Southdown SE Inter Counties 5/6 Apr

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamster

This isn't going to be a stand by stand break down but just to say myself and a friend shot this today and whoever set the targets up did a grand job.  :)

We were expecting to see just a dozen cars there being Saturday but it was packed without having tedious waits and had quite a good atmosphere, 14 stands in all with maybe no more than 3 of them steady and the rest all on the medium to firm side with lots of speed, edge on crossers, good loopers, fair rabbits, fair window pairs and next to nothing outside half choke capability. Thoroughly enjoyable and very well set I thought, the only drawback was the entry fee of £41 which I think is getting on the steep side a bit and that horrid track of theirs. :unsure:

I'm kind of glad I don't live 20 minutes away because that is a car breaker if you do it every week.  :mellow:

This isn't going to be a stand by stand break down but just to say myself and a friend shot this today and whoever set the targets up did a grand job.  :)

We were expecting to see just a dozen cars there being Saturday but it was packed without having tedious waits and had quite a good atmosphere, 14 stands in all with maybe no more than 3 of them steady and the rest all on the medium to firm side with lots of speed, edge on crossers, good loopers, fair rabbits, fair window pairs and next to nothing outside half choke capability. Thoroughly enjoyable and very well set I thought, the only drawback was the entry fee of £41 which I think is getting on the steep side a bit and that horrid track of theirs. :unsure:

I'm kind of glad I don't live 20 minutes away because that is a car breaker if you do it every week.  :mellow:
As I said on the other thread, I very much agree with you.  Not much easy there but nothing silly either.  Good atmosphere as well.

E

Entry fee of £41 ???, remember this is a regional shoot which would incurr a £2 levy (or more) & set over 14 stands.

How much is a normal 100 bird shoot with 12 stands ??.......... one would argue that its still 100 targets but with the extra wages of 2 refs to absorb, the costs have to be accounted for.

E

Entry fee of £41 ???, remember this is a regional shoot which would incurr a £2 levy (or more) & set over 14 stands.

How much is a normal 100 bird shoot with 12 stands ??.......... one would argue that its still 100 targets but with the extra wages of 2 refs to absorb, the costs have to be accounted for.
It's just that it's bound to give the other grounds ideas, we are all very much a captive market and regardless of what some say about voting with your feet, that simply isn't an option because there are only so many grounds to chose from. I can still recall 100 birders being around the £22-£24 mark with decent paybacks and all of a sudden they started going up a fiver a week and then we had the crash/recession in 08 they suddenly stopped, wonder why ?

It's just that it's bound to give the other grounds ideas, we are all very much a captive market and regardless of what some say about voting with your feet, that simply isn't an option because there are only so many grounds to chose from. I can still recall 100 birders being around the £22-£24 mark with decent paybacks and all of a sudden they started going up a fiver a week and then we had the crash/recession in 08 they suddenly stopped, wonder why ?
I wont get into a discussion about entry fees & payback costs, i dont need to.......

I cant comment for others but i feel that too many think that running a ground is a licence to print money !!

The amount of reinvestment that has been made at certain grounds shows in the foot traffic that those grounds get in entries....

A shooting ground is a business just as any other industry is & needs to cover its operational costs.

A new recently registered ground charged £38-50 for 100 ESP over 10 stands, so £00-50p more for another 4 stands + 4 extra refs + 8 extra traps & your complaining ??? 

Shot this today first thing as busy tomoz! Found it an enjoyable shoot that u had to keep at it to get a score hit 81 in the end and missed 7 on my first stand !! Had not woken or sobered up enough from getting in at 3 this morning .

Nice targets

I wont get into a discussion about entry fees & payback costs, i dont need to.......

I cant comment for others but i feel that too many think that running a ground is a licence to print money !!

The amount of reinvestment that has been made at certain grounds shows in the foot traffic that those grounds get in entries....

A shooting ground is a business just as any other industry is & needs to cover its operational costs.

A new recently registered ground charged £38-50 for 100 ESP over 10 stands, so £00-50p more for another 4 stands + 4 extra refs + 8 extra traps & your complaining ??? 
£38.50 (Churchills ?) was a mid week job so the entries are clearly going to suffer, plus they have the kind of lodge and facilities that places like Southdown can only dream of, besides I would have moaned about that too but didn't because I didn't go and it certainly would have a bearing on me entering in future unless they either reduce it or make it 12 stands. 

£38.50 (Churchills ?) was a mid week job so the entries are clearly going to suffer, plus they have the kind of lodge and facilities that places like Southdown can only dream of, besides I would have moaned about that too but didn't because I didn't go and it certainly would have a bearing on me entering in future unless they either reduce it or make it 12 stands. 
Do your homework..... .

EJC is 12 stands, it was A G & L...

The days of 100 esp Reg for £20/24 are a distant memory i think

I inquired at the entry desk (Southdown Eng and Inter counties 100 sp shoot) why £41 ? answer received >>>> £5 levy £36 for the shoot !!!! now how much goes where and to who I do not know.

it would seem that there was 2 levies being charged at a shoot that incorporated a inter counties and a England selection shoot ? was there any need for the two to run at the same event ? good guaranteed income for a two day shoot must have played it's part in the decision ????? 

And could someome explain where this Levy money goes, cos its certainly not the England Team (see pull mag).

The levy would go to South East Region for the Intercounties shoot and to CPSA H.Q. for the selection shoot. The counties that enter teams get nowt. What no one has mentioned is the cost of fuel to get there. The journey for Hamster is over 200 miles and ,before anyone says that he didn't have to go, He was representing his county so would not want to let the team down. I would guess that the total cost to him would have been between £90-£100 without food.

An expensive day in any ones book.

If the CPSA were a bit more generous in putting some of the income that they receive from county members back in to the respective county's we might be able to offer more support to those that support us.

So there we have it - not the grounds fault and not them screwing shooters but different sections of the CPSA: HQ and Region.

The question now is what are they doing with the money?

Back