More Perazzi problems...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Downer

Evening all. Shot the South east inter counties DTL today. Now this is not my usual discipline as I am mainly a sporting shooter but was fortunate to come away with Class win. What is still bugging me is that twice over the 4 rounds my MX8 didn't exactly miss fire but had no tension on the trigger when I went to fire the first (bottom barrel).When opened the, the live cartridge ejected as if the gun had fired or tried to fire. On the previous shot the gun had been fully opened ejecting the spent shell so it wasn't a case of me not opening the gun enough, not allowing everything to reset. The first clay I was allowed bird again but the second time I lost the target which stopped me achieving an even better score. Any ideas chaps?

Mark

Check your leaf springs.....they could have a crack starting.

Wts, I will give it another clean after work, I hope you're right, however it gets broken down and cleaned either at the ground or as soon as I get home after every shoot. Tinker bell, not another one! Last spring was 2 months when it went, this one is 3 weeks old....I did drop the trigger mech out yesterday and everything looked ok. I'll have a closer look later on.

A chap with a Perazzi at the weekend had several instances of light strikes on the primer and the cartridges failed to fire.  When he removed the trigger set the leaf spring was still in situ but was cracked thus not powering the hammer enough to fire the cartridge. 

Crap cartridges ... next!

edit

If you are getting through a pair of springs every month something is very seriously wrong... not buying the chocolate ones are you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The trigger was slack. Didn't click, not even lightly. To only happen twice in a 100 bird shooting don't think it is springs but will check. I feel that something isn't engaging when I break the gun to cock the springs ready for the next shot.

A chap with a Perazzi at the weekend had several instances of light strikes on the primer and the cartridges failed to fire.  When he removed the trigger set the leaf spring was still in situ but was cracked thus not powering the hammer enough to fire the cartridge.
That is exactly what happened to me at the Worlds in Bologna last week Phil.

The slight crack made the V close....hence 2nd barrel did not fire. I changer trigger group.

OP..........Replace with Perazzi NOT copies....!!

You will see immediately by feel ...when you take both leaves out. You should have to be able to crank hard if they are good. If the tool is an easy pull to get out.....then they are going.

I have been talking with a lot of pals from several different countries here in Bologna and Madrid taking opinions......and all of them that I spoke to said exactly the same thing....before any international they check their springs by feel. If the tension has dropped.....they change them ......simples.

Otherwise it can cost you targets. It cost me 2 on the 2nd ring if the 1st round of the Worlds.

Bang click.....check cartridge......bang click......no mark on cartridge....hence you know it is spring. Trigger out....no crack....still in one piece but looking like a slightly flatter V shape.

New trigger group in (thanks to the Portuguese as I had left mine in gun case)......but then after 2 attempts it is classed as a gun malfunction.....so it is one in the ground one at the bird. I was distracted at what a great shot pattern it was skimming across the ground that I forget the bird which was box one going sharp left.........slashed for it.......Honk.....zero. Then lost another because I was pissed off at looking at the shot pattern :laugh: lesson learnt.

New springs in for Worlds and Europeans from now on....!

Hope that story helps. :wink:

The trigger was slack. Didn't click, not even lightly. To only happen twice in a 100 bird shooting don't think it is springs but will check. I feel that something isn't engaging when I break the gun to cock the springs ready for the next shot.
I've re-read your original post.  If you're a trigger fiddler whilst waiting to shoot it is entirely possible, especially if your trigger is set at a light poundage, to unknowingly 'fire' it.  Then when you close and mount the gun and call for the target nothing happens.  When you open the gun the cartridge ejects without any marks to the primer.  This isn't a cartridge or gun malfunction it's pilot error.  

In international trap shooting where the targets are on fixed schemes, it was known for some shooters to do exactly as I've described in order to see the target they're going to shoot.  They'd be given a repeat target, which would be the one they'd just seen and chances are they'd hit it.  Regulations were introduced to stop this by making the incident a loss.  

