Should I have a go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

Hi

Been invited to shoot FITASC, not shot it before only sporting, skeet and DTL.  I hear id is tricky and has different rules.  Should I with less than a year's experience have a go or do you need to be more experienced and a competent shot?

Sporting on a good day I can hit about 60% and DTL 21 or 22 typically [shot a couple of 24's but that illusive 25 is still the goal!]

Thanks for any advice

Give it a go, nothing too traumatic to worry about!  Just remember not to pre-mount, not even out of the hoop for practice!  Good social day out.  Your squad will look after you.  Gawaan, gawaan, gawaan... :nyam:

+1 with lord teepee the refs will also tend to give you pointers if they know your a FITASC virgin  :yes:   :thumbsup:

In my opinion - the most fun you can have with a shot gun.... as others have said, your squad will look after you - great social day out at the very least, and you get to see some different/fun targets.

Matt is correct in saying the squad will help you like shouting LEFFFFFT LEFFFFFT when your looking right and visa versa!! not that i would possibly know anyone who would do such a thing almost non stop :spiteful:

Fitasc is the formula one in clay shooting. There are a few new rules the refs will show the targets to the first gun in the ring who will start the shoot. the refs are not aloud to tell you what the target is? It mite be a medi or a standard or a battue? But he will show all the targets once, so you will have to remember where and what there are,but you can ask if you are not sure. There is a menu board in front of you, with letters or number on. Everyone shoots the singles first, then the second gun start and shoots the doubles. I hope this has help you. Good luck you will enjoy it.

Regards,

Hotshot Rasher.  

look on the bright side,, if you miss a presentation in FITASC,, you only miss once,,in esp it's five times if you cannot 'sort it'  :sarcastic:  

go shoot, it's almost no different to esp,,,Fitasc has been 'softened' in the last 10 years,,, this is assuming the 'old style'  field of 6machines and 3 stands. per 25 targets.  takes a while, but you do learn, and meet, other shooters that probably end up as friends.

Just do it....you may love it...it is the thinking man's sporting.. :wink:

look on the bright side,, if you miss a presentation in FITASC,, you only miss once,,in esp it's five times if you cannot 'sort it'  :sarcastic:

go shoot, it's almost no different to esp,,,Fitasc has been 'softened' in the last 10 years,,, this is assuming the 'old style'  field of 6machines and 3 stands. per 25 targets.  takes a while, but you do learn, and meet, other shooters that probably end up as friends.
FITASC has been 'softened' !!...... where do you shoot it ??

well, if you shoot FITASC according to the rules, it doesn't' really matter where, however, i am aware that some course setters don't worry about rules(read guidlines!) may well be why it is not as popular as ESP, although i know the main reason is time =money. i have no arguement with that,, but by the same token if you set 45 to 80 yard 'birds', that is way out of range of most cartridges,, and shooters.

so for everyone to study;;;;;;

http://www.fitasc.com/upload/files/Rglts_PCH_01012015_ENG.pdf

I was new to it this year, find it quite hard but it gives you a chance to work at target reading and also I personally think it has helped my sporting. It's a good laugh and very sociable with the right squad, made some good friends shooting it....Well you are stuck with them ALL day so no choice really

Last edited by a moderator:
I did my first FITASC registered comp with only 2 months shooting experience behind me. I've done about 6 more over the 8 months since then.

I read the rules up first, pitched up and told I was new at all of it and they stuck me on a squad.

Targets are sporting types but do tend to be a bit more challenging. If you enter a selection level shoot they can be 'in the next county' but some of the regular fitascs are just like sporting. One of the big differences is not having a cage, just a hoop on the ground and between barrels you will frequently have to change foot position completely. It's a feature of the format. When you are waiting to shoot make sure you are standing in a safe spot.

Every layout will see you first at something, either the singles or the doubles. As has been said you only get one or two chances to miss a particular target but of course that pans out both ways!

A regular 100 bird comp takes most of the day to get round! A lot slower than DTL or Skeet!

My only comment is beware the bug doesn't bite too hard! It's a great format.

A lot slower than DTL or Skeet!

My only comment is beware the bug doesn't bite too hard! It's a great format.
How on gods green earth can anything be slower than DTL or Skeet, DTL is shot from concrete pads as this stops the grass growing round your feet, and Skeets is like waiting die then shuffling 5 yards to start waiting again! I think the winner is the ones who's beard touches the ground first but i've never waited long enough to find out.

Or the one that is still awake atb

Back