Fitting a Jones adjuster and Kick-EEZ

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonSkeet2

Has anyone fitted one of these themselves? I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of a Jones adjuster (new) and a mint nearly new 21mm Kick-EEZ from eBay. Just after any tips, i'm pretty handy generally and could work to .001" when I finished my apprenticeship by hand :D so I don't think it's going to be worth parting with my gun and £££ to have it fitted. I have had a look on Youtube but can't find any video's so might just make one whilst i'm doing it :D  Cheers, Jon.

Jon,It is not a big deal.Now is the time to cut the stock to the correct length to suit you. Put a good layer of electricians tape around the stock on  the cut line, remember to mark the stock correctly all around the stock to maintain the correct angle of pitch. ( Now may be the time to alter the pitch, if you know what you are doing). Cut the stock with a chop saw, high speed ,fine toothed. Fit Jones adjuster temporarily and grind to fit stock contours. Fit Kickeeze and grind to fit. a Belt sander or a linisher is a useful tool to have to ease the task.You can find a link on http://www.shotgunworld.com gunsmithing  that shows how to fit a pad.Good luck

Cheers :)  I don't need to cut the stock as I have 1" added to the LOP currently, fortunately the AL391 stocks are cut straight so the Jones + the 21mm Kick-EEZ should equal what I have now.  The main reason for the Jones to to remove a cant I have. I have access to a belt sander :) will probably get it close and then do the last bit by hand then remove and polish the edge of the Jones with wet & dry. Will have a look at the link on SGW :)  Thanks, Jon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well everything has arrived ready to fit, now I have offered everything up it's looking much simpler than I first thought.The mounting holes on the back of the Jones align perfectly with the current holes in the stock, the combination of the Jones and Kick-EEZ is still about 12" short of what I have but by removing one of the current spacers I have fitted and just using one of them plus the Jones and pad will increase the LOP by about 2mm which isn't going to cause a problem :D   and I can fit the spacer to the Jones to give me a perfect mark to grind and file to :)   If i had access to a milling machine i'd mill the spacer down but doubt it will make a difference ;)  There doesn't appear to be a huge amount to be ground off the front or rear pad which is slightly bigger than the Kick-EEZ, only about a 116" on the sides and about 14" top and bottom.  So will just take the bulk off the top and bottom with a belt sander then do the sides and final finishing down to size by hand then smoothpolish with wet & dry then a final polish with T Cut. I just need to get some 2" masking tape tomorrow to protect everything and mark my grinding lines :)  Jon.

Right, Well i'm half way there, much easier than i thought although the belt sander was on loan so i had to use my angle grinder fith a flap wheel to knock the excess off.  Once that was done i took the rest off by hand with a file until i was nearly at the line then switched to a warding file to remove the rougher file marks.The Kick-EEZ was then fitted to check the fit which was good so I then removed Jones again and then polished the edges with wet and dry paper, 400 dry, 400 wet, 1200 dry then 1200 wet to finish.The one tip I would offer is where you have to drill the Kick-EEZ to allow access to the adjustment screws on the Jones.  The instructions say to drill a hole of 8mm which would look horrible imo so I ignored it, i initially drilled the 2 holes with a 2mm HSS drill all the way through, then followed it with a 4.5mm right through the pad.  The Kick-EEZ was then flipped over and I then drilled through with an 8mm drill until I hit rubber.  The result is 2 tiny visible holes on the surface of the pad that the adjustment tool goes through nicely and connects perfectly with the screws :)I still have the butt part of the Jones to gring down but it's going on the gun today ready to try it tomorrow :)I got a few pictures but the battery went flat on my phone part way through and will put a pic of the before and after when I get them off the camera.Cheers,Jon.

Nice one Jon. look forward to seeing your pictures of it /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif Rob

Looks a good job done Jon, did you get a chance to try it out over the weekend? Rob

Latest posts

Back