The discipline I mainly shoot is UT and rules 8.02, 8.03 and 8.04 refer: http://www.fitasc.com/upload/files/Rglt_UT_01012014_ENG.pdf there'll be something similar in the DTL rules on the CPSA website.

That makes sense Phil. As stated above I normally shoot sporting. This was my first DTL competition in 16 years, so maybe I'm doing something unknowingly? I don't think I am but who knows.... I was interested to know if it has been heard of before as It drove me nuts after being deducted that target feeling like I hadn't done anything wrong.

When you open the gun, make sure to cam the barrels all the way open. If the gun is new/and tight, and chances are you are not getting the barrel open-down far enough to fully cock them before loading new rounds.

If that is not it, then remove the forearm and double check to make sure that the forearm tab is not loose (part that pushes against the cocking rod when the action is opened), and the reason that the cocking rod/hammers are not going all the way back for the hammers to be caught by the sears.
This happens mostly on used guns, the forearm cocking tab can be loose/worn, and will not get the cocking bar in the receiver far enough back to correctly cock the hammers back far enough to be caught by the sears.

To see what is going one, push forward on the safety so you can pull the trigger group out, then unlock and cam the barrels all the way open to see the cocking bar move back into the receiver (forearm metal piece pushes the cocking center rod back in the receiver). The cocking bar pushes the hammers past the cocked position so the sears can retain the hammer back, and if you don't fully open the gun, then the hammers are not cocked back far enough for the sears to catch.

That makes sense Phil. As stated above I normally shoot sporting. This was my first DTL competition in 16 years, so maybe I'm doing something unknowingly? I don't think I am but who knows.... I was interested to know if it has been heard of before as It drove me nuts after being deducted that target feeling like I hadn't done anything wrong.
In your profile it shows you use an MK38 too.  You could fiddle around with the trigger on that until the cows come home and with the amount of free play in the trigger action it'll never happen.  Perazzi triggers are very much different as I'm sure you've realised.  Best thing to do is try it at home. Stick a snap cap in the bottom barrel and set yourself up as if to shoot from the moment you go onto the peg and you might find that's all your probably is, the trigger being more sensitive than you expect. 

Similar thing happened to someone else I know. It turned out that he was putting pressure on the trigger as he closed the gun an therefore letting the hammer down at the same time as closing the gun.

As someone taught to shoot rifles and pistols before shotguns I was always taught never to put my finger near the trigger until I was ready to take the shot.

The way I have taken that over to shotguns is that my trigger finger is not inside the trigger guard until I call PUUUUUULLLLLLLLLL!

Trigger fiddling or having your finger on the trigger when you close the gun seems like asking for trouble to me but then I am a relative newbie to this!

I think your prob right Robert it has to be best practice that's for sure, however I have to admit to having always had my finger on the trigger at all times and I have never ever had a discharge (no jokes please this is serious stuff)

You are absolutely right Robert. Definitely a bad habit among a lot of shooters including myself I can imagine. Thank you ever so much for your input guys. I have enough 'ammo' to have a good look at it now and try a few things.

A chap with a Perazzi at the weekend had several instances of light strikes on the primer and the cartridges failed to fire. When he removed the trigger set the leaf spring was still in situ but was cracked thus not powering the hammer enough to fire the cartridge.
He also tried to show the offending item to me..However I couldn't see much after being temporarily blinded by a skeet vest :)

In international trap shooting where the targets are on fixed schemes, it was known for some shooters to do exactly as I've described in order to see the target they're going to shoot. They'd be given a repeat target, which would be the one they'd just seen and chances are they'd hit it. Regulations were introduced to stop this by making the incident a loss.

A person I know always used to carry a dud cartridge,stick it in,fire, nothing happens, gets the bird again.

Till I was scoring one day. He pulled his stunt. I asked to see the shell and kept it.

Latest posts

Back