Beretta or Browning, interested.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael

With the wife at Wallers ash yesterday. All going well untill last couple of stands. So she is about to straight stand 6 simo pair, kill, misfire. I said whats up woman you gotta let go of the trigger, got a cold stare. Stand 2 shot out of order, more misfires on last 2 pairs. I took the gun to an empty stand bunged in 2 Hull superfast, bang bang no problem, tried 2 more second barrel didnt fire. Waited a bit opened gun definate firing pin impression on second cartridge. Changed to Compex for remainder of shoot, gun perfect as usual. The gun is a 2 year old silver pigeon bought new by us. Can anybody offer a conclusive opinion on this please.

If it fired an alternative cartridge (Comp X) without issue , you would have to suspect an issue with the Hull Superfast. This may be as simple as a hard primer or more likely a low seated primer. Alternatively it could be , but highly unlikely an eroded firing pin nose in the Beretta. Visually inspect the nose of the firing pin for pitting or visible damage.  I would have to say it would be highly unusual to find an issue with a two year old Beretta. Without seeing the gun an inspecting it myself it is hard to be more definitive. If the issue persists take it to a good gunsmith . 

Here we go then,  15th wedding anniversery today. Went shooting of course, wife also. For the last few weeks a guy we know keeps offering me a go with his Browning, I have a mint 32 inch silver pigeon. I finally shouldered the 525 I think it was, it was very comfortable, but I turned down his offer of a try out.

Afterwards over tea & coffee, my wife points out to me a very attractive Browning 725 on the rack in the shop, would you like to try it she asks, can't do any harm. Tried a box of cartridges through it hit some liked it, did a deal for the Browning against my silver pig. That took all of 35 mins up to the handshake, paperwork took longer.

I reckon where I shoot 8 out of 10 guns are Beretta,  I like Berettas but I can be impulsive, hence I now have a Browning, it's 30 inch by the way.  What's the general feeling out there concerning these guns relative merits, I felt the comb height of the Browning suited my way of shooting. I'm not after which is best, it's different things to different  shooters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I presume the firing pins and trigger unit are free from rust and have been lubricated?

Last edited by a moderator:
You have answered your own question - Its what suits 'YOU' the best.

If it fired an alternative cartridge (Comp X) without issue , you would have to suspect an issue with the Hull Superfast. This may be as simple as a hard primer or more likely a low seated primer. Alternatively it could be , but highly unlikely an eroded firing pin nose in the Beretta. Visually inspect the nose of the firing pin for pitting or visible damage.  I would have to say it would be highly unusual to find an issue with a two year old Beretta. Without seeing the gun an inspecting it myself it is hard to be more definitive. If the issue persists take it to a good gunsmith . 
Spot on advice, I've never ever changed a Beretta firing pin in like a billion years. 

I like Berettas, my husband likes Brownings.  I'm short and dumpy, he's 6'4 with a longish neck.  It's all down to what you feel fits and what you're comfortable with.

I'm confused now (doesn't take a lot i here you cry) 

Which is it - Non firing OR New gun?

I have shot about 25,000 Rios without a single misfire / fail to fire. It took me a few hundred Hull to get one..

I rather like the 725, but as has been said, they are both good guns and its all down to what suits you. Personally, I'd have picked the Browning over the Beretta too, but that's just me. 

I have shot about 25,000 Rios without a single misfire / fail to fire. It took me a few hundred Hull to get one..
Likewise, 3 of my mates and I all shoot Superfasts and have got through a good 10,000 over the past months without a single misfire. 

Why are my replies being merged!?!

I'm confused now (doesn't take a lot i here you cry) 

Which is it - Non firing OR New gun?
sorry Battue, it's a bit of both. I can in a knot with new post and asked admin for help. They have put the 2 together. Latest post is new gun stuff. Forgive me cos i is old, well, over 60 anyway.

For me the Brownings and Miroku just come up nice, I had a silver pigeon but justr didnt gel with it and I havent looked back once. AM confident I could tell the diference picking on up blind folded now !

ATB

Matt

Back