HPX Perazzi review.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Hewland

I received a great invitation from Andy Simmons (Simbo, of this forum) to come and try out the HPX Perazzi shotguns as produced by John Jefferies. I met with Andy and his brother Dave, who hosted me all day, very kindly indeed. They are HPX converts both, not to mention decent shots.

The very short explanation of the HPX concept is that the stocks and barrels are special, with a high comb and a rising barrel rib (different versions for different requirements). The high view point at the comb means that the rib rises to meet the eye-line, if that makes sense. In short, the shooter sees a large amount of rising rib, which in a normal gun would appear to be a recipe for shooting well above the line of sight. The point of this is to effectively drop the action and first part of the rib below the shooters sight-line and offer better peripheral vision. I suggested to John that his concept was all about “clearing the clutter”, which he liked and agreed with.

Rather than me try and explain the concept and company in greater detail, please see http://www.perazzihpxshotguns.com/why-choose-perazzi-hpx/

So, on May 30th, I attended a day that started at the HPX shooting ground in Alfriston, East Sussex a rolling section of land that HPX uses to prove its products. It is very scenic; a dramatic wave of hills and a valley, making Westfield look like a car-park. The traps are mostly based on hill-tops, offering some very high and wide targets. John prefers standard clays as they fly further than midis; but mostly they looked like midis, such was the scale. He also had some teal and closer crossing birds for the more simple evaluations.

Firstly, I was approximately fitted with a 33” barrelled HPX DSR; a two stage rising rib gun and the model most intended for competition clays. Sure enough, I could see at a LOT of rib, but instantly killed all the medium range loopers, then most of the long range loopers and teal that I was shown. I was doing nothing differently, so the gun was certainly shooting where I was looking. I did find the triggers a bit light, but beautifully set up, with all play eliminated. It took me a couple of shots to fin-tune my trigger finger. Then we moved on to some big driven and crossing targets. Thankfully the crossers showed their face, which was handy as the longest ones late in the day were at least 70 yards out. We shot 24g 6 shot game cartridges, which were needed on the longest stuff.

I found the guns easy to use and we smashed some simply huge targets. Big delays between firing and watching the clays break at times. The word awesome is now diluted ever since Americans began using it to describe everything that is mediocre or above, but it was a good literal adjective for some of the targets we shot.

John Jefferies has a big name in the gun-fitting world and I was pleased to understand and agree with all he said, as he swapped stocks and judged fit. For his customers, he is very detailed and will only oil a stock after it has been shot and readjusted as necessary.

Lunchtime! Andy supplied a great blokes-picnic of steak and ale pie, sausages, side dishes and modestly alcoholic local stout, which we consumed watching the amazing country around us in the sunshine. Lovely.

We finished at Alfriston at around 2pm, by shooting some huge driven targets and more massively wide loopers. I was now shooting one of the game guns, which was slightly longer and more comfortable to me after John had set me up a semi try-stock on it. Another 33” barrel set I think. The game rib is a constant slope rather than two stage, but the effect was very similar to me. I loved this gun, as it balanced like my own, weighed about 8.7lbs and I just couldn’t miss the high driven and clouted most of the big loopers. I smashed the first few, then my brain kept questioning the sheer amount of lead needed and I slowed a touch and missed a few behind. I saw a good 20 feet, plus a decent consideration of arc in the line of course.

So, here were these lovely guns and amazing scenery and targets. For sure, no special technique was needed to drive these guns, it all felt natural, but I was wondering how this translated to the real world of competition clays. Close stuff, rabbits etc. So, I borrowed this last gun and we left John and moved off to Northall shooting ground a bit further north; which had a pretty severe Sportrap layout on. All pretty long targets actually, so my test on the short stuff didn’t actually happen, but I would be surprised if they would have thrown up a difficulty. I totally misread a high R-L crosser, which wasn’t hard, but needed much more lead than I thought, so I missed it 4 or 5 times! My score was consequently poor, but the other kills had been good on the layout, featuring loopers, a trap target and crossers various. This was a lovely gun.

