fast trap choke

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

I can't believe I am starting this but here goes.

Now that I am blessed with a multi I am interested on thoughts about the benefits if any of shooting more open choke such as half and three quarter or even 5/8

From yesterday's first outing with half three quarter my initial thoughts are 5/8 full could be ideal.

Discus.

Half and full would be the choice I would make if you shoot in any way similar to me. My gun is fixed half and full and my first barrel hits generally obliterate the target... mind you it is a Perazzi and as you know they are renowned for the patterns they throw :)   

edit

Just changed my mind what you need is a pair of Briley extended chokes of 35 thou and 40 thou ... just so happens that I know someone who has a totally unused pair that fit the description   :nyam:

Last edited by a moderator:
What bore are your barrels?

the more open the bore the tighter the choke, according to Renato lamera    so an 18.4 bore you could run 1/2 - 5/8 and full   for 18.7 I would run 3/4 - full and super full

Hi Ian, will be ordering 5/8 Teague for my Guerini, however they have asked for more details/dimensions or even a sample choke as apparently Guerini use a lot of different choke types. I think 5/8 is a good choice but dont take my advice you know how I shoot!!. Al. 

Mutley

No idea will have a look after.

Allan

I am drawn to 5/8 as my old Parker hale measured that even though it was stamped 3/4.

Seems a happy compromise to me. Might even go 7/8 in top barrel. Mr teague has both available on Web site.

Did I ever say multis are great :)

Ha

K no way. Only reason I have a multi in the ips stable is that I had no choice I would have prefered it to be fixed but Mr Beretta in his momentary lapse of all that is proper decided multi was a beneficial thing for a trap gun. Of course it isn't but we all make errors of judgement.

You've got a multi choke so experiment with chokes and maybe cartridges. :spiteful:

Plenty of Perazzi shooters use a # 4 in the bottom barrel which equates to around 16 thou of choke.  I've shot my Perazzi with fixed 3/8 in both barrels and I don't think it's hindered me, but then again I do use Fiocchi FBlack 24gm.

I think my current Miroku which is 30 thou in each barrel is too tight, with the cartridges above.  I've also got another Miroku which is Briley retro choked and I've been playing around with open chokes and have settled for the time being on 1/2 and 3/4 although I've been quietly impressed with 1/2 and 1/2.

Ignore the armchair experts and get out there and trial it.

Phil

Yes your right but I don't want to spend the next month faffing about experimenting. As you know I too shoot black 24 you and I know how tight they pattern and prob too tight through fixed 3/4 full. As you have had same gun what do you reckon for our cartridge and our discipline. It felt a bit chippy yesterday with half but I am not settled with it yet so could have been me.

When I had a 682X it was nearly 30 years ago and 32gms to start with.

I'd be inclined to go 1/2 and 3/4 because those are the chokes you've probably got with the gun.  You've only got to break the clay, you don't get any extra points for sooting it. However, you don't get any points at all for a miss..........

I think you need to get used to shooting the gun first, it'll handle differently to your DT10 and the POI may well be different too. When you're confident of how the gun shoots and your ability with it, then would be the time to tinker with chokes.  You'll only truly know when you're at one with the gun.

I did see Morrisons had an offer on the Mullers, the corners in black cherry are nice, as too are the strawberry BUT if you really want to go overboard then get the 'greek style'  creamy variety. If you take my advice, avoid the rice versions, I have never really got the hang of cold rice pudding. Another plus is that you can then let your little cocker lick the empty containers. Hope this helps.      :spiteful:

Phil

Yes your prob right.

Westley

Yes that is most helpful :)

I did see Morrisons had an offer on the Mullers, the corners in black cherry are nice, as too are the strawberry BUT if you really want to go overboard then get the 'greek style'  creamy variety. If you take my advice, avoid the rice versions, I have never really got the hang of cold rice pudding. Another plus is that you can then let your little cocker lick the empty containers. Hope this helps.      :spiteful:
If you had a cherry stuck in your throat - would that not be classed as 'half choke'  :laugh:

I know.

I am ashamed. I shall give myself a severe beating of that you can be certain.

In my defence I was just curious.

I found Mod & Imp Mod good in the Blaser, they're Brierleys so 5/8 & 7/8 would be fine - can't beat a bit of time on tmhe pattern plate ;)

What bore are your barrels?

the more open the bore the tighter the choke, according to Renato lamera    so an 18.4 bore you could run 1/2 - 5/8 and full   for 18.7 I would run 3/4 - full and super full
Had a look there 18.4

I can't believe I am starting this but here goes.

Now that I am blessed with a multi I am interested on thoughts about the benefits if any of shooting more open choke such as half and three quarter or even 5/8

From yesterday's first outing with half three quarter my initial thoughts are 5/8 full could be ideal.

Discus.
Ho Dear Chokes again i'll get my hat. :suicide:

Back