30" v 32"

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyosk

Thinking about changing my two trap guns for one. I have seen one that my well fit the bill however it's 32" barrels. I've always shot 30" so was wondering whether it makes a big difference (length) or is the the extra weight that you notice more.

I realise you need to feel it but it's a fair way to travel to see it, so thought I'd ask opinions I first ? I have always shot 30" but do shoot one of them with a 2" choke sticking out the end !

Thanks for any thoughts you may have

I have a 30" 525 and 32" 3800 the 3800 is better balanced the 525 nose heavy especially with extended chokes its all in the balance scores went up as soon as i went to the 32" recently shot a 32" high rib and was very underwhelmed...

So the barrel length alone does not a good gun make!

What you thinking of? Shoot it before you buy!

Can't really see how anyone can advise you on this, the only way to know is to try it for yourself.  

For what it's worth, I recently moved from 30 to 32 - a 30" 525 Browning to a 32" CG Challenger. The CG is by far the nicer, smoother and more refined shotgun. But I'm not sure how that can help you? 

For my money, you'll need to go and try it out. 

Good luck :good:

EDIT: Just re-read my words above. To clarify - What I meant was that I can't see how anyone else can advise you what is or might be better for you. The only way you'll know is to go see/try this 32" gun for yourself. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice, sure your right. I will have to of down and try it.

Most proper trap shooters use 75cm Perazzi's don't they ? :)

Surely it depends what you want to use it for though ?

The physics does not lie.  What do you want in a gun?  A dynamic 32 will never be as dynamic as a dynamic 30.  A really heavy 30 can be nearly as ponderous as a heavy 32 - or a normal 32 the way they feel to me.

I notice lotsa new style briefly owned 32" Perazzi sporting guns on the market.  I wonder why?

I love fads, don't you?  Remember when a "sporting gun had to be a 28" or it wasn't a real one?  And now skeet with a 32"? 

crazy old world, ain't it?

Yep, depends which discipline you shoot. For DTL and ABT, unless you're very small in stature, 32" without question. For faster disciplines 30" would probably be the way to go but you'd need to try both back to back to be sure.

Now listen

I am not opinionated in any way (as everyone knows, cough) but I am right about one thing......

30" every time (or even 29.5") regardless of how gigantic (you think) you are for ALL trap disciplines even DTL but particularily ABT and OT. I remain unconvinced of the benefit of a 32". As Mr Wonko says you can have a slow 30" if that what floats yer boat. There is something just not right about the look or the feel or the balance of anything above 31" . A well designed well balanced 30" will handle better than any 32" imo, unless your shooting DTL and are awake at the time and therefore swinging too fast so you need a veryyyyy slowwwww gun so rather than buying a very bad handling pig of a 30" (ideal for DTL) you buy a 32" which handles very good for a 32 but still a pig. Job done.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

This is of course only my opinion.

The first bit is serious but from and including the word "unless" a certain amount of humour was intended. Please ignore or do not read the rest from and including the word "unless" as the content if taken literally may cause offence to certain members. No flashing images were used, no text or images of a sexual nature are used and no animals were hurt during the making of this post.

Now listen

I am not opinionated in any way (as everyone knows, cough) but I am right about one thing......

30" every time (or even 29.5") regardless of how gigantic (you think) you are for ALL trap disciplines even DTL but particularily ABT and OT. I remain unconvinced of the benefit of a 32". As Mr Wonko says you can have a slow 30" if that what floats yer boat. There is something just not right about the look or the feel or the balance of anything above 31" . A well designed well balanced 30" will handle better than any 32" imo, unless your shooting DTL and are awake at the time and therefore swinging too fast so you need a veryyyyy slowwwww gun so rather than buying a very bad handling pig of a 30" (ideal for DTL) you buy a 32" which handles very good for a 32 but still a pig. Job done.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

This is of course only my opinion.

The first bit is serious but from and including the word "unless" a certain amount of humour was intended. Please ignore or do not read the rest from and including the word "unless" as the content if taken literally may cause offence to certain members. No flashing images were used, no text or images of a sexual nature are used and no animals were hurt during the making of this post.
Well, I'm not opinionated in any way either.  Nor am I judgmental.  People should be perfectly free to offer their obviously misguided advice about the advantages of stupidly long barrels and misguided people should be perfectly free to purchase such ridiculously burdened guns.

It's just fantastic to live in the semi-free societies, innit?

Charlie 

Well I can miss is splendid form with both 30 and 32 at OT, ABT and DTL.  I have had some 32's which handle very fast, but I've also had 30's that handle like a barge full of bricks! The only safe way is to shoot variouis guns and find out, but bear in mind that two 30's or 32's, even of the same make and model, can handle totally differently to each other. All down to personal choice at the end of the day.

Latest posts

Back