first shoot in 10years....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

well, i cant wipe the smile off my face. I'd really forgotten how much i enjoy shooting trap!

went to stroud & district today and had a fab morning shooting skeet (thats weird and i am crap at it!), DTL and ABT. Met some really friendly guys too which made it all the more pleasant. Tim was a fab host for a newbie. Thanks Tim and what a well kept ground but that wind was starting to get evil!

talk about needing to blow the cobwebs off! I managed to borrow a miroku 3800 sporter (shot v flat, 14.5in stock so was a bit small, 1/2 & 1/1, 7.5s fibre wad hull things) and did 100DTL and 25 ABT. ironically shot a 24 on the ABT and worse on the DTL (20, 22,23, 24, it was v windy). really enjoyed the speed of the ABT and shot like a numpty on the DTL, miss the straight ones off meg 4 and 5! stupid!

well, now the dilema will be do i go down the route of a cheaper miroku trap (had one before and shot well with it) which shoots flatter and all i know at this point or get something more substantial that prob shoots a touch higher? (or a miroku and adj stock to work out whats good for me).

so much uncertainty! I liked the light nature and pointability of the miroku and am worried that anything heavier will be pants. I liked the CG i picked up but guess i need to try it. Not sure i'll need multichokes.... even if i use it for skeet as can learn the hard way!

i can see this getting expensive. not smiled that much for ages!

There's plenty can shoot 100 DTL but nobody in the country averages 24 at ABT. Way to go. Ian Peel won his silver medal at Sydney with his Miroku - Ian always had a leather patch as a comb raiser. Never seen him shoot better than with that gun. If you're anywhere near 6ft consider a 32" for trap though it sounds like you don't need much help.

Good luck

40UP

There's plenty can shoot 100 DTL but nobody in the country averages 24 at ABT. Way to go. Ian Peel won his silver medal at Sydney with his Miroku - Ian always had a leather patch as a comb raiser. Never seen him shoot better than with that gun. If you're anywhere near 6ft consider a 32" for trap though it sounds like you don't need much help.

Good luck

40UP
i'm 6ft 2. I suspect the 24 at ABT was luck! I think averaging 24 and a one off fluke 24 round might be 2 different things! really enjoyed the unpredicatability and speed of it though. Found with DTL is switched off a bit as soon as i missed one.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no coming back from a missed target at DTL. You can always fight your way back at ABT. By the way - luck doesn't come into it shooting 24 at ABT. You didn't get all straight targets did you? The first time I say Ian Peel attempt OT he fluked all 25.

There's no coming back from a missed target at DTL. You can always fight your way back at ABT. By the way - luck doesn't come into it shooting 24 at ABT. You didn't get all straight targets did you? The first time I say Ian Peel attempt OT he fluked all 25.
ah but he has talent...

i mainly had wide right handers, a few high left handers and a couple of the fast straight/quartering flat ones u have to dig out the ground. was bloody windy though which prob helped some wild shooting!

The door of opportunity opens wide. You'll have setbacks. Your expectations will be too high. Keep out of competitions. Get to a high standard on a ground you like. Don't get out of your depth too quickly. Try a secondhand Miroku at a gunshop with a ball-trap - they won't mind if you pay for your targets and don't buy. Ian Coley's would be ideal - don't tell me he doesn't have an ABT in the double trap layout. Phil?

The door of opportunity opens wide. You'll have setbacks. Your expectations will be too high. Keep out of competitions. Get to a high standard on a ground you like. Don't get out of your depth too quickly. Try a secondhand Miroku at a gunshop with a ball-trap - they won't mind if you pay for your targets and don't buy. Ian Coley's would be ideal - don't tell me he doesn't have an ABT in the double trap layout. Phil?
if i hit 80 in ABT i'd be cock-a-hoop! I'm just in it for some fun, I need a no pressure passtime for a few years! Can say that i suspect this isnt going to be an expensive one! How do people afford to shoot more than 2-3 times a week!

Some at the top of Sporting and DTL try to make the prizemoney pay it's way.

Some shoot locally with their mates and enjoy every minute - they're a friendly bunch

The ultimate pinnacle is an Olympic Podium Potential athlete who is salaried to the national wage and all expenses paid. The price for this is all your time, away from home, no career outside shooting and they may not want you in 3 years time.

When I hear of foreign team members practicing 1000 per day I also fear for their physical health but there's always another one where they came from. There are also stories of the Chinese having 400 shooters in regional training camps competing head to head for even their team places.

Can be serious stuff. I shoot Sporting for fun and Trap for competition.

Some at the top of Sporting and DTL try to make the prizemoney pay it's way.

Some shoot locally with their mates and enjoy every minute - they're a friendly bunch

The ultimate pinnacle is an Olympic Podium Potential athlete who is salaried to the national wage and all expenses paid. The price for this is all your time, away from home, no career outside shooting and they may not want you in 3 years time.

When I hear of foreign team members practicing 1000 per day I also fear for their physical health but there's always another one where they came from. There are also stories of the Chinese having 400 shooters in regional training camps competing head to head for even their team places.

Can be serious stuff. I shoot Sporting for fun and Trap for competition.
crikey, i'd hate that, family is everything and i love my career/job! I like the friendly atmosphere at clubs and yesterday was testament to that. I'm def in it for fun but i'd like to do a few good 'shoots'. I am not sure if you ahve a targets thread but i'm sure knowing me i'll end up with a few to keep me focused. I enjoy trap, particularly ABT/UT/OT (but rubbish at it) and DTL although seem to have a threshold for it. I'd like to do a 25 straight at skeet just to purge the experience on sunday!

Well if you want to do some more DTL shooting, we have the West Midlands Area DTL Championship this Sunday. Give us a call if you would like to book a slot, or just turn up between 8.30am and 12.30 pm.

It would be great to see you :)

Julia

Nottingham & District Gun Club

01623 883798

Well if you want to do some more DTL shooting, we have the West Midlands Area DTL Championship this Sunday. Give us a call if you would like to book a slot, or just turn up between 8.30am and 12.30 pm.

It would be great to see you :)

Julia

Nottingham & District Gun Club

01623 883798
Thanks Julia. I think i'd need a lot more practice before competing! I'm coming back from a wedding sunday so dont fancy travelling and a baggy head anywhere near loud explosions!

:)

Well get practising and hopefully we will see you when you're ready! ;)

Hangovers and shooting grounds do not mix - I speak from recent experience, last sunday was hell after an all-dayer!

Well get practising and hopefully we will see you when you're ready! ;)

Hangovers and shooting grounds do not mix - I speak from recent experience, last sunday was hell after an all-dayer!
ouch!

100 ABT happens but by far the most famous is Ian Peel's 2 x 200 straight, 20 years inbetween and at major championships.

Probably the gold medal for doing it when it really counts was Bob Braithwaite for Great Britain as far back as 1968 - shooting the last 187 straight at the Mexico Olympics on Olympic Trap. Anecdote has it that he threw up in the taxi on the way back from the medal ceremony [sorry Bob]

A notable milestone never breached - we have never had a Senior World Champion at Olympic Trap or Olympic Skeet although an Olympics Gold Medal is rated higher. Plenty of Junior World Champions no Seniors. I could say Double Trap as well but Peter Boden holds that ranking.

Latest posts

Back