Pre shot routine....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleBarrelledDon

Ok folks....just interested to hear your thoughts on the article in this months Pull....have had a couple of people ring me up to say its been useful, how many people actually have one and what does yours entail?

I don't recieve Pull magazine but never mind. Mainly feet in the right place, muzzle just below trajectory of clay, switch brain off, call pull and bang. If I do not look at the gun everything works nearly all the time.

I have, and more importantly use, a pre-shot routine but it's very much work in progress at the moment finding out what works and what I can recall during shooting. Mine entails so simple self talk words mixed with physical actions to stop me over thinking things. So far so good, but always room for improvement!

I do - like Nick - it involves clearing my mind as much as possible and trying to forget what happened on the pair before. So I have set routine as I wait and enter the cage, followed by a 'pattern' I like to follow in between pairs. It doesn't always work, so I am continuing to fine tune.

Matt, if you hit the pair before, that needs to be remembered, not forgotten about, as that is how your sight pictures develop.

Actually - that may not work for everyone... I try not to 'photocopy' what happened on the last pair, because that can lead to checking and stopping - I try and do the same thing again without thinking about it too much - one of my (many) problems is overthinking my shooting.

Case in point - I quite often straight the first stand of the day, eight times out of ten I walk to the first stand and straight it, I'm relaxed, not thinking and acting on instinct and my first read of the target. If I could make every stand the 'first of the day', I would be scoring much better. That's what I am trying to recreate everytime I step up, I have a sight picture and a plan and I try to have only that plan in my head. If I miss, I may reassess and adjust - but I want that clear headed instinctive feeling, I will not get that by thinking about the last pair dead.

No, dont think about it, just store it in your mind for when you shoot them again. If you want to shot well by instinct learn to shoot gun down, it's so easy when it "clicks" in.

Mine is ***** ****** *** ******** ************** ** ****** ******* when ****** ****** *** ***** * * ** * *********** **** ************ **** shoot ***** ** * ***** * ******** ***** and then **** ** **** ******* *** If you *** ***** ***** ********** ******* ? This helps to ***** ** ****** *********** at ***** ************* ******* *** ***** * ** ********. Simples. :D

Come and have a lesson and I'll repeat it all. :D :p

:D :D ......I am with Rob.

The whole point about pre shot routines is that each is personal to yourself and serious competition shooters never give away what works for them.

I have mine.......and I am not for sharing........ (until of course I retire from competitive shooting). :D :D

Last edited:
Seemed to work on Saturday Nic. I watched you get your game face on... I did not enjoy the result.

Seemed to work on Saturday Nic. I watched you get your game face on... I did not enjoy the result.
I know I cannot help frowning when I am concentrating. :wink:

You shot it really well as well.....one to watch!

I think trap shooters have more visible routines between shots.I know one veteran DTL shooter who adjusts his cartridges so that the writing on the base is the right way up, touches his cap then pulls his nose.

It's all about concentration I guess.

I read somewhere about taking deep breaths just before shooting which I now do,between pairs as well,and I've always shrugged my shoulders.

One thing I try not to do is mentally 'shoot' every shooters clays in front of me.

Vic.

I think a pre-shot routine is essential for sporting clays. Like Nicola mine is personal although I am sure the friends I shoot with would be able to describe it in detail.I find it helps me keep my mind in the present,It keeps me in the" zone".It helps me use my subconscious rather than conscious mind( or achieve the correct left brain/right brain balance if you prefer).If I follow it my scores are much better than when I do not.

Remembering to load the gun???????????.Forgot twice sunday was busy watching Glen on next stand and forgot to put a new shell in. Richard Head.

Remembering to load the gun???????????.Forgot twice sunday was busy watching Glen on next stand and forgot to put a new shell in. Richard Head.
(Smiley type - // :/Laughing out loud and clapping Elvis - //:-/).

"I have mine.......and I am not for sharing........ (until of course I retire from competitive shooting). "

. Thought you had. Seen you shoot. Pray please tell Miss.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
perhaps this is where i go so wrong, i just shoot and hope. apart from putting shells in the gun i cant think i do anything else

Latest posts

Back