target angle

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

One for the mathematicians.

Abt it i think now 32.5 degrees plus or minus something or other. But what does a full angle left target equate to when shot from peg 1 and now that abt is ot speed how does that compare with the most severe ot target on a given scheme.

Bloody abt

Hi Ian

Really need a diagram but the angle subtended by a 45 right /left at OT is 135 degrees from the centre of the peg to the line of flight. I have not worked it out fully for ABT but it is much very less therefore the target is effectively traversing at a slower rate ie you do not need to lead it as much so I think in theory at least it should be easier to hit assuming the speed and the trajectory are the same. I hope this helps a little, I could work it out fully but can't be bothered so will just say the OT target should be more difficult to hit because its lateral velocity with respect to the shooter is greater. I have taken no standing position into account all lines are from centre to centre.

A 32.5 degree from peg 3 must equate to something similar to 45 degrees from peg 1 surely ? hence same as ot.

What you are asking Ian is the sum of the angle of peg1 in ABT plus the max target angle of 32.5deg, you are 15m back and 6m to the left so you want 40% of 45deg so the amount of angle extra is 18deg where the max angle for OT is 45deg. So the max target exit angle for ABT is 50deg.

Hallelujah thank you Mr 40up.

ps. I have no idea how you worked that out but I am impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your stance at ABT only ever needs to cover a possible target range of 65deg what ever the peg. Your stance at OT must always cover 90deg.

Sorry Ian I completely misunderstood what you were asking I took my ref from peg 1 abt Doh! But to reiterate my answer the ABT target should be easier depending on your take on shooting it is traversing less with respect to the shooter.

Sorry 40UP not getting any of that at all. But I am going purely on angles from centre to centre and not taking in any difference in the exit of the target from the fosse. If you assume the target leaves from the centre the angle for a 32.5 target from peg 1 abt is something less than 120 degrees whereas for OT at 45 it is 135 max. I don't know much but I would rather take on the abt target thank you very much. Of course this is from the centre of the peg ... but you would be made not to take a cautionary stance from any peg you cannot guarantee what you are going to get can you?

Remember also that the 50deg ABT target is concealed for the first 2m of its flight whereas the 45deg OT target is visible before it passes the mark.

Your stance at ABT only ever needs to cover a possible target range of 65deg what ever the peg. Your stance at OT must always cover 90deg.
true, abt peg for instance a straight or a left, ot everything possible. Only reason I ask was because I had many very hard angled targets yesterday and they seemed much tighter angle than any ot target, seems I was correct.

Remember also that the 50deg ABT target is concealed for the first 2m of its flight whereas the 45deg OT target is visible before it passes the mark.
exactly my point on the other thread fred.

Quite possible but think about this on peg one if you got both extremes one would be almost straight both extremes at OT I don't think there is any comparison and that is what it is about. In abt on peg one your most extreme in one direction is way way easier than the equivalent in OT and unfortunately when you shoot you have to bare that in mind an OT target is always traversing at the angle whereas in abt what sounds difficult is in fact nearly straight. Just my take on it chalk and cheese really, I think anyway.

The reason scores at ABT are always higher is that all ABT targets have the same speed. It is impossible for the 15 traps at OT to be set to the same speed even if they tried. OT targets are deliberately different speeds.

Quite possible but think about this on peg one if you got both extremes one would be almost straight both extremes at OT I don't think there is any comparison and that is what it is about. In abt on peg one your most extreme in one direction is way way easier than the equivalent in OT and unfortunately when you shoot you have to bare that in mind an OT target is always traversing at the angle whereas in abt what sounds difficult is in fact nearly straight. Just my take on it chalk and cheese really, I think anyway.
What?

We have or rather 40up and his mathematical mind has established the extreme abt left from peg one is a whopping 5 degrees more than any ot target, yes the other option is a straight but whoopy doo you still have a 50 degree target to contend with.

What I mean is that a 32.5 degree left right from peg one at abt is hardly traversing with respect to the shooter, assuming he is right handed, when you bring your gun to bare the target is almost travelling straight away. When you get a target from any peg at oOT when it says 30 or 35 or 45 that means exactly what is says on the tin the target is moving across your line of sight at the angle described I can't be more clear. There are only five straight or straight  ish targets in OT. Like it or not depending where you happen to be when the target is thrown at abt you can in fact get a target that although leaving the trap house at an angle of x degrees is actually hardly traversing at all with respect to the shooter and when the gun is brought to bare the target it travelling almost straight away from the shooter.. this does not happen in OT I cannot be more clear!

OK here's a interesting one you.

When shooting OT you set up pointing at the mark so your lateral gun movement is the same for an extreme right or left hand target.

When setting up on peg 1 for ABT the LH target angle is 54.3 degrees while the RH target is only 10.7 degrees.

However a typical hold point on peg 1 is just a few degrees in front of the trap house meaning that the RH target is pretty much a straightish target of say 18 to 20 degrees (requiring little gun movement) while a max LH target is essentially a full on quartering crosser (at 54 degrees). Therefore, surely common sense would suggest that you should actually set up more towards the centre of the two target extremes rather than towards the easier RH target? This would allow you get on to the extreme LH target much quicker than currently happens. Obviously the opposite applies for peg 5.

Might look a bit odd mind pointing your gun into the middle of the trap field!

Thoughts?

DT

I am troubled by the randomness of ABT traps. If they were developed to give a random distribution within their designed 90deg arc then pegged the motors to 65deg would not the motors spend much of their time at the limits of their range in their efforts at randomness. How would they know to randomise only in a 65deg range.

You know something DT and this is no dig come to France you won't see hardly anybody using a gun hold position they nearly all hold on the centre of the fosse and with good reason gun holds are just an insurance policy for those who fear certain targets if you are confident shooting in both left and right direction ... which a good shooter should you wont have any problem. Standing at an OT peg where there is a left right 45 and a right left 40 where are you holding your gun?

Back