Oxford Gun Company - FAIL

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducky

Visited OGC a couple of times on the recommendation of a friend, but I have to say I was disappointed in the service I received at the shop (no comment on the shooting ground as I've never used it).  As a newbie browsing for a gun, I had an idea in mind of what I was after, but unsure of brand and fitting.

The person who served me presented me with a B525 with a 28" barrel and after a quick size up advised this was the perfect gun and I should buy it now, as they would not have another for at least 3 months because it was so popular.  Needless to say I would prefer to think it over given the money involved, and do some more research on the gun before purchasing.  I did ask if perhaps I should have some professional lessons before buying a gun (to give me a better understanding of what I'm after), and the older gent serving me said I should buy the gun now and then have lessons, but his younger colleague said I should have lessons first and then buy a gun (this is what I did in the end).  So conflicting advice even though they were both standing next to me, which made it even more confusing! .

Anyway, I didn't buy the gun and left....which was lucky as the gun they were selling was the older 525, and not the more recent one (2014) with the gold trigger - Sportster One I think, so I can only assume he was trying to offload old stock (who's going to want it now the newer one is out)!

Still everyone likes a second chance and so I went back again to grab a few bits (I had a gift voucher from a friend), but what annoyed me this time is that items advertised as say £7.95 and £4.95, were rounded up to £8 and £5 by the same employee who served me before!  Now I'm not going to call the police about 5p ;), but if you're selling something at £4.95 then that's the price it should be, not rounding it up for your convenience (or pocket)! 

Not to mention I literally had to argue with him for my change back (long story I'll not go into here)!

Just my 2 pence worth, but I guess you can imagine that OGC are not on my list of must visits if I need any equipment! . :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I had exactly the same experience some years back when I was looking for my wifes first shotgun. I stood in the background and just listened to the 'help' and 'advice' that my wife was being given. Strange how the very first gun that she was given (Browning 325) was perfect for her, and she should not handle any other make or model.

My wife eventually turned round and asked what I thought......so I told them politely, and also that we would be leaving and taking our money elsewhere.

I did get some dirty looks from DF when I saw him on the circuit the following day.

Nothing has changed in years, I went in looking for my first gun 6 years ago.

Would not let me hold the gun I was interested in, saying when you pass your test you should not jump into a Ferrari, still not sure what they were trying to sell me.

Walked out, bought where they offer true advice.

The advice they have given about airguns and ownership is also shocking, told one old chap he had to buy .22 as they were going to ban .177. I assume they only had the .22 in stock.

I went back for a days shooting instruction, That was a complete waste of money as well, i was told on a few stands that I would not be shooting as I would not hit them so had to watch the other 2 guys shoot.

The only gun shop that will never see a penny of my money again.

Glad I've read these comments as I had been tempted to try there on occasions. I've watched a few episodes of The Schools Challenge and they do seem to favour certain brands. On one of the recent episodes, DF discusses gun choice and it was interesting as to what he said.... I imagine they mainly sell to the naive/newbie.

Some shocking stuff above.

I like the imminent ban on 177 ;)

They have a good stock of low to medium level guns and presumably they can be tried on their ground. I went there there because I knew what I was looking for and didn't really want their advice. But they did offer their advice, which was good for a laugh.

I've been to the ground a couple of times recently and the shooting itself was fine with a good mix of targets but I thought that they were a bit of an odd bunch in the shop.  I was with a friend and we both thought that we were being watched as we walked round, so much as my mate was going to buy some trousers there but paid more at EJC as they were more welcoming.

I brought one gun off them about 4 years ago. A nice 20g which was marked up wrong and wasn't the model they were saying it was! Brought it for £600 under market value and sold it for £475 profit a week later.

Brilliant shop in my eyes :-D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back