To Teague or not to Teague?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom b

Hi I have a perazzi mx2000s the gun is fixed choke at 3/4 and full. Would having the gun teagued detract from the value of the gun and hurt the resale? Not that I'm looking to sell it I just don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Thanks tom

Personally from a trap perspective I consider trap guns multi choked either factory or retro to be Ruined and I know many other trap shooters feel the same. I would never ever buy a retro choked trap gun.

only my opinion of course.

Without me making any assumptions.

What do you use the gun for?

How long do you intend to keep it?

Why are you considering making it multichoked?

:fie:  If you multichoke a perazzi :fie:  be prepared to loose 1/3rd of its second hand value if you sell it to a dealer or trade it in through the trade! If you multichoke it sell it to a guillible "Yank"

I have NO problems with Nigel his work is the finest there is!  would you multichoke a Purdey? :crazy:

I only shoot sporting, and the gun that will only leave me if it has to be sold for financial reasons. The reason I'm thinking about it is I feel that I am handicapping myself by shooting with such a tightly choked gun.

Different cartridges for different targets like they used to do before multi was invented and we're only talking twenty odd years ago. Seem to remember the likes of aj Smith managing ok with fixed choke. Or what about opening it up to half and full, I don't have as big an issue with that.

bear in mind though that I am a traditionalist.

As I said I'm just gauging whether or not it would hurt the value. After hearing the replies I will leave it as is and kick my self up the arse and improve my shooting :)

According to perazzi's barrel maker, having a perazzi modified from fixed to multi choke affects the balance of those barrels and they do not recommend it, personally I would take the gun to a good barrel man and get him to open the choking

You found one then tom? We have sold 2 2000s one teagued one fixed earlier this year with very little difference in price.

Just thought you would want to know.

Cheers

Chris

According to perazzi's barrel maker, having a perazzi modified from fixed to multi choke affects the balance of those barrels and they do not recommend it, personally I would take the gun to a good barrel man and get him to open the choking
+1 as Matt Says best compromise without a doubt full choke is to tight for sporting in my opinion especially with a lot of close stuff that seems more common these days. Am looking to aquire an Mx2000 very soon for sporting but a full choke top barrel would put me off buying said gun..

Why have it MC? For a lot less you can it Teague regulated to throw a desired pattern with a desired shell and it can still be MC later if required!

Re- choke to 3/8 bottom and 1/2 top. Lengthen forcing cones.

Will kill anything.

Job done.

Stops all the thinking about choke tubes.

If you are only going to shoot clays with it then have Nigel open the chokes a bit. He adjusted a 3800 Trap for me years ago -  12 and 16 and it would kill anything on a sporting layout.

If your gun does double duty on clays and game (like mine) then have him multi choke it.

If I was looking for another gun, I would favour one with his multi chokes.

Can`t see how flush Teagues can alter balance as it`s just replacing solid metal with removeable metal.

If yousee a long future with the gun I`d have it done,then you can swap away and have mind games with yourself !

I do .........

Last edited by a moderator:
True if you mess with a Perazzi the value goes down.....but if you are keeping it then have it how you want it. I had one of my MX8's teagued in the bottom barrel for a specific discipline abroad.....and Teague would be the only one that i would allow to mess with it.  It did just the job. 

Last edited:
Can`t see how flush Teagues can alter balance as it`s just replacing solid metal with removeable metal.

If yousee a long future with the gun I`d have it done,then you can swap away and have mind games with yourself !

I do .........
but less metal particularly if going from full to 1/4

I would be tempted to have the chokes opened rather than multi. My son's old MK60 with fixed chokes would give a better pattern than my Browning 725 Black and that had  modern design extended multi chokes. 1/4 and 1/2 for sporting seems a good choice.

Latest posts

Back