1st Compak

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centrepin

Tried Compak today first time, 2 levels, hard and harder. 

Enjoyed it, 12 first go, without seeing any birds first or watching anyone else. Tried the harder one, now that was a test, midis, very high, very fast, 10 shots, 10 misses. Pointless throwing lead away as I couldn't work out why I missed so learning nothing. Moved on. Not downhearted just know I need to up my game a little first. Try again another day.

Compact is great fun, but give yourself a chance, and watch a round first. 
There was no one on compak all day, so I thought I'd have a go. Maybe it's not popular at Pinewood but all the other stands had queues except that. If I had been learning from my experience rather than "playing" I might have had a few more rounds. I couldn't work out my misses so went back to sporting. For me it's all about knowing why I miss so I can improve.

There was no one on compak all day, so I thought I'd have a go. Maybe it's not popular at Pinewood but all the other stands had queues except that. If I had been learning from my experience rather than "playing" I might have had a few more rounds. I couldn't work out my misses so went back to sporting. For me it's all about knowing why I miss so I can improve.
I have shot the compack at Pinewood before in Lincolnshire, if this is the same one.

If so the easy round is usually pretty straight forward once you get your head around where they are coming from and which bird is which, bit can take some getting used to.

The hard round is very tough, a lot of the top local shots use it to practise for fitasc competitions. The two birds from the cherry picker can want very big gaps, I can often see up to 8 foot. The no 3 which is usually a looper always wants a big gap, 15 foot last time I was there. 4 is usually a fast crosser that can want a decent gap and 5 is usually fast and quartering away that still needs respect. A lot of people shoot this with full use of gun and try to master 1 bird at a time. Picking out a spot where the bird appears from is crucial, if your struggling have a word with Alan behind the counter and he will have a look at you. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes same place.

I was giving up to 5 foot on the cherry picker, obviously way under now you say that. I started with about a barrel and worked up to 5 foot. Maybe I should have kept going. Hard when you can't see the shot and there's no result.

It was easier for me on sporting as I could stand back, watch the clays and the shooters and get a bit of idea.

With no one shooting on compak it was difficult to get right. I even went in to ask if it was open as there was just no one wanting to shoot it.

I'm taking instruction in the new year, so hopefully will get some ideas of my misses from a pro.

Alan's always happy to see me as I rarely fire less than a slab and sometimes two. I tend to make a day of it. Coffee and turkey sandwiches yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes same place.

I was giving up to 5 foot on the cherry picker, obviously way under now you say that. I started with about a barrel and worked up to 5 foot. Maybe I should have kept going. Hard when you can't see the shot and there's no result.

It was easier for me on sporting as I could stand back, watch the clays and the shooters and get a bit of idea.

With no one shooting on compak it was difficult to get right. I even went in to ask if it was open as there was just no one wanting to shoot it.

I'm taking instruction in the new year, so hopefully will get some ideas of my misses from a pro.

Alan's always happy to see me as I rarely fire less than a slab and sometimes two. I tend to make a day of it. Coffee and turkey sandwiches yesterday.
The cherry picker usually wants a good gap they are a fair distance off and we'll wound up, you could easily need a bigger gap, maybe even double on the no 2 bird. Line can also be very critical very easy to shoot over or under them depending on where you shoot them. 

Latest posts

Back