Winners of the Valley View Shoot- 25 March

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Francis and Johns Plantation London Road Great Mis
Hello all,

We had a great turn out yesterday, making the best of the British weather!! Thank you all for coming.

So, well done to you Riccardo. Only 9 dropped with a top score of 91. Reverting back to your old gun did you good. Second Place Mr Graham Harris with 89 and Jeff D in third with 85. Well done chaps!! Ladies High Gun yesterday was V Kelly with 76. Well ahead of the rest! Thank you for coming and I look forward to seeing you at the next shoot with your Prizes.

Next shoot is 8th April. If we have weather like this weekend gone i shall be getting the bbq out and the marquee up. Hope to see you then

Adam

Hi Adam,

Glad to hear it went well. As I have often said in the past, it is a superb bit of ground.

Can I ask if you are ever going to consider holding CPSA registered shoots at all? (I gather Ian Payne felt out with CPSA years ago). Weston Wood is only 25 minutes from you and gets a huge entry. On weekends that dont clash, you could do really well; 150+ entries. I know it would involve getting some scorers and adjusting the course a little bit, but nothing too hard I would think.

Is this just not what you feel is for Valley View? It doesnt have to be every shoot. Just a few in the first year to see how it goes perhaps?

Best regards,

CSC3

Last edited by a moderator:
A great idea, and a ground more than capable of putting on a good registered shoot

Good morning gents

I definitely will run a registered shoot. I was in discussions with CPSA last year and have thier support. There were a few reasons why I haven't done it yet. I was keen to get the club up and running to a high standard, get the club recognised and running smoothly with the teething problems behind us. Another factor was that my shoot dates for the year had already been submitted to DOE and my allowance was nearly full up for the year. I have saved a few days for some charity events i am organising for the end of August and September.

I intend to have Valley View on the CPSA map next year. Plenty of time to learn, organise and advertise in a more established club.

We have a shoot on this Sunday. If the weather holds out the bbq will be out. Hope you can make it!

Adam

Any other requests? The complete website for Valley View is due to go online any day now. I will now be starting a members area where there will be a program where your results will be tracked so you can visualise your performance over the year. I will then have competitions and prizes surrounding it ie best performer over a set period/year etc. There will be other perks. Interested to hear your suggestions

I often wonedered why ground owners do not do a pool shoot of some sorts! I wouldn't mind betting 75% of their entry have a go even if it is for a warm up!

Makes sense to me to do it can be a very good return!

Glen.

Hi Adam,

I think that you dont need to rack your brain too hard to come up with the right recipe to make Valley View a great success. It is all about getting the basics right, certainly at first. If you get the following list ticked off, I would be amazed if you did not flourish; given the great bit of land you have there:

Put on a monthly registered shoot. This needs:

• Good scorers (ideally experienced, but new people with some proper training is fine). Give them a chair each and a master score card.
  • Put on the right standard of targets. What you have now is not bad, but it needs to get a touch tougher (but not by making them hard to see or taking away time to shoot them).
  • Ensure you have enough catering capacity, with decent quality simple food. (Its good now, but capacity may be an issue).
  • Improve your toilets, for men and women. Hired portaloos are OK.
  • Dont clash dates with popular local shoots. DO NOT clash with Weston Wood.
  • Price it to market. £30 birds only and £35 competition would be good. £125 HG? Cash prizes for classes according to entries.

Anything else such as supplying gun racks and reporting scores quickly is a bonus. The above is enough to launch you into huge entries, although you may want to advertise a bit in the mags at first.

You can of course run your normal `open` shoots on other weekends as you do now.

Cheers,

CSC3

We are looking at ways to incorporate a pool shoot. There was one there once upon a time but as the years have gone on and noise complaints etc were made, areas and directions of shooting were capped. Next issue is then space and proximity to the clubhouse. We are working on it and hope to find a solution now we have more areas opened due to the recent felling.

We had Portaloo's on order for purchase but struggled to find a decent one going at a reasonable price. As we only need them for two days a month, renting them was not a cost effective solution. As a temporary resolve, I built a quality outside toilet annexed to the barn by stand 1, particlarly for the ladies. Most guys still favour the tree. Anyway, soon we will have Portaloos in place.

Spoken to the CPSA adn we will do the Registered shoots with official scorers. This is still a next year venture.

Food is already of a high standard fresh and free range and will increase facilities when necessary to accomodate the growing crowds.

Regarding the dates, i will indeed make sure we dont clash the main other shoots. I didnt set this years dates, was done by Ian before his demise.

Appreciate the comments guys. All will add to a greater enjoyment of Valley View by all

Adam

Back