Birds Only or Competition?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wylye

This topic seems to appear a couple of times a year and lots of people have strong views on the subject but I thought it was worth resurrecting again to see if views have changed. Economic factors are the main influence on which way opinions are divided and despite reassurances from the government, a lot of shooters hang on to their sport in increasingly difficult financial circumstances.

So which way would you go? Work out the odds and see if its worth your while stumping up an extra £6 - £8. For a lot of people it definitely is, some wouldn't enter a shoot if they didn't have a chance of winning cash every week. A select few even manage to break even putting their winnings against entry costs. An even more select few may even make a profit from their shooting - but not many.

Personally I have never entered as birds only. I think it turns a competition into a practice shoot despite scores being recorded, in your head you know your score is irrelevant. Should birds only continue to be an option? Do we need prize money at all?

I've only done it once, earlier this year whilst getting classified for DTL - won't do it again.

I always shoot birds only, on the principle that my score is recorded and I am competing against myself and the clays. I'll happily compete against other people but I don't need there to be money involved. The day I would have won money is the day I reconsider. 

I don't understand people who think that not getting money as a prize somehow invalidates a numeric win. Either you scored highest or you didn't. Why demand that the less powerful reward your success?

My view for what it is worth is scrap birds only.....but that ain't going to happen.

So my suggestion is this. All competitions for a title like an English or British (and even selection shoots) should be competition only with clearly laid out prize fund. If Matt can do it for the shootclay cup...then everyone can.

You would then leave the option of birds only for registered shoots.

You then give this system a 2 year trial.

IMHO for what it is worth :wink:

I always shoot birds only, on the principle that my score is recorded and I am competing against myself and the clays. I'll happily compete against other people but I don't need there to be money involved. The day I would have won money is the day I reconsider. 

I don't understand people who think that not getting money as a prize somehow invalidates a numeric win. Either you scored highest or you didn't. Why demand that the less powerful reward your success?
I understand what you say....but when money or prizes are involved it brings in the ass twitching part of the mental game....as in can you compete under various forms of pressure.

And 'that' campers is what 'real' competition is....before the UK watered it down with birds only. These are two totally different animals...believe me.

Plus when shooting internationally...you do not get any soft cuddly option.

....true story.

So the answers will depend on what you want for yourselves.....neither being right or wrong....just 'different'

10 ...I reckon.... :wink:

The only times I have shot 'birds only' is skeet shoots (in Scotland) where nobody else goes comp!?!? A sporting shoot a couple of weeks ago I got stuck in traffic for 3 hours on the M73, fatal crash, arrived at a selection shoot as the shoot off was taking place, was allowed to shoot the course b/o as I had arrived too late. Booked b/o for the Sportrap at The British open, have never shot Sportrap before and have no classification for it, no point donating £10 (unless someone tells me there is a u/c prize to shoot for)...if there was no b/o option I would still have shot it, paid the extra £10 and never have given it a second thought!!!

Good point made by Tinker (about the pressure etc) but we're not all International Shooters and, shock horror, some of us have no desire (or in my case ability) to do so. 

AFAIK, and please correct me if I'm wrong. Clay Shooting is one of the very few sports where the "ordinary" Jo (see what I did there) can go and have a go or compete if you will, at the same time and place as the top bods. Now that in itself may actually be the problem. But from where I'm looking, it's a good thing. 

Will never shoot birds only, and agree that when I am emperor, it will be removed as an option. 

I shoot both - if I do shoot competition then it depends on whether I feel lucky and whether I stand even the smallest of chances, I am usually in a dream state for this.  For example somewhere like Horne I do sometimes have a chance but somewhere like Westonwood or Westfield I have no chance in hell.  I have though paid the competition part at certain grounds because I know there are only a few ladies and in order for the better ladies to get a pay out they need me to put into the pot.  I don't care either way to be honest.  If I was shooting to win money, I would have given up by now.  Like Liz I shoot for myself, I am in competition with myself and doing battle with the course setters!  I am striving to go up through C class and I think that will be a long while yet.  

Where competition is part of entry I would never question it or grumble about it, I would just accept it.

I always shoot birds only except at the championship shoots where it is not an option. I accept the entry price for these as I feel I am getting more for my money in terms of target quality, organisation and occasion.

In my previous competition days I was classified as A or AA depending on how the break points fell. I am now, through an element of chance, classified as AAA so the way I see it I have to win outright or get nothing. I know this is unlikely so opt for the cheaper option.

Bear in mind, from this year  I will shoot maybe once a month, possibly 5 registered shoots this year, the rest local club events. The reason for this is now purely financial as my circumstances have changed since I was heavily into competition. If I can save £6-8 on my entry I will do it as I need to.

Personally I hate to shoot for cash and always have done. When you find a "Local Hero" has cheated you of your rightful winnings, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Trophies and titles are some incentive, but I just shoot for me, knowing I have done better or worse than expected is reward enough when I compare my scores with the true "Competition Shooters" who are back-stabbing and bickering about winning a fiver, then driving off in their Range Rovers back to their country estates. (No not bitter, just twisted!!).  :sarcastic:

As a form of Karma for my choice, I would have had placings in AAA in a couple of shoots I've done this year locally. Maybe I would be £15 better off, but overall I save by shooting birds only.    :biggrin:

Already you can see why this question can never be answered.......... too many bottles... too many shapes...too many liquids....

But then the Viscount knows that when he posed the question :laugh:

I never shoot birds only, the likelihood of winning my class let alone a place in a competition is pretty remote, but and this is a big but in my case the day the stars align and I stop pissing around with adjustable stocks I might win and a bunch of cold hard mooolah will be in my hand as just reward for my stella performance. On a more serious note most sports benefit from an injection of external cash whereas we seem to fund internally from the participants.?

" thats when the fight started "

I'm all for getting rid of it. As the Shootclay cup shows, when there is no option there is no dilemma. Of course if every entry was comp, it would only take £3 or £4 each to generate the existing prize funds.

I have shot both , purely on finances or what I think is value for money at that particular time. The way I see it is I am always shooting competition i.e against the course and my ability and how far I am from High Gun, my scores are recorded along with everyone else's. 

Back