Pre Shoot warm ups

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyosk

not sure this is the right topic for this area but feels right. How do you/should you approach warming up for a round ?

I can warm up muscles before shooting (although i don't always do it !) but how do you warm up your eyes ?

I sometimes find that the first 5 stations can be very poor before starting to find a more consistent shooting timing.

I'd like to know your thoughts or routines..?

thanks

You can't really warm up your eyes. Eye muscles are quite different from skeletal muscles in that the loading doesn't vary and they never tire. (Tired eyes are not the same as tired eye muscles) The best way to prepare for any vision based activity is to loosen up the neck by stretching and flexing. "Exercising" the eyes by alternately staring for 10 seconds at objects near and far not only does no good it can actually reduce visual acuity. It may seem counter intuitive but the eye muscles work best when they are relaxed. Vision should be effortless; trying or straining to see should always be avoided.

You can't really warm up your eyes. Eye muscles are quite different from skeletal muscles in that the loading doesn't vary and they never tire. (Tired eyes are not the same as tired eye muscles) The best way to prepare for any vision based activity is to loosen up the neck by stretching and flexing. "Exercising" the eyes by alternately staring for 10 seconds at objects near and far not only does no good it can actually reduce visual acuity. It may seem counter intuitive but the eye muscles work best when they are relaxed. Vision should be effortless; trying or straining to see should always be avoided.
Very good advice - the other option is to do some visualisation exercises prior to shooting, not really warming the eyes up, but preparing the brain with mental stimuli of seeing targets.

thanks very much for the advice i'll try it next time and let you know whether i can improve my first line !

as a follow up can i ask about exercise at home, coming from a skeet background we would always dry mount and swing through a round at home. is it a valuable tool for trap where the mount is less under pressure as in skeet ?

thanks again. ?

Latest posts

Back