Stiffness following a shoot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santa2512

Any ideas for reducing general stiffness  following  a shoot?

I did 125 birds at owls yesterday,  mixed bag   sporting skeet  dtl

Today my lower back is stiff ;)   

weather was cool to cold. and i was nicely insulated 

didnt seem to twist or move more than normal, 

Im putting it down to just not moving as much as i should

Any tips for reducing the effects  in future

Mart

Hi Mart

Depends largely on a few factors, ie weight, stance, shooting style etc

My tip would be to do certain stretch exercises BEFORE and AFTER the shoot, Nicky on here will be able to tell you which ones work best

Any ideas for reducing general stiffness following a shoot?

I did 125 birds at owls yesterday, mixed bag sporting skeet dtl

Today my lower back is stiff ;)

weather was cool to cold. and i was nicely insulated

didnt seem to twist or move more than normal,

Im putting it down to just not moving as much as i should

Any tips for reducing the effects in future

Mart
Hi mart,

Any previous injuries to your lower back? Have you experienced this pain previously after shooting?

Feel free to PM me if you do not wish to discuss on open forum.

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Injuries to my lower back   :sarcastic:     indeed....  30 odd years ago i pulled my back moving a car ...   I know the signs, and have stretching excersises  to cope..  Luckily roccureances are few and far between now,

No Pain from previous shoots,    i think what did it, was the high tower driven bird,

It was a quick move from  45degrees to just past vertical to get a fast high bird (cold day wrapped in lots of layers .)

And i should have limbered up first ...

no effects today   I think it was moving muscles that hadnt been used for some time ...

I can get my Physio  to have a manipulate on Thursday

Interstingly enough, for some reason, id stiffened up all over as ive been having Physio for about 4 months now  and last week, all my old symptoms were back.

My physio commented on it and spent a good 20 minutes just working muscle groups in my neck / shoulders

Mart

Hi Mart,

If you are seeing a Physio, I won't tread on their toes. Have a word with the Physio and ask for any exercises you can do prior to shooting. Your Physio is best placed to give these as they are already treating you, however dynamic stretches for your back prior to shooting should help...

Cheers,

Nick

Actually I've been suffering with lower back pains lately shooting high tower birds , getting ready for the game season, also my shoulder gets quite sore after 100+

Yes ..bad motorbike accident 10 yrs ago , shoot rifle comps so no bother there , it's started just recently since I've been hammering the clays , probably alittle to much ? I also think its my shooting stance leaning back to hit the high ones!

I'm pretty beat up from years of falling off bikes.  Two spine surgeries.

I use a cheapo wide elastic sort of back brace when the weather cools.  The support is secondary as the real intent is the additional warmth the thing provides directly to the small of my back w/out having to deal with some overall maybe cumbersome insulation.

Shot twice over the weekend ...   50 clays friday  skeet & sporting   & 50 clays on sunday,  sporting

Some stiffness, but i think its mainly due to moving through arcs and ranges of movement i'm  not used to moving through .

mentioned it to the Physio last week  nothing done, as she's still working on the upper neck.

Still not got to work on the C4/5 yet, 8 months on and its still  very sensitive to being  manipulated :(

Mart

Shot twice over the weekend ... 50 clays friday skeet & sporting & 50 clays on sunday, sporting

Some stiffness, but i think its mainly due to moving through arcs and ranges of movement i'm not used to moving through .

mentioned it to the Physio last week nothing done, as she's still working on the upper neck.

Still not got to work on the C4/5 yet, 8 months on and its still very sensitive to being manipulated :(

Mart
surely she could give you some stretches to do for your lower back?? Is she a private or NHS Physio?

Private :) ,  i allready have stretches for my lower back due to my earlier lowerback injury
did you do them before or after you went shooting? To be honest, static stretches (stretch and hold) need to be for a good 20-30 secs to be effective. Static stretches are only really any good for lengthening the muscles and not for warming up prior to exercise/activity. Dynamic stretches are what you need to do just before exercise/activity to prepare the muscles for the activity. They should be specific to the activity that is planned.... Well, this is the latest research anyway.

Actually I've been suffering with lower back pains lately shooting high tower birds , getting ready for the game season, also my shoulder gets quite sore after 100+
1. Green pad needed. Don't suffer.

2. Shoot driven earlier and not when they are directly overhead......if you want to save your back....trust me....

3. Any chance of seeing the legs?

i had a bicep tendonesis in jan 2013 on my shooting shoulder and stilll suffer pain, im using 21 g cartridges any advice, or has anyone had a  similar operation

dave

Back