For comparison, I got my own standard MX12 out for a second round of the Sportrap. Well, firstly when I shouldered it, I was suddenly conscious of the action in my view. I hadn’t noticed it before, but I could notice it now. I missed the first three targets out, simply because my trigger felt so heavy and I could not pull it smoothly. In fairness, I am a big believer with gun-familiarity (good or bad) being critical. Swapping back to my own gun was odd and not nice, but I did reacclimatise soon after.

So.. does everybody need an HPX Perazzi? Well, it certainly works as intended and I think that for certain people if offers a target acquisition capability that can be capitalised upon. Like so many elements and features of different guns, it will hugely suit some people. I would go so far as to say that I would be surprised if somebody found it “wrong” for them. If I was pressed to come up with a counter argument for the HPX principle I might say that it is perhaps solving a problem I personally haven’t got? It certainly did nothing negative for me and did make my own gun seem slightly odd upon my return to it. If I had no gun and had to go out and get one? Probably an HPX!

John Jefferies knows his stuff and for anybody who is intrigued by the idea, I recommend trying it..

Photos to follow shortly..

Great report and pictures Will looks a lovely place and lovely guns with a very knowledgable man just have to save lots of my pennies to even consider a visit for fear of wanting one :whistle:

Do you happen to know the weight of the 33" barrels ? 

I know that shooters love gimmicks and the gimmicks always are just superduper but this still seems the answer to the question nobody asked. 

I mean, a rib-less barrel and a front sight on a block is exactly the same thing so just jack up the comb to match the sight and WOW can I ever see better!!!  Is that BFD material or what?

I'm thinkin the gun equivalent of some new clothes for a  whatever.  And like I mentioned before in regard to these things is that Al Ljutic did the same thing with his short rib and no rib spaceguns about 40 years ago.  

anyway, JMO but I know I'm not worrying about saving for it

Last edited by a moderator:
The barrels themselves? No I don't, but they were light with no centre ribbing. The gun I used was balanced behind the pin, but maybe the try stock was heavy. I would say that dynamically they felt very similar to mine.

I've only held a couple of HPX's including a certain 33" one which felt really light, almost as though the stock and fore end were hollow, that's why I'm interested. 

RSR (reverse slope rib, clay & game) 1550g to 1580g without side ribs. From 1580g to 1610g with half side ribs.

DSR (double slope rib, dedicated clay) + 30g in each case.

All barrel weights are customised to individual requirements.

My 33" DSR overall weight is 8lb 10oz & Dave's 34" DSR is 8lb 12oz

Was it Charlie Milne's RSR you picked up? If yes, his weighed considerably less than ours because he's about 8 stone lighter than Dave and 30years older!!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only held a couple of HPX's including a certain 33" one which felt really light, almost as though the stock and fore end were hollow, that's why I'm interested. 
Hammy, in answer to your original question I have a set of 33" barrels on my HPX and they weigh exactly 1.62kg, just what is stamped on the tubes themselves. My gun is the standard STR model and has a slightly raised top rib and a ventilated mid-rib. It also has the brass blade as a fore-sight. I love Perazzis and this model is no exception.

Was it Charlie Milne's RSR you picked up? If yes, his weighed considerably less than ours because he's about 8 stone lighter than Dave and 30years older!!! :D
​Oddly enough it belonged to a 6'7"+ giant of a man whom I met at a clay shoot but he did say it was bought for his game shooting. 

I shot Andy's HPX at shoreham on a pool shoot layout and hit almost everything I pointed the damned thing at. It certainly suits me and I looked at and came very, very close to laying some money down on a new one after spending a session with JJ at Alfriston but the wife needed a new car!

I'm a fan and I'll be talking to John in the not too distant future.

good report will.

BUT

I must be a complete thicko because however much I read about this upside-down inside-out-reverse rib thing I still don't get the concept ?

good report will.

BUT

I must be a complete thicko because however much I read about this upside-down inside-out-reverse rib thing I still don't get the concept ?
​Ian, I think its kinda like looking along the rib of a trap gun with a very high stock, you see lots of rib and shoots very high. But this gun has the feel of being high but shoots somewhat flatter than it appears.....I think!!

still don't get it mate. If your right then why not use a trap gun with high comb ?

if its all about peripheral vision why not use a high rib ?

I am not knocking it or saying anything derogatory I just cant get my tiny brain around it.

Latest posts

Back