British open sporting scores

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deershooter

Only 6% of AAA andAA class shooters have scored the minimum average for their class ,and between 10 and 12 % of A B C have shot the minimum average fot their class

This means that 94 % of AAA and AA class and 88% of A B C class shot below average

It seems to me that it's really just a big boys shoot with little regard for the club shooter who supplies most of the funding

Deershooter

Surely it should be the hardest domestic English Sporting shoot we have on the calendar? 

I would hope the scores end up a notch down from the World, and a little up on the English.

• Top of C-Class is 86 - which is 72% - 5% above the c-class cutoff for I46
  • Top of B-Class is 90 - which is 75% - 1% above the b-class cutoff for I46

I'd say it is shooting tough, but reachable for the B's and C's - which feels about right for a British Open Championship. 

You will always get a few high scores and these are never the ones to be judged to get the feel for a shoot difficulty. I always feel that this shoot and other majors should not be registered. That way, the course setter can do what is needed to sort the top placings out without anybody worrying that their average will be "unfairly" damaged. (Look at the Classic; nothing but praise). Then, as with a motor race or a running race, it's simply about how you do compared to everybody else and not about numbers of clays hit. (As a purely numerical value).

Unavoidably, the registered system means people will fixate on the number of clays hit. If a motor race takes place on a wet day, the lap times are very slow compared to a dry day but nobody cares as they are only looking at the finishing order at the end, not how long it took to complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to mention my old mate Geoff Farmer who shot a 94 there yesterday. He has only a thumb on his right hand, so has ingeniously rigged up an electro- mechanical system on his gun allowing him to push a button (away from him) instead of a trigger. It is electronic, so that it ignores the second button push that comes from recoil, for a split second. But basically he has overcome a seemingly impossible problem and the score yesterday was excellent.

Will has he entered the disabled standing category ? He should have done with that score !

Cannot wait to shoot it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will has he entered the disabled standing category ? He should have done with that score !

Cannot wait to shoot it

I think he would rather cut his other hand off than be listed as "disabled". (I'm doing a project outside of shooting with some very injured ex-servicemen and they much prefer the term "injured")

That's fair enough . I have multiple disabilities which i was born with so it's different I guess however I pull trigger with my thumb so some similarities to your man .

Good work pal

That's fair enough . I have multiple disabilities which i was born with so it's different I guess however I pull trigger with my thumb so some similarities to your man .

Good work pal

It could be worth talking to him if you have trigger issues? He initially converted the gun to have a push-away trigger, but double discharge was common. His system now is v clever.

Best of luck this weekend!

I do ok but will be getting stock made for me on next gun for max benefit . I will need some luck thanks

Only 6% of AAA andAA class shooters have scored the minimum average for their class ,and between 10 and 12 % of A B C have shot the minimum average fot their class

This means that 94 % of AAA and AA class and 88% of A B C class shot below average

It seems to me that it's really just a big boys shoot with little regard for the club shooter who supplies most of the funding

Deershooter
Only big boys win the Majors, it should never cater to C or B class shots and should be made difficult to really show who is shooting at the top of their game. If you want standard targets where B class is won on a 90+ I suggest you go to Horne shooting ground at Gatton Bottom. Statistically the shoot is right on the money...

Just wanted to mention my old mate Geoff Farmer who shot a 94 there yesterday. He has only a thumb on his right hand, so has ingeniously rigged up an electro- mechanical system on his gun allowing him to push a button (away from him) instead of a trigger. It is electronic, so that it ignores the second button push that comes from recoil, for a split second. But basically he has overcome a seemingly impossible problem and the score yesterday was excellent.
I once shot with Geoff at Coley's. He saw me in the car park and asked if I wanted to go around with him as he could tell I was a newbie. He was a really nice guy and gave me a few pointers without trying to coach me. Even sorted out my trigger as it was loose. He is a very clever guy, his gun is amazing and a good shot. Glad he did well yesterday.

Surely this should be for the big boys and also for the B and C classes to test their abilities on tougher than normal targets? Competitions like this need to be set apart from the normal Sunday reg shoot. Where is the fun of shooting 'easy' targets all the time?....

I agree majors need to be tougher than normal shoots, not convinced the bread and butter Open and Reg shoots are easy though, plenty seem to think they are but their (and mine) scores suggest not.

I agree majors need to be tougher than normal shoots, not convinced the bread and butter Open and Reg shoots are easy though, plenty seem to think they are but their (and mine) scores suggest not.
yep indeed Hammy, wasn't suggesting reg shoots are easy (my scores will show that) but big comps surely need to be tougher than the regular weekend reg shoots..... Mind you, easy for me to say as I'm not shooting it....

You have to keep in mind that regardless how hard shoots are the top 3% of shooters will still be top. Question is, does it matter if the shoot is won on 99% or 89%? For me its the latter, C & B class shooters are still learning the sport, pandering to the idea of big scores across the classes is not helping them one bit.

Ben H's 112 is still an impressive score and is nearly 94%, not sure what is leading A, B or C class at the moment but it will be comparative to the class cut offs.

Whilst I agree the majors should be on the tough side you still have to cater for the lower abilities and not completely demoralise them,  otherwise instead of having a shoot over a number of days with a full entry each day you will have it held over one day with 30 ‘top’ shooters.

If that happens then watch the entry fee rise and the prize fund drop, we are a minority participation sport and need to keep every ability happy if we are going to survive as a sport.

It is hard for a course setter to get the balance to suit everybody in sporting, if you shoot the other non sporting disciplines then a local shoot is no easier or harder target wise than a major or an Olympic shoot only the ability of the competitors change and I guess that is sportings beauty and problem.

I haven’t shot the sporting yet so cannot comment on that,  but I have shot the sportrap, it wasn’t stupidly hard but I thought it was a tough shoot even for a major and my opinion was backed up by some very good well known shots shooting lowish (for them)scores. There are going to be some bruised egos that’s for sure, I enjoyed the shoot so I am not going to complain but I did see some shooters that clearly didn’t.   

Next year it will be held somewhere else with a different target setter so it's not a problem if it was too hard or too easy because in any event it will be different next year with a different set of people singing its praises or condemning it. 

I'm sure all classes are comparable with the lower scores . You will prob find the ones that shoot easier shoots are A class shooters and below and they will be ones with Lower scores than usual. I was fortunate enough to get 2nd in class at the English this year having a good day while the targets were tricky and scores lower it's with getting a place in top 6-10 depending on numbers with prize funds being excellent . I am inconsistent but seem to shoot better at the bigger shoots where it matters . Forget your scores compared to your 'average' look what everyone else in your class has done

Latest posts

Back