Consistency

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishgunner

What is the secret ( routine) that's brings about consistency, my consistency is more a less non-existent and always has been and most of the shooters I know that is of the same standard as may self are the same, when I'm good I'm good when I'm bad I'm awful, can be as much as 20birds in a 100bird of a difference, I don't mind when I can't find a bird, but it's the birds I know how to break and still drop, iv been looking for tips on focus on the internet but not finding much, trap shooters have to be masters at this please any tips on what works for you's.

I suffer also from that also - its like trying to find the holy grail I think.  I am still struggling to maintain concentration and would also like to know the secrets but I think there are so many variables that can affect me on any given day.

I think Sian has hit the proverbial nail.  It is down to concentration.

Get yourself a pre-shot routine, whether that be lining up the writing on the base of the cartridges or what ever works for you, but something that helps you clear all other thoughts from your mind and lets you concentrate on the task in hand.  

Eventually this routine will become a subconcious trigger for a particular mindset, so that once you start to do 'it', your brain switches into concentration mode.

I think that half the problem of the 'easy misses' is not 'being in the zone' when in the stand.  Something that I am just learning to do now after about 20 months of practicing to get there.

For me it starts just before I go into the stand when I move the amount of cartridges needed for that stand into the front section of the pocket on my vest, and carries on until I exit.  I have been known to back out of the stand and go back in because I was distracted but thankfully not often.

It doesn't matter what your routine is, so long as you always use it.  Strange at first because it feels like it is something else to remember, but it soon becomes habit.  From there, as you train yourself to concentrate when you do it, it starts to become your mindset trigger.

Just my opinion of course, and plenty of far better shots (than me) on here will have their own methods which I am sure they will share.

Hope that helps.

I suffer also from that also - its like trying to find the holy grail I think. I am still struggling to maintain concentration and would also like to know the secrets but I think there are so many variables that can affect me on any given day.
The secret is out there,
His name is Ed Solomons.

Another vote for Ed - big thing for me was actually doing the same thing!

Meaning - same hold point, same pick-up point, shoot it in the same place - obvious but funny how many times you see that changing with people

pete

What annoys me is the odd dropped one.  Today's first 4 stands was 9,8, 9, 10 (then the wheels fell off with a four - I've lost it with driven birds at the moment).  If I can hit 8s and 9s I should be hitting all of them.

I would love to have an opportunity to learn from Ed but the Irish Sea is in the way, Sian I hear you on the variables something's it's being to lax other times it trying to hard

Bebo even when I'm shooting well I still drop the odd one I shouldn't, I think that is the real difference between the top boys and the rest of us, but to shoot in the high 80s then the high 60s I'd sooner be mid 70s if I was consistently there and build my averages slowly, it's not a type of target that's doing me I drop every type, just can't put my finger on it or what I should try and change ?

I think it matters how you`re feeling,I`ve been shooting mid 80`s lately,went to a shoot today not feeling up for it,did a 65 and nothing seemed right !

Even gimme birds were missed. Shouldn`t have gone is my answer !

I think it matters how you`re feeling,I`ve been shooting mid 80`s lately,went to a shoot today not feeling up for it,did a 65 and nothing seemed right !

Even gimme birds were missed. Shouldn`t have gone is my answer !
The saying goes "class is permanent, form is temporary". I am a bit off at the moment, but I'm not worried. I know it will come back; the smoothness, the calmness, the efficiency. It does come and go. Maybe the top guys know how to sustain it, but many off us just have to ride the roller coaster.

Fully agree,but if you`ve had a tough week,it probably affects you  when you go shooting at the weekend .

Fully agree,but if you`ve had a tough week,it probably affects you when you go shooting at the weekend .
Absolutely. Anything can do it, ranging from personal life dramas, right through to being over keen because you haven't shot for a while. There is a right balance that is hard to ensure you get in to.
For me, I think I have had a little wobble after hitting AA. It started with being very on form to maintain the standard, followed by "this is a waste of time as there is nothing to aim for". I'm getting it sorted..

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely. Anything can do it, ranging from personal life dramas, right through to being over keen because you haven't shot for a while. There is a right balance that is hard to ensure you get in to.
Speaking of consistency (but not wanting to hijack the thread!) Will, are you not "Clever" any more?   :biggrin:

Nice to see you are finally out of the closet now. Sadly I am still firmly trapped inside!  :fie:

Speaking of consistency (but not wanting to hijack the thread!) Will, are you not "Clever" any more?   :biggrin:

Nice to see you are finally out of the closet now. Sadly I am still firmly trapped inside!  :fie:
Well.. Not shooting those cartridges these days.. And let's face it, my brain was never the reason for the name! :) so.. Yes out in the open

Will, I'm glad you said that after two weeks of very mediocre shooting that is so frustrating. I shall repeat that in my head rather than letting my head spin off into a downward spiral!

D

What do you favour these days Will?
I tried quite a few and found that there are plenty that fit the bill for me (not too punchy, decent pattern and not paying through the nose). Rio Target 20, Express Power Blue and Gamebore Velocity are all very good. I used the G Velocities at Westfield yesterday and when I was pointing in the right place the kills were superb on the longer nastiest targets.

It is impossible to know what goes on in the head of a top shooter just before a target unless they tell you . As well as a pre-shot routine most would say it is important to get all the information possible on the clays to be shot before calling pull. An old faithful was to to try and see the clays fly from different viewpoints. Often a target setter will make a clay's flight look straight forward from the stand , but if you watch from a different place you will see it is anything but a simple flight line .

If you did not take the time to look you would loose a clay before you caught on.

Back