'Caddied Round'

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Hi

What exactly is a 'Caddied Round'? Is this instruction or is it babysitting?

I wonder why some grounds only offer this?

Thanks

They push the buttons for you and will offer you some advice whether you want it or not.  It's not official instruction so far as I am concerned or understand.

Grounds like Churchills and West London are always caddied I think.  

Yes unfortunately added cost but a lovely ground and their caddies are very friendly.

It does seem expensive; but there are two key benefits. Firstly, discuss with the caddy what you want to shoot and it can be tailored for you. Also you can stop at one stand and keep playing there if you want to work it out. While the caddy is not supposed to "instruct", they will offer tips and advice. (Dave is very good). Its good value in terms of learning and I did this once a week when I first started properly. It meant I never was in C class when I started competitions 8 months later. Look at membership, as it returns your money fast if you do this regularly; especially on first time joining, where I think they throw in some free rounds or a lesson.

This wasn't at Churchills but another high end shoot.

I asked the details about their caddies round and was told at this ground it was £56 for a caddied 100 practice sporting, this was up to an hour with the caddie and then £20 per 100 extra clays used in that hour. Then £7 corkage on your own cartridge's!!!

Thought it was pretty pricey but wanted to treat a couple client. 

When it came to paying, they charged for the caddie three times even though we only hand one caddie and returned within the hour!

I assumed it wouldn't make a difference how many people shot as long as we didn't go over the hour. But I was wrong.

Ended up costing a fortune!

Just make sure your clear before going!

The other very good EJ Churchill opportunities are the Wednesday and Thursday evenings; from 3pm.

Wednesday is £6 for 25 bird layouts, STR and skeet. No booking, all with scorers included.

Thursday evenings £17 for 5 sporting over 5 or 6 stands, scorers included. No booking.

does this mean they carry your guns,cartridges and other equipment,while advising you on the correct shot size,choke and technique/lead for each target? :wink:

does this mean they carry your guns,cartridges and other equipment,while advising you on the correct shot size,choke and technique/lead for each target? :wink:
​Only if you get the Top Caddie............................for short he is known as the 'T' Caddie !

It does seem expensive; but there are two key benefits. Firstly, discuss with the caddy what you want to shoot and it can be tailored for you. Also you can stop at one stand and keep playing there if you want to work it out. While the caddy is not supposed to "instruct", they will offer tips and advice. (Dave is very good). Its good value in terms of learning and I did this once a week when I first started properly. It meant I never was in C class when I started competitions 8 months later. Look at membership, as it returns your money fast if you do this regularly; especially on first time joining, where I think they throw in some free rounds or a lesson.
This is the reason why I have joined EJC.  

I get 3 free caddied rounds then after each round is £39.50, this will be good for me because I can put in to good practice what I learned from Ed on my own with only having to concentrate on myself only.

The other very good EJ Churchill opportunities are the Wednesday and Thursday evenings; from 3pm.

Wednesday is £6 for 25 bird layouts, STR and skeet. No booking, all with scorers included.

Thursday evenings £17 for 5 sporting over 5 or 6 stands, scorers included. No booking.
Yes I saw that , will be trying it out next Thursday, couple of hours trip for me, hope it's worth it!

Yes I saw that , will be trying it out next Thursday, couple of hours trip for me, hope it's worth it!
Not sure I would drive that far for 50 sporting anywhere! Better to do the Wednesday as you can get 4 x 25 layouts shot.

or wait until the next reg shoot, June 4th, that is a great 100 bird ESP, last entries 6pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
another plus regarding the Thursdays at Churchills is that the stands normally have more than two traps so you have a wider choice of which targets to practice.

Not sure I would drive that far for 50 sporting anywhere! Better to do the Wednesday as you can get 4 x 25 layouts shot.

or wait until the next reg shoot, June 4th, that is a great 100 bird ESP, last entries 6pm.
I was hoping to be able to shoot twice... Take your point about Weds and the 4th June, sadly work gets in the way of fun (again!)

I was hoping to be able to shoot twice... Take your point about Weds and the 4th June, sadly work gets in the way of fun (again!)
You can certainly go round twice. But also consider the reg shoot which you can do on a practice card.

Latest posts

Back