OT coaching with David Kostelecky

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog Tyred

Welcome day off work today spent in the company of the 2008 Olympic trap champion, David Kostelecky at Nuthampstead for some coaching in the black art that is OT.

Six shooters of varying levels lined up on D layout, eager for input to improve their technique.

The first line of 25 allowed assessment of each shooters technique, followed by a one on one debrief and advice of things to work on. Two more lines of 25 before lunch allowed shooters to work on what they had been advised with constant input from DK.

Two more practice lines after lunch and it's really starting to sink in. The last of the six rounds was an impromptu competition to bring a little spice to proceedings although no prizes.

Did I learn anything? Loads, (but respect to DK does not permit me to divulge the trade secrets. You'll have to sign up for the next one). Managed a 24 ex 25 on round 3 and joint top score of 23 in the final round (demoted to second on count back!).

Need to practice everything I learned now until it becomes second nature.

All in all a very enjoyable day out, made all the better by the weather and the entertaining company. David is a real gent and his easy going coaching style made it easy to understand what he wanted you to do.

A big thank you to David and Tony Busvine for organising the day. Can't wait for the next one now.

Oh and I need a new stock!

DT

Edit: 2008 Olympic champion not 2006 Doh!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome day off work today spent in the company of the 2006 Olympic trap champion, David Kostelecky at Nuthampstead for some coaching in the black art that is OT.

Six shooters of varying levels lined up on D layout, eager for input to improve their technique.

The first line of 25 allowed assessment of each shooters technique, followed by a one on one debrief and advice of things to work on. Two more lines of 25 before lunch allowed shooters to work on what they had been advised with constant input from DK.

Two more practice lines after lunch and it's really starting to sink in. The last of the six rounds was an impromptu competition to bring a little spice to proceedings although no prizes.

Did I learn anything? Loads, (but respect to DK does not permit me to divulge the trade secrets. You'll have to sign up for the next one). Managed a 24 ex 25 on round 3 and joint top score of 23 in the final round (demoted to second on count back!).

Need to practice everything I learned now until it becomes second nature.

All in all a very enjoyable day out, made all the better by the weather and the entertaining company. David is a real gent and his easy going coaching style made it easy to understand what he wanted you to do.

A big thank you to David and Tony Busvine for organising the day. Can't wait for the next one now.

Oh and I need a new stock!

DT
Looks like a great experience with a lot of very useful instruction. Now go and write it down its fresh in your mind and keep it in a safe place to refer back to in the future. Wish I had written all of the great advice I keep forgetting down.

you at SC this weekrnd?

Looks like a great experience with a lot of very useful instruction. Now go and write it down its fresh in your mind and keep it in a safe place to refer back to in the future.

Wish I had written all of the great advice I keep forgetting down.

you at SC this weekrnd?
Ha! Already written down, laminated and in the range bag! We'll the first bit is true anyway.

Not at SC for the ABT this WE but down the following WE for the UT.

Good luck this weekend.

DT

Well shot Greg.

Sounds like a worthwhile experience i have heard that his coaching technique is very good.

What was the cost like?
Coaching day was £160 including drinks and lunch but excludes clays which are £6.50 a round at Nuthampstead. Budget for six rounds.

I guess £160 for a days coaching might seem expensive but its not often you can recieve coaching from an Olympic champ!

DT

That sounds very cheap to me... 6 shooters - just shy of £1k less expenses, feels like you got a good deal if you were able to get some good 1:1 time, and some good coaching for just £160

Coaching day was £160 including drinks and lunch but excludes clays which are £6.50 a round at Nuthampstead. Budget for six rounds.

I guess £160 for a days coaching might seem expensive but its not often you can recieve coaching from an Olympic champ!

DT
The cost is relative to what you get out of it, sounds to me like you got your money's worth!!!

£160 for a day being coached by an Olympic champion sounds like good value to me, I would jump at that chance! So his advice ties in with your other post about visiting Brescia for that stock... well at least you only need a stock I don't think they can do a brain transplant which would be the most likely comment made when seeing my shooting! :) Seriously though I have never heard the word coach used on a stand down here I would really like to have the opportunity you had there!

The best way to look at a days coaching like that is, cost £160, less than 1000 shells...did you learn anything that you didn't learn yourself in the last 1000 shells or were likley to learn for yourself in the next 1000 shells, my guess is you did!?!?

I have no idea how much a days coaching would cost based on 6 shooters to one coach. I guess it would be less than £160 per head though, hence my comment.

Take into account cartridges, clays and diesel I guess it worked out in the region of £280 which is an expensive day out in my books.

Was it worth it for the coaching input alone ? Every penny. Plus DK is now my new bezzi mate. :friends:

Would I do it again. Deffo

Regarding the stock I knew it didn't fit me before I went but David confirmed it. If he can get me hitting 23's and 24's at OT with an ill fitting stock, think what I can do with one that actually fits!!

DT

DT makes you think what you, or I, could do with regular coaching from him or a coach of similar quality. I know I need coaching to improve what I am doing, the problem is I cannot find one. I get the odd you are doing this from some shooters at the grounds but to be honest most of these shooters don't really know what they are talking about and are only really saying this is the way I do it... none of them are past Olympic champions some only shoot two targets a round more than I do! I think if you had someone standing behind you watching you shoot and correcting your faults on a weekly basis then the improvements would show quite quickly until you hit the top of the curve.

DT makes you think what you, or I, could do with regular coaching from him or a coach of similar quality.  ... I think if you had someone standing behind you watching you shoot and correcting your faults on a weekly basis then the improvements would show quite quickly until you hit the top of the curve.
I suspect you are spot on John.

Hi DT, where was the coaching advertised and who do I need to contact to book onto the next one?

Greg, how come you've been shooting with an ill fitting stock mate? Were you aware of it before seeing DK?

ps, please can you pm details for booking? Cheers!

Hi everyone,

Is anyone looking for coaching. As Michael Diamond is visiting the UK in early July..... Please PM for details

Back