Rifle to shotgun mental mixup........?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkside

Shot my first 100 registered yesterday and made a compleat balls of it!!! I know (mostly I think) where I went wrong, stopping my swing as I pulled the trigger :oops: I've been shooting with rifles alot the past few months and the shotgun has never been out of the cabinet scince beaters day. That's not unusual for me, but I've never had this stop swinging to aim type of thing going on in my head before!?!? The first stand I shot was an easy l to r setteler that hung in the wind before dropping followed by a tricky fast r to l overhead going away crosser 3-10......nothing for the first 2 pair, shot the next 3 droppers (after I mentaly slapped myself for taking aim and stopping) but couldn't mentaly slap myself out of taking aim at the second bird!*$%@!!! This pattern continued for the next 3 stands with a 3-10 3-10 and 4-10, then I get a realy fast going away crosser and a looping, from the right, high dropper that the wind was doing strange things to, got my swing going on the crosser and shot the 5 of them and missed the dropper by swinging way through it every time. BOOM, my swing was back!!! 7,8,7, on much tricker stands than all my 3's. 5 and 4 to finnish, the 5 was simo driven phesants off a tower in front, 1 standard 1, midi, crossing, shot the first one, hit the (very low) bar on the cage and diden't even fire the second barrel, only managed one of each pair. The last stand was a easy l to r fast going away (missed 1 behind :angry: ) and a horrible midi teal fired simo, from some rough ground to the left, up and out like a rocket and dropped like a stone, most people could make nothing of it!!!

The reason I've posted this on the psyhology thread is I felt my head was just not in it yesterday, first i drove 25 miles to a ground who shut every year for Feb/March but were advertised to open on Sundat 1st April......gates were locked, shut. :angry:Turned round to drive the 35 miles (back past my house) to the next ground, motorway slip road shut :angry: then almost get wiped out by a lorrie changing lanes to avoid an accident and almost sh*t myself :eek: :angry: By the time I got to the ground I was pretty pissed off, didn't quite feel myself. I was very tempted to shoot a round of skeet to calm myself down and get my swing going, but didn't........what I wonder is, would it have helped? Should I have just had something to eat and not went rushing out onto the sporting? Was it just i've been shooting so much with the rifle that my brain just wants to aim at rather than swing through? Yesterday was like a mad rush, got up, milked the cows, fed the cows, got my nephew started spreading dung, rushed away to one ground to practice, shut, rushed over to another, rushed round the stands, three stands had mamoth ques waiting for traps to be sorted, rushed back home to milk the cows again, put out dund after dinner until after 9pm for the 4th night in a row, can't stop thinking over how I missed so many clays and where I went wrong on each stand..... What's your thoughts? There's a 100 FITASC on the same ground next week, should I batter on or go practice and straiten my head out?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
For me preparation is everything, even down to what order I put my gear in the car. Cart bag first then clothes then gun. I like to have a sit before the shoot as well. But I'm just a bit anal like that, when I was playing cricket it had to be left pad on first :)

Never helps when you are stressed before you start it will only get worse as you try and force something to happen. In the words of meatloaf "some days it don't come at all and these are the days that never end" just have to try and relax and let it all come good :)

Sounds like you had the worst possible preparation. For sure, a calmer day has to be better. Rule 1, forget yesterday as everything was against it- including a long break from shooting (a shotgun). Using a rifle cannot be good for your clay shooting. Andy Murray won't warm up for Wimbledon by playing squash!

Relax, enjoy and dont over think it.

CSC3

. I was very tempted to shoot a round of skeet to calm myself down and get my swing going, but didn't........what I wonder is, would it have helped?
Well - if it works for George Digweed, it might work for you... when I interviewed George for ShootClay last season, he told us exactly that:

The only exception is if I have been focused on rifle shooting, I might go to a local club and shoot 75 skeet to get my timing back after the discipline of breathing and stillness with the rifle. Clay Shooting is about pulling the trigger while moving, so the two disciplines are very different for me.
Sounds to me like you had crap preparation yesterday - these things happen. I'd write it off to experience, and get back in the saddle as soon as you can. Maybe that round of skeet will help get your swing going again before you get on the ESP/FSP.

Certainly preparation was a major factor at this point, However sometimes it can have the reverse effect, where you don`t care too much at all and you shoot well. But as you were focused on shooting well, the preparation played up to turning it into a nightmare. Some people have routines, others have superstitions - but it is whatever you are comfortable with.

Skeet is a great training aid, let alone warm up. Many coaches (cue - coaches to comment!!) will use skeet for training and lessons, plus some top shots for a warm up. But whatever your normal routine is, then that is where your basis is - I talk with alot of people about a common sense approach to shooting, don`t reinvent the wheel when it rolls along well enough on its own, but be aware of the routine and follow it, plus make adjustments along the way and have some fail safes in place should you need it.

Ok, had a think about it and booked on for 100 FITASC on Sunday, if I can get some time off work on Saturday I'll go shoot some practice clays and work on getting my swing going again. Never shot FITASC before so read through the rules then watched Mickey Rouse's YouTube "training" video, worth watching. Realy looking forward to Sunday now!!!

Latest posts

Back