Home International in Mill Hill

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sporting shot

Possibly the toughest weekend of sporting clays I've shot since I started sporting clays but DEFINATELY ONE OF THE MOST ENJOYABLE AND CHALLENGING weekends also! The wind did play havoc on all 3 days, but take nothing away from Martin Myers for his score of 88 on Friday, that was in my opinion about 4 clays over what should have been on it. It was a round of clays that you had to keep digging and challenging yourself against the targets. For those of you who were there, did we all over-read the targets a little??? I mean there were some huge (and I mean huge) targets there, but there wasn't a single target not broken by all the squad....... Did some people make more of them that was required (me included)? Plus we all missed some silly targets that wasnt caused by the wind or the targets..... it was just us! Everything that had distance was showing a good deal of face or belly (nothing edge on) and the use of different colour targets meant there were no eye-sight tests. The International on Saturday was hit even harder by the wind and rain (and sun at times) but once again everyone was tested by the targets! Chris Bloomfield's score for high gun of 83 shows the level of shooting plus there were only approx 7 scores of 80 or higher. But seeing as this was the Home International with each countries best shooters being sent forward to represent their country I felt this shoot tested the best shooters with the quality of targets worthy of such an event! Well done England for their winning score of 788 (i think)! The shoot-off for the various high guns and overall runner up of the match was superb. An excellent display of shootings (especially on the middle stand) thrilled the remaining on-lookers. Well done to Ed Solomons for taking the runner-up position (even with a little luck on the middle stand where the second target of the pair seemed to run into his first shot)! As for yesterday, the novel idea of 120 targets over 18 stands was abit of a marathon, but none the less very enjoyable. The addition of 2 stands of "Super-Sporting" was a nice touch. Dont get me wrong, it was a shoot which demanded the up-most respect or you were in trouble. The weather was kind to most too (apart from the wind) and the score from Chris Childerhouse on the last squad of 106 shows they were all there to be broken! I certainly enjoyed the full weekend. The clays were top-class, meeting up with old friends, the banquet and the atmosphere was second to none. And well done to all the Mill Hill members, who saw the event went off without a hitch! Looking forward to Wales 2012!!!!

Absolutely true — although I wasn't there on the Saturday it was a superbly run event from MillHill – a real credit to them all, the weather made things very tough but because the shoot was so good I think that just about made up for it, I encountered one break down on Sunday which was only a flat battery so I'd say after almost at the end of 3 days shootin that was a hell of an achievement for MillHill,  Speak to anyone who was there and I don't think you'll hear a single bad comment about the whole weekend. The 120 birder on Sunday was brilliant I thought, although I only shot 75 I really enjoyed my day apart from 5 stands that my head was just not switched on /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif We shot with my mate Ed Solomons and Sara Chambers who both shot brilliantly, it was amazing how easy Ed makes shooting clays look my squad mates were all very impressed by Ed even though some of us have saw him shoot before. But again the Big winner was MillHill. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have to say one of the most if not the most enjoyable shooting weekend I have ever had in th uk. 3 shoots of terrific targets, back towards what good sporting used to be like. There were some monster birds out there I'd say some were genuine 70-75 yards, which is not the same as the "clubhouse" 75 yards I hear week in week out. All were very breakable, showing a bit of face, and were usually teamed with a steadier bird to even it up. The gale force winds took a couple off everyone but nothing too bad as lots of the birds were under power, with just a few teal/loopers stalling and getting dragged out.Prelim was a super round, martins score in the wind was about right I thought- I managed a pretty lazy 83 but we spent an hour driving round trying to find the place and only just got on for last entries after asking very nicely :) a lot of daft misses ealy on and a brain far at the end probably costing me A good score.The main event was equally as good, two layouts of 50, the one behind the clubhouse being 2/3 tougher than the one down the valley in my view, but both fantastic. I had them down as a 45 on the easier one and a 42 on the tougher but all of us seemed to be away with the fairies after doing the hard work we let some softer stuff slip. Chris broomfield took hg on 83 as mentioned earlier.The 120 on Sunday was another super round, sadly it took the first 50 odd shots for the beer to wear off so my start was far from pretty but I woke up a bit toward the end. A great squad and great fun with nige Ian and the guys. Well done mill hill I cant wait to come back.The Irish put so Muc more into thus shoot than the CPSA; an example being setting up a separate 30 bird shootoff for ties (they even organised one of my tower birds to get blown into my pattern at the right time :)) and paid for a SOLID SILVER medal for HG to the tune of 200 quid. Pay attention CPSA medal procurement- the ones you buy now that cost £3 are a total embarrassment- get it sorted. If the irish can do it with their small membership then I think we can manage it.Can't explain how muc fun was had, even at £5 a pint ;-) fortunately I only had 1.....

Sounds like you had a great time Ed and the pictures on yours and Nige's Facebook page are brilliant. Yes the Silver medals are great. Ireland does the job properly. The cpsa august minutes mention the issue of the ictsc silver for the medals but is not reported correctly because they do not make clear that the amount quoted of £17K was in fact for a supply that would last them for 20 years and would be divided be the 5 Home nations.I remember when I used to shoot in the England FITASC team even when we won we did not get a medal. It was a silver plate that went back each year.'Real' medals are great when you can get them. Several international matches give 'real' medals or in the US 'real' solid silver dollars in belt buckles.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back