Hornet SG – 4th December 2011

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
After all the discussion today on WW - I thought it might be good to have a quick run through of my first trip to Hornet SG for their 120reg yesterday.Turned up at about 9.15 - nice and easy to find, to arrive at about the same time as Fuz, Bob and Wendy - myself & JonSkeet + Tobi made six for the squad. Cup of coffee in the small, but warm and welcoming clubhouse and we were off.Format was 120 birds over 13 stands - set across a bit of woodland, and then out into a couple of large fields on the farm.Opening stand was I *think* number 11 - pair of simo r/l crossers, nice warm up stand - then we did 12 and 13 which was a high looper sim incoming bird (which I straighted), followed by a rabbit o/r edgy going away bird which needed a bit of quick hands to get out in front of.We then wandered through the woods and tackled a couple of tricky crossers up by the car park, and then onto the platform which was pretty high and had a couple of interesting birds below our feet and at eye level to get you thinking.Then out into the field - again, some interesting presentations - the battue o/r crosser from the target needed some respect and caught a few people out, as did the far end stand with an incoming low flat bird o/r overhead from left to right.  We tackled the two long rang incomers last in the field - from the side they looked scary, but they actually gave you lots of time to set and find - quite enjoyed them.Back into the woods for the incoming bird followed by teal/crow which caught a few people out.We finished up on stands 1 & 2 - up by the car park, facing up hill - the sim pair of midi and standard left to rights which were fun - and the incoming driven followed by right to left crosser.All-in-all, not a bad shoot - bit chilly with a brisk wind up on the hill. Let down a little bit a few no birds, a delay for a trap breakdown - but I don't think anyone went home too depressed.All of our squad had some fun - some good banter - and some respectable scores. I'll let everyone chime in with their numbers - but your admin took an 83ex120, which I was quite pleased with.

Yep, I agree, it was a great day and my first time there too.  Very friendly place. I ended up on 49ex110 (Didn't shoot the tower due to vertigo :( ) Look forward to going again, hopefully when it's warmer :)  Jon. 

I would say that it was a good shoot. Good variety with some testing stuff but nothing stupid. I fell flat on my face in a few places, including a 1 on the two long curling incomers. I think I must have been in front of them, which was a problem I seemed to have a lot all day. (Due to being stiff with cold?). A grim day for me (not Hornets' fault). 88 ex 120. Would have been worse but I finished a bit better than I had been going initially. Straighted the tower. Just got to look forward to next weekend! CSC3

Unless your lovely car has morphed into a DeLorean, Matt, I think you need to inspect the title of this thread /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif

My first time too at this ground. Nice shoot, plenty of variety but a bit chilly on the exposed stands. I thought it was good value, some testing targets but all hittable. I look forward to shooting there again, but maybe I'll wait for warmer weather in the spring. Managed an 86 which I was fairly pleased with.

Shot a 74 ex 120 so 61% a little under my average at the moment, probably could/should have shot better but with Weston in mind afterwards we were trying to be quite brisk. Not one of Kevins finest imho. Saying that this was the first 120 I have shot at hornet and I feel another 2 or 3 stands were required, shooting 100 around that course would have been a decent layout but the extra 20 felt like a bit of a slog. Adding a pair or 2 to each stand just to add percieved value isnt the way forward in my book. Its not like he hasnt got the room for a couple of extra stands, but then you have to pay extra scorers. To sum up save the money from the extra clays, add it to the prize fund, maybe down the classes and put on a top quality 100 bird shoot for £35. That would make it a tougher choice for me and that is why I like Wylye too. 40 odd miles extra over Hornet in my diesel munching truck but a real close call. Fuzrat

One thing not mentioned so far, is that they hadn't updated the CPSA software for the new classifications. I was still listed as B when I have dropped down to C. I think that's a pretty fundamental error IMO.

Very well done Matt & Bob, nice little earner /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

I'm not sure there is money at third place?  I don't see anything on their site... might have to drop them a mail!

Back