A much required return to the sport in a new location

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jham

Hello all,

My names is Jason, I'm 27, and I have just joined the forum today.

As the title suggests I have been out of regular shoots for 2 and a half years.....due to starting a new job and moving to London.

Previously I have been shooting every 2 weeks on a Sunday for a year and a half at a private shoot in Suffolk.

What I would love to do, and this is where I would like to tap into the vast experience and knowledge on this forum, is to find/join a shooting club near to my location (I am able to drive to locations) A shoot every two weeks on a weekend day would be ideal.

I now live in London Zone 2 near London Bridge, I noticed that my nearest place to shoot would be Dartford, but I'm looking for more of a private/syndicate organised club.

I look forward to hearing from everyone and getting to know the community.

Brixton's not too far away and they have regular shoots there !!

I'll get my coat

DT

Edit: Oh and welcome on board :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would echo Bebo.  It's absolutely brilliant there.  The bloke that runs it is devilishly handsome and charming too. 

Unfortunately we are right down on the south coast near Hastings, but you'd be more than welcome to join us on any of our shoot sundays.

That sounds great Bebo and woody, unfortunately that would be 1hr45min drive each way. What is your sunday shoot format? Do you have a league table and class rankings?

A small to medium straw baler type club is exactly what I am looking for, for me it's also all about a good group of people.

Also, If there is a better section of the forum to post about this, please let me know :)

The bloke that runs it is devilishly handsome and charming too. 
Shame he isn't modest as well...

Jham, have a look at the Facebook page link, that'll give you an idea of what it's like.  50 bird shoot every other Sunday, 10am start split into two squads at the moment.  No classifications, but there is an competition that runs throughout the year with your best 10 results totted up and a shield for the best total.  We're also in the Kent and Sussex Clubman League this year and we have the occassional away day shooting at other places.

If you have a quick Google of straw bale shoots in Surrey, there seem to be a few.  Star Gun Club near Leatherhead looks to be a lot closer to you.  Can't say what it's like as I've never visited.

I will have a look tonight when I'm home from work.

That shoot sounds good, I may have to come down for a couple even if I find somewhere else.

Yeah I had a bit of a look on google before I joined the forums and came up with Star Gun Club. Wonder if any of the members are on here.

I will have a look tonight when I'm home from work.

That shoot sounds good, I may have to come down for a couple even if I find somewhere else.

Yeah I had a bit of a look on google before I joined the forums and came up with Star Gun Club. Wonder if any of the members are on here.
I have been twice but I am not a member.  It's a friendly place and they have a selection of stands.  Best to go with someone or join in with someone as you need to be able to have someone button for you as you shoot - I am sure a group would be happy to have you join them.  I enjoyed myself although I must say that I am used to competition shooting now at some extraordinary grounds and so I couldn't just go to a club like that as I would soon find myself craving more.  In the old days I am told by my husband that it used to be extremely popular when they put one or two shoots on a  year and invited the public to shoot.  Its different now you can just go even if you are not a member.  Anyway worth a visit I think.

I have been twice but I am not a member.  It's a friendly place and they have a selection of stands.  Best to go with someone or join in with someone as you need to be able to have someone button for you as you shoot - I am sure a group would be happy to have you join them.  I enjoyed myself although I must say that I am used to competition shooting now at some extraordinary grounds and so I couldn't just go to a club like that as I would soon find myself craving more.  In the old days I am told by my husband that it used to be extremely popular when they put one or two shoots on a  year and invited the public to shoot.  Its different now you can just go even if you are not a member.  Anyway worth a visit I think.
Thanks for the advice.

At the moment I would be happy with either a straw bale shoot or a syndicate of people that regularly go to a shooting ground. I just want to get my feet back in the door in this new area. I have clay cravings :)

clay cravings.....thats fatal my friend.

welcome to the forum ?

Back