10,000 hours....the answer

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In short,   maybe not an expert, but will certainly improve your game considerably,  

When i started Archery, i was reasonable, but my average  scores were quite low, and i was never placed in the top 3 at club comps  - indoor  or outdoor.

I shot on average 1-2 times per week  8-10hrs total  

I then changes to a shift pattern,  so used the opposing shift pattern to go and practice    3-6 times a week  average 18-20 hrs per week

Scores shot up -   I took  first place in our indoor club championships    score of 560 ex 600   and was in the top 5 outdoor for my class

However, you have to keep it up,   i took a break for a year....  (wedding)   and my scores plummeted ...  to the point i gave up  :(

So yes, spend the time (and money) and you  will  see benefits, 

Mart

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen trigger time overcome average talent so defo agree practice (and WILL) is king.

Near the end of the artical it says perhaps talented people just practice more because they enjoy it. In most cases success = enjoyment so what you believe in yourself is being successful you carry on. As Santa2512 says aftet a enforced lay off he doesn't feel as successful and given up.

Clive Woodward the rugby coach had observed that most sports lose their best talent at some point because of this. Consider this - A talented junior wins everything in his age group without much effort. Another junior in the same group isn't as talented but works hard and gets good results but doesn't win everything. They then move into the next age group and compete against strong and more experienced competitors. Most of talented ones give up as they don't put the practice time to make up the performance gap to win everything again and are discouraged.The one thats always worked hard puts the work in and sees relative success carries on.

His point I think is that you need to be motivated to succeed whether talented or not. But talent droppes out early. The challenge s to keep them in their sports.

I'm an archer too. I don't practices as much now as I used to and scoes suffer badly. However if theres a comp I fancy doing I know that if I put 2 weeks of daily practice in just before I can shoot at close to my best (MB) which im prepare to do. To improve further though, to say make a national team (*too old now anyway)I I would meed to shoot 6 days a week 300 arrows a day. I can't do that, so not motivated to put up a half hearted effort all year round.

So go clay shooting instead.

Being wonderful is in the wiring.  People are not all wired the same no matter how PC you want to be.  Practice will give you the opportunity to be as wonderful as you are wired to be.  But if your wiring is not world class wonderful you won't be either.

and that's just the way it is   :haha:

P.S.  It get worse as you age and the wiring degrades.  Don't bother asking me how I know that.

I heard a program on Radio 4 a few years back.  I forget the exact details now, but in essence the message was - "its not about natural ability or talent, it is all about effort" 

It was a concept i wanted to get over to my kids as a good starting point for all things in life.  I then heard this program and it made the exact point I was trying to convey to my kids very succinctly.  I sat down with both my kids at separate times to listen to this program and then discuss it.  Such a powerful piece. 

I think I still have a copy on my old computer, ill see if I can get the details...

its suprising just how good people can become with practice.i know a couple of AAA shots who are not natural but work very hard at it.and i also know a few natural shots that are not really interested in shooting clays.

I heard a program on Radio 4 a few years back.  I forget the exact details now, but in essence the message was - "its not about natural ability or talent, it is all about effort" 

It was a concept i wanted to get over to my kids as a good starting point for all things in life.  I then heard this program and it made the exact point I was trying to convey to my kids very succinctly.  I sat down with both my kids at separate times to listen to this program and then discuss it.  Such a powerful piece. 

I think I still have a copy on my old computer, ill see if I can get the details...
I have heard very convincing arguments from both quarters. Gerhard Berger reckoned on effort tipping the balance, substantially informed individuals though believe talent is born not made. Personally I think both types can succeed at the very top but you need a fearless heart and a bit of arrogance either way.

its suprising just how good people can become with practice.i know a couple of AAA shots who are not natural but work very hard at it.and i also know a few natural shots that are not really interested in shooting clays.
So true.

Typical PC rot.

So if I had studied my ass off for the entirety of my life I'd be as smart and creative as Stephan Hocking.  Riiiiight!  I could be the equal of the world's greatest artists?  I could write Pulitzer novels?  I could be an Olympic gymnast?  Out run Bolt?  Puhleeze!

Do you really think that the just-not-quite-great are simply not trying hard enough?

Get over it - some people are simply better. 

But of course, in egalitarian society dominated by the concept of freedom, anything is possible, innit?

besta luck on that

Kind of agree with Mr wonko. Some people have natural talent however what makes some people with natural talent really achieve over other naturally talented folk is for want of a better expression a certain arrogance and self belief. Natural talent, practice and self belief = an achiever.

Ps

re- self belief, have you ever noticed when you put the gun up and think for a split second i hope i hit this target, you miss !!!

Latest posts

Back