MK70 v MK38 sporters. Advice please!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forester

I really fancy a 30" Miroku grade 3 sporter, for Clays, and occasional game and vermin shooting,

Has anyone here had experience of both.

I am a big bloke so the weight of the gun is not an issue.

My gut feeling is to go with the MK38, but i'd like opinions about the 70 if possible.

sure will be a lot of opinions here,   :hunter:      ,,both are popular,, as is a similar browning, etc,  very reliable ,robust guns,,which eventually give a few misfires, set of new pins and springs and off again for the next 75000 shots.!   all down to personal choice,,but try to shoot with what you decide on before purchase,

one thing,,, even a big bloke will notice carrying it for walk up shooting, close to 8ib,,, and maybe a couple geese/rabbits/pheasants, plus ammo,,,et.al.  knackered after 4 hours! ( maybe a cheap ss ,,,don't matter if it gets wet either.)

Perhaps if you look at their history it may explain the subtle differences. The MK70 was derived from the 7000 multi choke game gun, (the 6000 being the fixed choke model). The MK38 sporter was derived from the number of people who were finding that the 3800 trap gun made a good sporter either as was,  or "sporterised" (for sporterised, read butchered). All Miroku trap models were quite 'flat' shooting, compared to other makes. The MK38 was the follow on, from the 3800 and Miroku saw the opportunity to capitalise on the trap gun conversions by making those changes themselves and selling the gun as a 'sporter'. The MK38 Teague sporter was fitted with after market Teague chokes, the MK38 trap remains fixed choke. Of course one major difference is that the MK38 'Teague' has flared muzzles to take the chokes, the 3800 conversion was often fitted with thin walled Teague chokes and did not have the flared muzzles. Hope this is of some assistance. I'm off to buy a new anorak.

Experience of both Yes, major differences No.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps if you look at their history it may explain the subtle differences. The MK70 was derived from the 7000 multi choke game gun, (the 6000 being the fixed choke model). The MK38 sporter was derived from the number of people who were finding that the 3800 trap gun made a good sporter either as was,  or "sporterised" (for sporterised, read butchered). All Miroku trap models were quite 'flat' shooting, compared to other makes. The MK38 was the follow on, from the 3800 and Miroku saw the opportunity to capitalise on the trap gun conversions by making those changes themselves and selling the gun as a 'sporter'. The MK38 Teague sporter was fitted with after market Teague chokes, the MK38 trap remains fixed choke. Of course one major difference is that the MK38 'Teague' has flared muzzles to take the chokes, the 3800 conversion was often fitted with thin walled Teague chokes and did not have the flared muzzles. Hope this is of some assistance. I'm off to buy a new anorak.

Experience of both Yes, major differences No.
Great answer!

very much appreciated

Thanks

I may be misinformed, but I was under the belief that the precursor to the MK70, the 7000, was a sporter and not a game gun?!

I have a 7000 and it's model is engraved as "7000 SP 1" meaning sporter grade 1 I believe. It weighs a good 8lbs if not over, which also lends itself towards a sporter rather than a game gun. I think the MK60 and 6000 were the game guns?

However, the MK38 seems to now be the most popular.

Wesley

you need to get out more mate :)

only joking excellent and informative reply for the op

Thanks Guy's,

With regards to the 7000 being a sporter, it was available in game/sporter variations, the difference being the auto or manual safety and the rib configurations, as was the 6000. The follow on MK range were game, sporter and trap models. To the best of my knowledge the 3800 and the MK 38 models have always been aimed at the dedicated clay shooter (so to speak).

P.S.

The 6000 was available in trap configuration with a rib so high it could give you nose bleeds !

Latest posts

Back