OT Tips

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V8 90

In a couple of weeks time (after our hols) I'm going to tackle OT for the first time - looking for some pointers, tips etc.

I'll scour YouTube whilst away, watch what I can and digest as much as my tiny mind can take in?

The best I can come up with is don't move your gun until you have seen the target properly. The temptation is , because the target is so much faster than say a DTL target, to move the gun too early. Go and watch what is going on before you shoot watch a round to get and idea of the angles and speed and where you are going to look for the target. After that it is the same as any other trap clay target game, with some crazy angles and target height's, get your feet set up right and gun on your chosen gun hold point I am right handed and hold about 250mm above the front edge and slightly right of centre soft focus two or possibly three fingers above the front edge but some hold the gun much higher and get great results however I find a low hold point generates my gun speed. The main thing is don't panic and move the gun too quickly you do have the time to see it well first then really move your gun and smash it. Good luck its great fun and the pinnacle of trap shooting despite what you may have heard ! Someone with greater experience than myself will be along soon to give you some worth while info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have an experiment for a few outings, find what feels comfortable and relaxed, then stick to it, don't bugger about changing things and don't get bogged down in the 'Science' for at least a year or so. There will be many people wanting to give advise, be very picky as to whose advice you follow, as with most sports there is a lot of BS out there. See it, Shoot it, enjoy.

agree with el sid

best thing to do is just shoot the first thing that comes out. Over analysis WILL result in many misses. Trust me

Remember to mount on the mark in front of your station. Not the centre of the trench

Nearly did the opposite last weekend a couple times shooting ABT. Good job the OT marks were covered. Still a doh!!  moment though ?

Thanks for the advise guys - when I got my hold points adjust/sorted for the ABT last weekend at Beverly it made loads of difference - only wish I'd clicked on Saturday but great learning curve !

you will be fine mate OT just ABT off peg 3. Honest it us.

The pause is really what kills most people. The majority of losses are because people get twitchy and race after the target as soon as they have called pull because they think that it is going a million miles an hour and if they don't shoot it RIGHT NOW then they will never be able to hit it. Relax, call for the target, let it get out of the trap house and your eyes have locked on to it then move your gun and shoot the target, all this happens in less than a second but that 0.5s of a pause is more than enough for your eyes to catch the target and do all the sub-concious calculations and wizardry needed to kill the target. 

Back