Cammo for Clays.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westley

OK Guys and Gals, I need some serious help with this one. Having shot at the local sporting shoot this morning, I have noticed an increasing number of shooters are now wearing Cammo gear and using Cammo guns for clay shooting. It was quite clear that the clays were flying straighter towards these Cammo clad shooters and as such I have come to the conclusion that the clays must be seeing me. I have decided to invest in some suitable Cammo gear to assist in my invisibility. Now comes the advice bit, should I just get some Cammo clothing, including the boots, or go the whole hog and get one of those wonderful Ghillie suits as worn by Army snipers. One big problem I foresee with the Ghillie suit thing is the increasing number of dogs coming clay birding, well, I suppose we owe it to our quarry to make every effort to retrieve wounded clays, but the thoughts of some Labrador, Spaniel or even Jack Russell peeing up my legs, in mistake for the nearest tree, just does not appeal to me. So back to the Cammo clothing, should I go for Mossy Oak, Woodland Green, September Stubble, Marshland Mud or even Desert Dangler. The Ground is in the middle of the Lancashire Plain and therefore the terrain is somewhat pancake shaped (flat), but there is some woodland, so perhaps a middle shade of Cammo would be best. Then, of course there is the gun. I had considered an auto in full Cammo, I noticed that the capacity for 3 shots could prove useful, it seems that if you miss with 2 shots, you can give it the third in the hopes that the clay has slowed down sufficiently to be hit. I was reliably informed that I could probably buy 6 of those Hatstand auto's  for the same value of my over and under, and that was with the sling things already fitted. So, I have a lot to think about, as you can probably imagine. Any advice from other Members on here would be appreciated, especially if you too dress like an extra from Duck Dynasty and have noticed that the clays just do not seem to see you the same.

Thank you in anticipation. W.

P.S. Forgot to add, any boots should be waterproof and easy to clean in order to get the dog fertiliser off them before getting back in my car.

Ha, your a tease mate.

cammo is banned from Cpsa reg events and rightly so. Anyone who wears it for clays should be aware of the negative image they are portraying apart from the fact that you look like a scruffy Arse.

Ha, your a tease mate.

cammo is banned from Cpsa reg events and rightly so. Anyone who wears it for clays should be aware of the negative image they are portraying apart from the fact that you look like a scruffy Arse.
So the boots i bought, with camo flanks are a no no,  but rubber wellies  are ok,    .

:santa:

Last edited by a moderator:
You could place some unbroken clays in a random pattern around the stands in the vain hope they see them and decoy closer to your gun. Maybe an auto with a luminous orange/white/green and black paint job. You maybe onto something here looking forward to the pictures of your clay haul laid out in front of you.. :rolleyes:

" thats when the fight started "

My thoughts are if you want to wear camouflage then join the army.auto's should only be used by those who wish to sit in a ditch waiting for pigeons. And anyone wanting a pump action should be sectioned. Apart from that live and let live

I shot at Borders Wood today and on one of the stands there was a group in front of us with three guys in full camo gear with full camo pump action guns.

eejits.......

How about this.......

null_zps410170cf.jpg

Look how happy he is that he's wearing camo! :)

I`ve noticed that people wearing Jack Pyke brand cammo are much kinder to the clays and leave a far better breeding stock than others.

I suggest a full Camo bivvy , enter under cover of darkness around 4 am and by 6 the clays will have no idea your there and you can surprise them..

post-1930-0-56908400-1405323805.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest a full Camo bivvy , enter under cover of darkness around 4 am and by 6 the clays will have no idea your there and you can surprise them..
I'm sorry but this is getting stupid now.

Everyone knows that clays have an incredible sense of smell. A camo hide will not disguise you!!!

Please do your research before making silly comments like this :p

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Point taken ...enter bivvy at 4am a week before the shoot..

Point taken ...enter bivvy at 4am a week before the shoot..
You're not thinking this through!

Wouldn't that make the smell worse after a week???? :fie:   No, camo is all you need if your fieldcraft skills are up to scratch.

It's sound that really frightens them off. Learn stealth!!    :spiteful:

Back