Horne CPC - Court Farm - December 18th

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
Took my first trip to Horne this weekend - along with CleverSC3 of this parish.  Cold and crisp morning with plenty of ice on the roads as we made the 40 minute drive round.SG is set on the side of a hill and on arrival it was clear that the topology was encouraging some wind - it was bloody freezing when facing into a breeze. We booted up as it was really muddy - and added extra layers to stay warm, even so - my gun was very cold on my cheek as I took my first shots.The layout is in an L shape, with the first set of stands against a tree line - targets weren't especially exciting, a lot of edgy stuff, quite tricky to pick up against the tree's and in the watery winter sunshine - I really suffered trying to pick up any thing flat, low and edge on yesterday. There were a couple of nice teal stands, which was good practice given my recent problems with teal.  Given the restricted space against the tree-line, it's clear that they play with angles and speed to make the most of the space.Second part of the layout - probably 4 stands goes up the hill - there were a few more rangy targets there as well as an awkward rabbit/battue combination.All-in-all - a fiddly set of targets but nothing unhittable (apart from a very long low crossing midi which looked ridiculous)   - I was six targets above my average with a 64, and was second on c-class when I left (but confident that will not finish there).  It was my first shoot with new glasses and new prescription - so I was pleased that I could see distance targets very well now, but I'm going to have to invest in some glasses with tints to help me with clays against the tree-line or darker backgrounds.I may have been swayed by the cold weather, but the ground will not be one of my favourites -  not much in the way of interesting terrain, not much in the way of facilities, no gun racks.  Catering wagon was pretty good, and the welcome friendly from the staff & scorers - but this feels like a ground I'll only go back to when other options aren't available. Was particularly annoyed to see one shooter just ejecting cartridges out of the cage and OVER his 2/3 year old son that was following him around... none of the scorers saying anything.

It sounds like you went to Court Farm as opposed to Gatton Bottom which is their other more regular set up. Your description is spot on Matt/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif, Horne lack two things, passion and enough traps. Too often throw a single target 8 times which is boring and unimaginative although in fairness it's still hard enough to hit mega high scores there. My personal hate is the going away pairs they never seem to tire of/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif.

Yep - the clue was in the title of the thread - Court Farm it was. Ah yes - the manual trap, g/a pair - dull, although not dull enough that I could straight it... still missed one.

Yes,I wouldn't go there if it was not the only registered, `nearby`, but it provides an option sometimes. Agreed, Gatton Bottom is their better ground. Like most places, it is nicer in the summer.. They have sure decided to make their registered shoots tougher these days. That is `good` but the toughness did sometimes come from `edge-on and tricky to see clearly`, which great grounds like Weston and Newbold never do to you.A fella who had hit 94 at their last open shoot was a bit disgruntled hitting 79 yesterday. Tricky.. CSC3

I wasn't there yesterday Clever in case you meant me/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif. I had a brill session at Greenfields with a handsome 93 if I say so myself/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif which looked good for HG with only Kevin Howlands card to come in, then went and did Abbey's 70 birder. 12 birds down/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif but we did have to shoot in snow and the difference in temperature was unreal, absolutely freezing. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Back