Budget Cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldblaster

I'm currently looking for a reasonably priced cartridge, tried Hull Superfast Fibre today, and pleasantly surprised, reasonable recoil, fast with good kills no (chips), and clean with minimal leading. They have gone to the top of my list now, to replace Eley Blues no longer made.

Hull super fast are great, and indistinguishable from the top end stuff! Stick with them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Hull Superfasts have become incredibly popular over the past 12 months. I started to use them in about February last year and saw few about. Now the bins are full of orange boxes! :)

Horrible nasty things but thats just my opinion and as James said would recommend maybe Clever Mirage as an alternative unless of course you have a vested interest in Hull brands but if you are on a budget or shoot more then 1000 a month then fair play! have done the cheap stuff but you have to choose wisely.

:fie:  Even the cheapest nastiest uglyest shell on the market will out perform shooters like ED? (NO insult to you ED)

I'll bet out of Eds last 1000 targets the few misses he had were not caused by dud shells?

My local gunshop had run out of my usual Hull Comp X 28g this weekend, so they recommended the Hull Superfast 27g as a replacement.

They let me have a slab at the same price as the Hull Comp X (Thats why I support my local gunshop!)

I tried them yesterday, and whereas I found the Superfasts to be a little 'punchier', they did produce very good kills.

One particular stand that is on most weeks is a driven midi/mini pair. I usually shoot that stand well, but this week every single bird was powdered.

I know its only a small test sample but first impressions are very good and I will be using them again.

I'm happy do to a bit of blind testing with people, £250 if you can tell which shell is which from results alone!

If your right the money is yours, if I'm right you pay me. Takers?

I'm happy do to a bit of blind testing with people, £250 if you can tell which shell is which from results alone!

If your right the money is yours, if I'm right you pay me. Takers?
Trouble is Ed, they can sound and feel different on the shoulder, so could be indentified by that. How do you do results alone test?

I'm not one for buying expensive cartridges and have always bought the cheapest to supply my strawbaler.  The last couple of times this has been Noble Italia.  I'm not going to use them anymore.  I'm going to buy some Hull superfast or something.

Not because I am good enough to know the difference in performance of the cartridges or see a marked improvement in my scores.  I'm just fed up with the barrels of my brand new gun looking like chewbacca's bikini wax has been hoovered up it after every shot. They are beyond filthy! 

Ah. OK, I thought that wouldn't work as I assumed it would be on number of hits. But quality of kill.. Yes that's tricky. A Gamebore Velocity 7.5 plas makes great dust. Better than expensive 8's usually.. for example..

It is interesting reading about the different opinions of cartridges shot by the folks on here. I find that it is difficult to buy different makes of cartridge where I live because of the lack of gunshops nearby. The cartridges that I have tried though all have the same effect when I hit the target though... a ball of dust! Strangely enough my near misses are exactly the same with all cartridges too ... target sails on silently into the distance! I have settled on my cartridge of choice for two reasons A) they have a low recoil and thus are less tiring to use, B) I can buy them over the internet and have them delivered for free 48hr, why spend three hours of your day and 10€ on fuel buying cartridges ! They are not the cheapest by any means but are best all-round for the above reasons. What I will say though is that no cartridge I have used to date has broken a target any different to another I do notice differences in recoil though.

I have used gamebore velocity fibre 7.5 28 gm, cause they cheap and efficient .£170. a 1000. at Haywards. now with free advertising on the case !

Something I did not add is that the cartridges I buy seem to be quite a bit cheaper than in the UK but I expect that shooters in the UK should be soon benefiting from the strong pound for example May last year the pound was buying 1.2€ just now it an buy 1.34€ these are Italian carts so there is no reason why they should cost more in the UK than in France... in short I think the importers have been ripping off Clever users!

I can shoot a mixed bag and you lot can tell me what kills are what!
Hmmm, that just proves we can't tell what shells you're using ! Splendid skill coupled to tight 3/4 chokes is going to dust almost anything at any distance. 

I have always taken mental notes of what shells feel and perform like, for years I have been looking for a cheaper replacement for Eley Superb 8's (and the odd 7.5's) and despite giving them all a fair trial of a thou at a time, the difference is perceptible to me. Now I don't believe they cost me targets because they're not up to breaking edge on 55 yard birds, but I certainly am not up to carrying the burden of knowing they aren't as good.

I've now shot nearly a thousand Evo 24g 8's using them either entirely or in 50% mix on most stands, do they pulverise easyish stuff at close to mid range, actually NO they don't, they crush them, do they break hard teal and looping 40 - 55 yard standard clays, YES, just but they don't crush them. Can I detect a difference in speed, absolutely. Can a robot shoot 100 straight at ESP with them, YES, can I, no way. 

Reason is that the job of a shell is not to affect a break on a single target, five or ten times in a row, its more subtle purpose is to push me on and keep my mental state in the zone instead of in a state of doubt. I have enough to contend with as is, lazy breaks count but don't help.

There are plenty of good budget shells out there, all capable of 100 straight but to get the consistency of supply, breaks, speed, downrange performance and sensible recoil you need to pay just a tad more. I'm giving FBlacks a go this week, shot a slab a while back and they were awesome but price too close to Superbs to change, just hope the recoil is lowish but secretly know they won't be.

You absolutely can tell a difference between cartridges speed recoil quality of breaks even consistency but I believe it takes many years of experience to be able to. The most important thing imo is consistency. We have chronod many cartridges and the lack of consistency of speed from some is quite substantial.

Hammy

F black are soft especially the 24 and I have chronod them and they are as consistent as you could hope for at any price. Interested in your review when you have shot a K

You absolutely can tell a difference between cartridges speed recoil quality of breaks even consistency but I believe it takes many years of experience to be able to. The most important thing imo is consistency. We have chronod many cartridges and the lack of consistency of speed from some is quite substantial.

Hammy

F black are soft especially the 24 and I have chronod them and they are as consistent as you could hope for at any price. Interested in your review when you have shot a K
Unfortunately have decided against the 24g route particularly since they only do those in 7.5 but their 28g loads which I have shot were rather good.

28 are excellent hamid I shoot 24 at ot and 24 first barrel 28 second barrel abt and ut. There not as soft as the 24 (obviously) but I consider that there softer than superb (for instance) and would certainly say they are the best cartridge for sub £200 (for trap anyway) try the top one also. Do not be put off by the price tag they are far better than you would expect for the money, 3% antimony as opposed to black 5% but what's 2 anti thingies between friends.

Ps

24 break edge on or targets at fifty plus yds so should kill any sporting target.

Latest posts

Back