Southdown 12 July Premier league

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimbusgb

After a marathon session at Westfield on Saturday we headed for Southdown for leg 3 of the Premier league on Sunday.

Expecting a marathon turnout Southdown had pulled out all the stops I think. 4*4's were directed off to an overspill parking area leaving the regular car-park for the normal stuff. I have not checked the numbers but I suspect that they were let down in terms of attendance though which is a pity.

As a 'warm up' we'd booked onto the Sporttrap for the morning session. 4 layouts that, after the previous days targets, were surprisingly close. They were not significantly easier to hit though! :)

Off to a cracking start on the first layout the inclement weather got involved on layout 2. It got a bit 'interesting' as one trap decided it was going to double tap just about every time and at one point a second trap joined in with 4 clays in the air at the same time which the scorer all but ignored.

Layout 3 and the weather had dug it's heels in, lots of rain and the wind playing games with target flights. Unfortunately the E trap was chewing clays rather than throwing them.

Layout 4 was U.S. when we arrived and a bit of a backlog was forming. Just as we started a battery went flat so another delay.

Scraped a 74 x 100 which is 25 clear of my current average on the discipline so not unhappy.

We got a bit of lunch in, the catering kitchen was heaving with good grub, and tootled off to do the Premier Sporting shoot.

14 stands all down the lane and the impression was that it was very quiet. We barely waited all afternoon.

The weather was a big component. The wind was probably 15 knots gusting 20 or 25 at times so most clays were being blown about. The targets were perhaps a little softer than usual for Southdown but not really reflected in the scores. When we left at the end of the day Richard Faulds had just completed on 99 but the rest of the 'club' shooters were well down on that.

A couple of really interesting stands. was it 12 where the tower bird was being blown behind the tree line? That caused a few raised hackles! One of our squad turning and quite legally taking it as it reappeared over the lane, going away.

A little further up the lane 11 (?) had an overhead from behind pair that floated past and provided amusement for all observing the differing styles of shooting. results ranging from one or two hits to straights.

Rosso finished on a very respectable 92 and nailed a podium finish in B class which would have been great if he hadn't been shooting for someone else's team! :)  

Generally a nice shoot. The weather although challenging wasn't particularly bad. Pity about the turnout and the few breakdowns.

Rosso smokes another one!

20150712_142355.jpg

20 shades of Grey! 'It could be worse' one of our crew said, 'It could be raining'

So it did!

20150712_142250.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would usually have supported and been there but I had booked into the Sportasc for the Sunday long before I realised the Premier League was at Souhdown on the Sunday.  Should be better at planning things!

Nice to shoot with you guys. Nimbus shot very well on many stands. Rosso was just tidy everywhere, great job.

One to forget for me.. The day started with hitting the first 24 targets on the first STR layout then dropped off somewhat.. (Well, a 23 on the last layout but we won't talk about the middle layouts).

The sporting course was truly odd I thought. My head was programmed for the Southdown that I remember, high stuff from cherry pickers and big battues. Instead, there was no lead needed anywhere and so much of it was quartering and slowing and / or very close. The stand mentioned in above post said it all. It was near the end and we finally got to see a great cherry-picker out in the field. I though, right, here we go. Then they showed me a pair, which was a floppy 15 yard low looper and a slow low driven that wanted to nest in the hedge I was stood next to. 

I think the course was meant to be easier for the big crowd (that didn't turn up.. Perhaps location and weather hurt). I just found it impossible to reign myself in and missed 16 simple targets in front, plus four more random ones. I usually never reconsider a sporting course once shot, but two stands from the end I felt that if I could have started again then a mid 90's score was very doable, just by relaxing right down. Of course all this is academic hot air. My mind was wrong and I shot poorly accordingly, end-of. 

So far, I genuinely think that EJ Churchill have put on the best targets of the three Premier League Club shoots. WLSS had the best day in terms of weather, ground presentation, organisation, flow. They just needed to toughen up three of the easier stands that day to get the course spot-on. Southdown did a reasonable job, but the targets were a bit odd. I'm merely reviewing to feel what the best all-round day would be.

It was an odd course which was saved by the gusting wind i thought . Not a normal Southdown layout for sure . Still two 99`s with those gusts was exceptional shooting and Rosso with a 92 top draw . I shot mostly in front like Will . Enjoyable company made up for the weather .

I don't know what happened yesterday but I just managed to lose concentration without realising.

One stand where there was a sim pair of a quartering away from R-L then an incoming looper from L-R.  Smoked the first pair then couldn't find the bin to put my empties and faffed around looking for it.  I then missed the next 5 targets hitting the very last one.

I blanked the first stand totally which is something I can't remember doing in ages.  

On a positive note I cleared a few of the stands and had a couple where I dropped one so not all too bad.

Finished on a mixed 68, nice ground but will shoot the sport trap to next time just to make the 160 mile trip worthy.

I banged the final coffin nail to my chances of a half decent score on that stand. I was paying lots of attention to the fast away bird, and was unworried about the very close, full face looper. I hit all the always and only the last looper! A real empty cartridge experience! I was just in front of it, of course..

One stand where there was a sim pair of a quartering away from R-L then an incoming looper from L-R.  Smoked the first pair then couldn't find the bin to put my empties and faffed around looking for it.  I then missed the next 5 targets hitting the very last one.
Dan your a lefty like me. I made my mind up years ago if I cannot drop my shells in the bin in a way that does not put me off my shooting, then I eject them and pick them up afterwards. That's what I did on that stand. Shooters worry to much about getting shells in the bin when they should be concentrating on hitting the clays. 

Very good point Rosso, come to think about it I do seem to worry more about getting them in the bin than my next pair.

I think I overthought the wind element and also missed a fair few in front. Blanked stand 14 with the rabbit and mini and got a 1 on another stand so was pretty happy to finish on  68.

The stand with the driven bird off the cherry picker was made for a left hander. I straighted it but my final bird was inside the trees so I shot through the tree and luckily got the kill.

Talking of cartridge bins was it stand two it was placed left of the stand so hard to use? Good tip Rosso!

Southdown definetely win for best catering and numbers werent that far behind WLSS.

I too was expecting a testing Southdown shoot I thought I had turned up at another ground, all those big open spaces wasted! I wonder how many straights there would have been if the the weather was good. I have too say I'm a big fan of Southdown shoots but this one was frankly dull there was about 7 stands I can't remember what the targets were! ( floppy quartering stuff) ????

I hope the CPSA haven't been influencing the targets to promote the premier league 

AJB

Does anyone know if Bob set Sundays course?

Some of your comments make me think that perhaps he didn't!

No, he is in the States at moment and has been for last few weeks!

Whoever set layout three on the STR had had their weetabix! It made that Northall one look like a round of skeet. Plus it tipped down as we shot it. Card wrecker!
Go shoot the new 'bottom' compac at Northall Will. Shades of the Sportasc targets! The trap on the bank at the back must be 10m up, 65m out and 20m off centreline.

Latest posts

Back