Lost my mojo

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K80 TCG

I know everyone goes through peaks and troughs in this game.

How do you pull yourself out of a trough, I have had a real dip in form of late (20-30%) and took a break for a couple of weeks, hoping that I could dump my demons.

It's not quite worked as yet....I have lost my mojo, if anyone finds it could they return it to the rightful owner.

Having a practice session has help along with a lesson, but this is not transferring to registered shoots yet.

any tips?

austin.jpg

Keep at it Tom, go and shoot with some friends, have a laugh, don't score and go to the pub after for lunch and a beer, remember why you shoot in the first place....because it's fun...

Oh if only I could practice what I preach....but you WILL get through it I promise...and I always keep my promises...x

I know everyone goes through peaks and troughs in this game.

How do you pull yourself out of a trough, I have had a real dip in form of late (20-30%) and took a break for a couple of weeks, hoping that I could dump my demons.

It's not quite worked as yet....I have lost my mojo, if anyone finds it could they return it to the rightful owner.

Having a practice session has help along with a lesson, but this is not transferring to registered shoots yet.

any tips?
Wish I could give you the answers! You had some great moments on Thursday so remember those and keep practicing. (Think my mojo was somewhere with yours and maybe they'll come back soon)  :p

I'm on the opposite side of the fence to Jaykay. Don't shoot with friends. Be selfish,be focused and shoot for yourself. The fun comes at the end when you look at a decent score card and reflect. You're on the course to do a job. Do you look at a score in the 50's and say to yourself "So what. I really enjoyed that,who cares"? Nope. The enjoyment is the success.

When I shoot I'm deadly serious about it,it's the only way to improve. If I do shoot with others I make sure they're of the same mindset as me,or I try not to talk to them. I don't go shooting to make friends...but,as a result of that I have made some good friends with like minded people.

I understand that some people do shoot for fun and aren't bothered about scores,good for them. Each to their own.

I'm on the opposite side of the fence to Jaykay. Don't shoot with friends. Be selfish,be focused and shoot for yourself. The fun comes at the end when you look at a decent score card and reflect. You're on the course to do a job. Do you look at a score in the 50's and say to yourself "So what. I really enjoyed that,who cares"? Nope. The enjoyment is the success.

When I shoot I'm deadly serious about it,it's the only way to improve. If I do shoot with others I make sure they're of the same mindset as me,or I try not to talk to them. I don't go shooting to make friends...but,as a result of that I have made some good friends with like minded people.

I understand that some people do shoot for fun and aren't bothered about scores,good for them. Each to their own.
Have you been shooting long ?

My version of it is to go and shoot a non reg shoot. Take it seriously, analyse what I am doing, but there is no real pressure about the score. Usually a non reg shoot is a bit easier which builds confidence too.

Maybe try both approaches, Tom.  Go and have some fun and don't worry about the score, then try Wayne's approach.  Being serious about the job in hand doesn't mean you can't relax and enjoy it, but as Wayne says, the best part is looking at a good score at the end! 

If it makes you feel any better, there are lots of people out there who have dips in form.  Some shoot more to work through it, some take a couple weeks off and come back fresh and hungry.

Try various things, including a straw baler or two, you'll get there in the end!

Trouble with doing non reg,no pressure etc is you're creating a false environment to competition. To get better at registered shooting,shoot registered events,be serious about your practice/training. This is obviously just the way I see it,not trying to get in a debate about what is best. This is what works for me.

I think you have a point there Wayne, the last four shoots, have been squaded and my mate came with me.

When I was doing well, went round on my own.

Trouble with doing non reg,no pressure etc is you're creating a false environment to competition. To get better at registered shooting,shoot registered events,be serious about your practice/training. This is obviously just the way I see it,not trying to get in a debate about what is best. This is what works for me.
Sure, know your own head. If I am a bit off I plod through reg shoots. A couple of times I have been a quivering wreck (well nearly) in which case I needed to chill a bit. Practice doesn't help as it is not important enough, but an open shoot was 'just right'. If it goes well then you still have the class places to aim for, but if its bad nobody publishes your score. :)

As Wayne says no right or wrong...I am the most competitive person I know and always want to be the best I can at everything...I don't really do fun...but if things ain't working you gotta try something different.

I track my scores, I have regular lessons, I have targets and even a spreadsheet with a graph showing my improvement, I try and have a sweepstake every time we shoot taking into account our handicaps so I can win!! My friends know how important it is to me to win believe me....

Tom the key thing is you can hopefully tell from this thread you have got lots of friends who will help out whatever approach you take and they will all be delighted with you when you get through it...

Well unless you beat me that is...and then I will be starting a similar thread....

We are all different in approaches to form, and how we deal with highs and lows, I can see why people almost get consumed in analysing and over analysing what there doing, and how they are doing it, are a particular type of target difficult, does the guy ( or girl) in front have irritating little habits before they shoot, ( does a 415 mile round trip to kent, and miss the first target out, make you angry with yourself)

I try to remember, the only person who can beat me, is.... Me.

Try and enjoy it, relax, I'm sure your mojo will find you.

Shoot with people who are better than you....it helps you pick up tips by watching how they address and shoot targets.

I support Aspire's view 100% for competition....and whoever asked him about length of time shooting......he is doing just fine ....great approach and great scores coming in.

Most of all you have to enjoy your shooting and try to learn from mistakes...then forget them.

One target at a time...and you cannot go around the shoot thinking of those you have missed.

+1

Definitely shoot with people who are at a higher level than yourself, I would also suggest removing any unrealisic goals for a while, let yourself shoot with no pressure or expectation in relation to your score, what you are suffering from is a lack of confidence and the harder you try to push through it, sometimes the worse its gets. Try and get to a different ground even if its for a practice round, new environment and targets will change your focus from your score/performance to shooting new targets

Gil Ash adresses this problem in his books " If It Ain't Broke Fix It " and " You Gotta Be Out of Your Mind". Not everyone will agree with all he says but this would be a good place to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the middle of teh above comments, but some of that is down to my in-experience possibly.

I shoot registered comps, and shoot them seriously with others who are all better than me, and who are slowly dragging me upwards with word of advice.

But like yesterday, I went and shot a non registered shoot on my own and had a thoroughly enjoyable time and managed to hit a decent score for me.

Maybe you just need to change the habbits you have got into, and/or the people whom you shoot with. I know that there are 3 individuals who when they arrive to shoot and join the group I will shoot poorly.

Just keep trying and trying hard, am sure the light at the end of teh tunnel is on for you

When I go out in a group shooting I'm not overly chatty.
I'm often seen wondering off to the next stand alone.
I like to work things out in my own mind referring to what I know helps me.

I take criticism hard from anyone else bar a couple of people who know me and my shooting.

When I was in Spain shooting Fitasc I politely asked the squad not to comment on my shooting at all at the beginning of the competition.
Regardless of who they were.
I find it disruptive.
I can pull myself out of a situation shooting or not.

Back