by a mistake in the code that was uploaded to try and fix the PM issue.

Unfortunately - the forum support people had a public holiday (July 4th) over the weekend, so things took a while to resolve. Now, we've switched off a few features (the header graphic, some menu items) to make sure that everything works OK - and then we'll get to fixing the PM thing that everyone seems to clamour for.

As for complaints - please give me a chance - I do this in my spare time, for free and make very little money doing it. If anyone wants a refund for their membership subs, let me know an address and I'll send a cheque :wink:

Just so everyone is aware - this site has grown in the the last year - from 250,000 page views a month, to nearly 500,000 last month - keeping it running requires a decent amount of time and some faith that the software will work as designed - I am, contrary to belief, not an expert in building and running forums - this is a learning curve for me as well.

When things go wrong, I don't sit around drinking champagne from the vast cash reserves that I have made from the site - I work to get them resolved, but have to rely on other people to help me - sometimes even they don't know what is causing the problem.

Coming on the site and reading complaints and snide comments in threads doesn't really motivate me that much.

It wasn't you who needed a bloody Beretta extractor in a hurry !       :( 

ShootClay Admin

There are a few people at the makers of the forum software who might need an extractor - for removing my size 9. 

• Like 3

Stew

Well done Matt, you have sorted mine at least, and mine was a mess. I appreciate the time spent keeping this site running and know you well enough that you are not running it as a charity. Even though the subs are seriously high for this site! :cry:

Nothing personal in my complaint, hence why the first question was asked to all Shoot Clay admin team.

Good to see we have some people still on here who wish to 'challenge' comments and questions. I thought with Nicola gone, all was lost. :wink:        Well done Matt.

Stew

• Like 3

ShootClay Admin

Right - an update....

After a week of playing Postman Pat between the guys who write the forum software, and the supergeeks that run the server(s) that we are hosted on - I feel 90% confident that we have got to the bottom of our problems. 

Last night we uncovered that a small set of files in the core of the forum software were not 'writable', and so the forum was unable to use the properly.  For those that care, we CHMOD'ed the files overnight, and now I am waiting for the forum software guys to wake up and test whatever components have not been working. 

I'll update as soon as I know that things are looking better. 

• Like 3

ShootClay Admin

OK - can confirm (thanks Sian for testing) that PM's appear to be working now... 

Matt

• Like 1

Stew

Well done Matt and team. Just sent you at test PM, and all is sexy.

Now go and get a bottle of Champagne from your vault and get some sleep.

Stew

ShootClay Admin

'team' - lol.... 

• Like 3

chippy

Right - an update....

After a week of playing Postman Pat between the guys who write the forum software, and the supergeeks that run the server(s) that we are hosted on - I feel 90% confident that we have got to the bottom of our problems. 

Last night we uncovered that a small set of files in the core of the forum software were not 'writable', and so the forum was unable to use the properly.  For those that care, we CHMOD'ed the files overnight, and now I am waiting for the forum software guys to wake up and test whatever components have not been working. 

I'll update as soon as I know that things are looking better. 

before you did all this, did you try turning it off and back on again?

• Like 4

Rupert

Is totalgun ever coming?

Ian Lawrence

Is totalgun ever coming?

Good point!

Coming in May, but which May?  May-be it is, May-be it isn't?

Anyone know who's behind it and what it's all about. Website only, or shop?