GP letter. Should I worry?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't worry about it but to preserve good relationships with the GP I would reply to his request. He may not be too agreeable next time you need to see him. Ever had prostate trouble?

For reference I had a letter form my GP saying I had to make an appointment for a visit, which I did. I got there and just had to answer questions that was printed on a questionnaire sent by the police. All to do with state of mind! I could have told him anything.. a complete waste of time and £20 light.

I got home and had not checked my post that day. As I sifted through the post guess what was there... My cert!!! Didn't need to go at all as I had already received my certificate before my appointment with the doctor.

A good friend of mine who looked at this in depth found out it is not compulsory to attend, if the police do not receive a response from the doc within a certain time period they assume everything is OK and issue the cert anyway.

Just for reference.

I was informed by other shooters at work that a typical fast one is when the doctor wants to charge you for the letter, but you politely remind them it's not you that requested the information (albeit it is ultimately for your benefit). Worked in my case as well, although if I wanted to actually see the letter they send then that can be charged,... as daft as it seems to pay a pony to hit print again!

. if my Gp had to write a letter, it would be a bloody bestseller with the recent injurys / illness ive had.

i got stung by my doctor last month with my renewal...... i got a letter asking me to pay £25 for them to release my medical info to the police which i payed...... when the FEO came to do the interview she told me I shouldn't have payed it because the doctor is just trying it on.

the annoying bit about it is that it wont even be the £100k per year doctor sending the information, it'll be the minimum wage receptionist and its not like the have to go rifling through filing cabinets to find it ....... it will be a single file on a computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
These letters are really the “try on “ of all  “ try ons “ .  The one I recently received from my GP demanded £60 . The letter ended with something like “ if we don’t hear from you in 14 days we will assume you have withdrawn your application for a firearms certificate “ .  Their letter was crafted to look like non payment would cancel my application . 

I  phoned them and asked them to read the Police letter to me . Thst letter ended with something like “ if we don’t hear from you in 21 days we shall assume that there are no relevant medical issues “  . I pointed out to the medical secretary  that on the basis of the police letter I’d be silly to pay them the £60 . 

This was confirmed by the FEO at West Yorks Police , he said don’t pay them  for the preliminary report .  I told the Practice that they wouldn’t be getting a cheque , and she still didn’t get it . 🤡

My renewal isn’t until 19th January , but I’m not anticipating any issues . 

I think you will be fine, I've had 5 heart attacks and been treated for depression! this was over six years ago, it cost me £30 for a Doctors Medical note but I was Granted a SGC, I think its how you come across with the FEO in your interview, good luck, John. 

Just going through my first renewal. Had depression well before my first application and declared that on my first application. No problem.

Filled in the forms, declared the incident some 10 years ago and now am having to get another declaration from the doctor.

Surely if the doctor has a duty to notify if anything happens that makes me unfit, as there is already a marker on my records, then they already know by default that I'm OK.

Am I going to have this bollocks every 5 years?

I am just going through first renewal too, just had invoice for doctor's letter as required now by Cheshire police.

Extra £100 bill I could have done without

Don't know if this will happen every renewal as doctor should flag up anything untoward which would affect my ability to hold a sgc as an ongoing thing ?

Please see my post above , phone your FEO and ask what the position is from their point of view if you refuse to pay for the first letter  .  If you are in BASC or CPSA Phone their helpline .  

For a declared condition on the application  , such as depression ,  the police are entitled to ask for a second letter from the Doc , and yes you have to pay the Doctor.   Whether they request this check  on every renewal with a declared condition ,  is down to the individual force and the applicants history and  the actual condition . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just going through my first renewal. Had depression well before my first application and declared that on my first application. No problem.

Filled in the forms, declared the incident some 10 years ago and now am having to get another declaration from the doctor.

Surely if the doctor has a duty to notify if anything happens that makes me unfit, as there is already a marker on my records, then they already know by default that I'm OK.

Am I going to have this bollocks every 5 years?
You should've stayed in Sussex Old Chap! :D

It would appear that nobody has to date,  had the spherical's to actually contest one of these requests,  by whichever Police Force,  for a GP's letter. I have recently renewed my SGC and was not asked by the local FEO for anything medical at all. However,  I now believe Merseyside is requesting a GP's letter.  My local FEO has now retired and it looks as though he will not be replaced. As the FEO's become fewer and fewer, it would be well suited to blame the delay in your grant or renewal, upon the time it is taking your GP to respond to any requests by the Firearms Departments. I am still at a loss as to where, in the Firearms Act, it states the need for any GP 's letter as a matter of course. Even if your GP states that you are of sound mind and body TODAY, what about TOMORROW  ?    Still, I suppose it is convenient to say after an event, his GP said he was OK when we granted/renewed his Certificate, accompanied by much hand wringing  !  

The objective of the first letter from the Police.  to the GP  , is a) to ensure that the GP puts a “firearms marker” on your  medical records . 

b) is giving the GP the chance to either notify the FEO of any issues . Certainly the West Yorks letter tells them that if they don’t reply to the FEO inside 21 days then the assumption is you are fine . 

You will only know if the Doc has had a letter , if and when he decides to try to extort some cash directly  from you . That was never the intent , and fair play to W.Yorks , they don’t expect you to pay the silly demands .  

Once the “Firearms Marker” is on you records the medics are supposed to tell the Police if a new condition causing concern arises during the life of the certificate , say mental illness , for example . Prior to the new system , the GP would not have known you owned a firearm . 

I did get in touch with cpsa regarding this and was told that it was up to the relevant police force to decide what was required and they recommended that I pay up. Have spoken to Cheshire firearms Dept. and they were quite adamant that my renewal would not be actioned without the medical letter so no option but to comply. 

As I understand it part of this process is to add a flag to your medical record to indicate you are a sgc holder and if there is any future change In your medical status which would suggest that you should not be in possession of such a weapon then they would notify the relevant police force who would presumably remove your guns from you and rescind your certificate. Should that not mean that this letter should be a one off event and not required at every renewal ?

I accept that Martyn and I do not have an issue with that,  BUT,  some Forces are now insisting the applicant obtain a letter from their GP,   at the applicants cost,  BEFORE they will even consider their application.  This is what I am questioning, WHY  ?  Some Forces, obviously West Yorks is one of them, are happy to process the application without any such letter,  for now  !

Some Chief Cons. seem to be moving the goalposts on this 'letter from your GP'  business and I am questioning where they get their powers from,  to make such a request.  A notification from the relevant Force to your GP is all that is required for them to 'Flag' your medical records, so WHY do they also need a letter from your GP,  provided by you,  at your expense,  to accompany your application   ? 

Back