Cartridge Speed

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldblaster

I was standing behind a shooter today, and was amazed how the clay seemed to break instantly, compared to previous shooters using different ammo. He was using Fiocchi Black Sporting, it was the instant the report the clay broke! Has anyone else noticed this, or was I just imagine it!

I deeply suspect it was an illusion, caused by a heavy and instant break of the clay. FBlacks have a dense centre of pattern , so if you connect that, the kill is dust. Fewer pellets hitting just as quickly will not get rid of the clay as fast.

+1 What Will says although they do perform very well compared to the budget shells as far as speed is concerned

I was using a combination of Fblacks and Pro ones  at Greenfields canterbury today, Fblacks really do demolish clays although the Pro ones are smoother and without doubt the best shell i have ever used. :spiteful:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is nobody going to state the obvious?   :fie:

The faster the cartridge is, the faster the shot arrives at the target.

If you don't believe you can tell (feel and see) the difference, treat yourself to a box of something like Black Gold/World Cup/RC4 etc. and try it for yourself.

I agree it makes little or no difference to lead requirements over sporting distances, but there is a certain "SNAP" that you get with a quality cartridge that is missing from the average brands which are rightly popular for their "thrifty" characteristics.

Personally I want to perform at my best, so I use the best consumables. I'm a rubbish shot really, but I keep putting in half reasonable scores. Work that out for yourself???  :sarcastic:

If you don't believe you can tell (feel and see) the difference, treat yourself to a box of something like Black Gold/World Cup/RC4 etc. and try it for yourself.

I agree it makes little or no difference to lead requirements over sporting distances, but there is a certain "SNAP" that you get with a quality cartridge that is missing from the average brands which are rightly popular for their "thrifty" characteristics.

Personally I want to perform at my best, so I use the best consumables. I'm a rubbish shot really, but I keep putting in half reasonable scores. Work that out for yourself???  :sarcastic:
Yes I agree there was a certain "snap" to the way those cartridges performed, I don't think a tighter pattern would make much difference. I believe your brain can perceive the difference in speed, I'm definitely going to try some top rated ammo next!

Yes mate......I miss much faster and with greater effect with RC4's............. :laugh:

The right shell for the job. Big heavy long brass heads with big pellets for long stuff. Short head small pellets for the close stuff. Mid size head medium size pellets for the medium stuff.

Smooth, fast and nice clean barrels afterwards.

Buy the best quality you can afford, you only get what you pay for.

Four pockets on shooting jacket so that they don't mixed up.

I like your thinking, but a bit too complicated for me, plus i've only got two cartridge pockets in my winter shooting jacket! 

:fie:  TopDawg, you are a little like the "Yanks" they believe is they buy the dearest gun (usually a High end K gun) and the dearest ammo, loudest shooting vest, 30 pairs of Pilla glasses, hand made hearing protectionetc they are destined to become a top shooter? :hunter:   sadly it ain't so! :crazy:  

Last edited by a moderator:
"All the gear no idea!" I think is what you are saying, most people know they are not destined to become top shooters, but when you get to a certain level choice of gun and cartridges can make a difference, plus why deny yourself the pleasure of buying loads of neat kit!

:fie:  TopDawg, you are a little like the "Yanks" they believe is they buy the dearest gun (usually a High end K gun) and the dearest ammo, loudest shooting vest, 30 pairs of Pilla glasses, hand made hearing protectionetc they are destined to become a top shooter? :hunter:   sadly it ain't so! :crazy:  
Edd S is.

Nice one Cyril! (I always wanted to say that!)  :biggrin:

You clearly didn't clock my tattered and battered equipment when we last met?

I do allow myself the occasional little luxury though, and I have a weakness for a quality cartridge. After all, it's the thing that does the job. How it is delivered to the target is a question of style and depth of pocket. I cannot describe myself as a "Snappy dresser", more your drab, melt into the background, type of guy. I expect I'd buy a nice MX12 like yours if I was rich enough................. :sarcastic:

:fie:  If you did'nt waste money on fancy cartridges you would own one by now! :crazy:  

And in all seriousness the vast majority off all the shell stuff is marketing and between the ears of the shooter.

Most of the time, the only real difference between a £160/tho shell and a £240/tho shell, is about £80...

Back