Welcome to ShootClay Forum

Welcome to ShootClay Forum!

Join us at ShootClay - and enjoy blogs, galleries, our events calendar and our legendary forums - you can chat to top shots, and learn from the experts. All it takes to join is an email address, we'll keep it safe, never share it and we won't send you any spam.

Listings in our calendar for shooting grounds are 100% free - just join up and contact the admins - we'll get you sorted out.

What are you waiting for? Jump in! Any questions - please contact admin@shootclayforum.com
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo

Best type of skeet gun ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tinker bell

Tinker bell

Nicola

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,909 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:57 AM

:P As I like living life on the edge...... I go for Perazzi MX8 trap 3/4 and full 30 incher [*]Boy it mashes them when you hit it them.I prefer to use 7.1/2's as well :P :P What do you use?????????

#2 JonSkeetAdmin

JonSkeetAdmin

Master Clay Breaker

• 1,163 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

Hi Nic,It certainly made a mess of them, no magic pellet chippy breaks :)Generally for ESKSKD & NSSA most people are using 28 or 30" Multi choke guns with SKT&SKT or SKT&14, or 2820" auto's with SKT the level of choke constriction varies between manufacturers, a Beretta SKT choke is.009" which is tighter than most others.For OSK most favour 26" with SKT&SKT and the 30 and 32's are too heavy for the fast direction changes needed.Gun wise I'm shooting Skeet with either of my Beretta 30" auto's which are set up identically.I have a Beretta AL391 Urika Teknys Stonecoat and a Beretta AL391 Urika Teknys Stonecoat Gold. My plan is to change to either a 30" or 32" Kriegoff K80 Pro-Rib Sporter with .410 (68 ga), 20ga and 28ga companion tubes so I can shoot all the gauges at NSSA. I like the Kolar Arms guns but virtually impossible to get in the UK :(Jon.

#3 Robo

Robo

Master Clay Breaker

• 832 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:51 PM

I havent had a chance to shoot Skeet as of yet, my current gun is a Gold E 32" (33" with ext chokes ) will it be a disadvantage shooting with long barrels ? Ive always thought that most skeet shots prefer shorter barrels ie 26" ?Would really like to have a go at Skeet one day Rob

#4 JonSkeetAdmin

JonSkeetAdmin

Master Clay Breaker

• 1,163 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

Hi Robo, For English Skeet, Doubles and NSSA you would be absolutely fine but for Olympic skeet they will be way too long. The trend did used to be for shorter barrels (26") in English Skeet but it's now very unusual to see anyone shooting with them, most of the people I shoot with are using 3032", my AL391 is 30" but equivalent to a 32" OU then as with you I have an extended choke. If you try the home versions first you will have no problems, I wouldn't try Olympic for a first go at skeet ;) Jon.

#5 Tinker bell

Tinker bell

Nicola

• 10,909 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

Robo, as you are Hants can you get to Bisley easily? I am sure if you can that both Jon and myself will give you a run round skeet. Jon is the expert and can tell you all about it, and I will come along as another one who can miss so you will feel at home /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif The autumn / winter months is ideal to play on other disciplines that differ to your normal one.

#6 Robo

Robo

Master Clay Breaker

• 832 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:13 PM

Cheers for the info Jon

#7 ShootClay Admin

ShootClay Admin

ShootClay Admin

• 6,369 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:18 PM

When I'm back from the US - I deffo want a Skeet meet-up (a skeet-up? You can have that for free on your skeet forum Jon)

#8 Robo

Robo

Master Clay Breaker

• 832 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:20 PM

Hi Nicola, Yes Bisley is on my list to shoot at some point and it would be great to have a go at this discipline with someone who knows what they are doing.Im sure I would get confused and miss a few /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif Rob

#9 Robo

Robo

Master Clay Breaker

• 832 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

shootclay admin said:

When I'm back from the US - I deffo want a Skeet meet-up (a skeet-up? You can have that for free on your skeet forum Jon)

I would be up for a Skeet meet Matt.. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif Rob

#10 tobi-wan

tobi-wan

Master Clay Breaker

• 1,477 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:29 PM

Same here. Not had a go a skeet for yonks. Keep us all posted in the meet-ups. IIRC there's skeet doubles next month at NCSC. doesn't have to be that one, normal skeet will do, just not OS!

#11 JollyRodger

JollyRodger

.410 Clay Breaker

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Not really a skeet shooter but do some in summer on Tuesday nights at local ground - I was asked to make up numbers and shoot for my county in 1998 and managed 98x100 - came overall 25th or something - Always use a semi with 1/2 choke and 7 1/2's- put in a few 25's - also used semi trap gun with fixed full but only managed 23 - I don't think I could become a dedicated skeet shooter but like doing a bit now and then.

Jolly

#12 tobi-wan

tobi-wan

Master Clay Breaker

• 1,477 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

98/100 is a decent score chap! Surprised you were as low as 25th

#13 JonSkeetAdmin

JonSkeetAdmin

Master Clay Breaker

• 1,163 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

98/100 is a decent score chap! Surprised you were as low as 25th

Indeed it is!! a very good score :)

Toby, just added a new topic for a have a go day and introduction :)

Hope we get some interest.

Jon.

#14 Les Graham

Les Graham

12G Clay Breaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

I shoot everything clay with my trusty old Baikal, cos that's all I've got. I do have a Hatsan semi but I only use that on the pigeons.

#15 chippy

chippy

Master Clay Breaker

• 845 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

Its probably not the best skeet gun but the one i have shot my best score 99 with is a zabala sxs 27 1/2" barrel single trigger.cost £325 new.

chippy