Disappointed with my fellow shooters.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better not mention my auto then   ??

Mind you I do pick up the empty cases within the stand, both BEFORE and after I shoot.

Easy solution just ban all auto's from clay shoots! no more empties ejected all over the place, and no more waiting for someone holding up the proceedings fixing jams and on the spot mechanical repairs, whilst people with proper shotguns twiddle their thumbs!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Hamid, but it’s matter of degree as you say. We all drop the odd cartridge case that misses the bin or whatever (I usually pick it up but not always). What annoys me is the blatant spit them over the shoulder shooters. Usually it’s just because they are not regular competition shots I find. The best example I saw was a lady who caught them in her hand, then threw them back over her shoulder! The bin was right in front of her. 
I remember one of my first shoots at Widdington. Guy before me in the stand with an O/U ejected straight into the face of the ref. I thought ok we’ve all done it by accident but he then did the same thing for all 4 pairs. Ref said nothing. Guy hit all 8 and I looked at his card and was AA. If that was me reffing, after the 2nd time I would be saying do that again and I’ll be marking loss loss.

I remember one of my first shoots at Widdington. Guy before me in the stand with an O/U ejected straight into the face of the ref. I thought ok we’ve all done it by accident but he then did the same thing for all 4 pairs. Ref said nothing. Guy hit all 8 and I looked at his card and was AA. If that was me reffing, after the 2nd time I would be saying do that again and I’ll be marking loss loss.
Most refs would just move because it's not worth the inevitable argument. I work on the principle that just because someone's AA it doesn't mean they won't act like a pillock.

I've ref-ed quite a lot of shoots over the last 7 years and I've always had to pick up a empties - it's just part of the job.  Sometimes it's a catching fail or clean miss of the bin and of course autos are more common these days too. It can even be because the bin's getting full and they bounce out again but in my experience it's very rarely just bad manners or ignorance. What does amaze me though is the number of empty shell boxes left around. Sometimes carefully folded and wedged in the crook of a bush or stuffed under the brambles.

Most refs would just move because it's not worth the inevitable argument. I work on the principle that just because someone's AA it doesn't mean they won't act like a pillock.

I've ref-ed quite a lot of shoots over the last 7 years and I've always had to pick up a empties - it's just part of the job.  Sometimes it's a catching fail or clean miss of the bin and of course autos are more common these days too. It can even be because the bin's getting full and they bounce out again but in my experience it's very rarely just bad manners or ignorance. What does amaze me though is the number of empty shell boxes left around. Sometimes carefully folded and wedged in the crook of a bush or stuffed under the brambles.
Well THIS REF, certainly would not move, but I would politely explain that IF I was forced to move to avoid his empties, I may not still have a clear view of the targets. I would leave it up to him to decide  !

I find that if sufficient bins are located around the car parks at shoots, people will use them. If it involves a walk of several yards, or more, there is a problem.  I usually carry my empty boxes to the first stand and put them in the bin there.

Well THIS REF, certainly would not move, but I would politely explain that IF I was forced to move to avoid his empties, I may not still have a clear view of the targets. I would leave it up to him to decide  !
It's been my experience over a longish life that confrontation rarely solves anything and usually leads to escalation. I don't want my day spoiled by a row and I don't want complaints about me to the management either.

There are plugheads everywhere and AFAIK life's too short to try and educate pork.

I'm afraid the 'lowest common denominator' approach doesn't work with me. I detest litter and clay shooters not using bins does annoy me. Game shots not collecting their empties does the same.

I'm also a keen fisherman and coarse fishing has a major littering problem. But it can be solved by sensible rules and good bailiffs. Some clubs have a rule that anglers are responsible for any litter found in their peg -  so there we carry bags and pick up any litter before we start fishing. 

I also run a small coarse fishery and once banned a whole party (cost me over a grand in future bookings) because I caught one of them stuffing a carrier bag full of litter under a bush....   

Easy solution just ban all auto's from clay shoots! no more empties ejected all over the place, and no more waiting for someone holding up the proceedings fixing jams and on the spot mechanical repairs, whilst people with proper shotguns twiddle their thumbs!
There are plenty of O/U users who leave empty's around not just the Semi-Auto users. Am not currently an owner of a Semi-Auto but i always clear up after using one.

So how much are you prepared to pay for your clay shooting? Having Bailiffs and litter police costs money and would also probably piss off the customers when the reality is that the litter is usually confined to a small area and takes 2 minutes or less to clear up at the end of the shoot.

I'm not defending bad manners here and yes, I too detest litter. I was brought up to take litter home and always leave places I visit as I found them, but then my generation was raised to have standards - unlike a sizeable percentage of later generations.

Latest posts

Back