Tennis/Golfers Elbow

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzrat

Guys, Lately I have been getting some pain in my right elbow/forearm after shooting (right handed shooter). Looking on tinternet it seems to point to tennis, or probably more accurately, golfers elbow. Pain is on the ground side of the elbow when held in shooting position.

Apparently this is caused by gripping for a long period of time. Before you lot start telling me to loosen the grip and stop playing with myself so much I have found these www.banditelbowbrace.com

Seem to have some decent reviews.

Does anyone else suffer from this? Has anyone tried these supports and how do you rate them? if not the ones in the link, elbow/forearm support in general

Ta Muchly  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i have had lots of tennis elbow problems and although ive not seen anyone about it seems to go better with rest but comes back again when i do  some heavy work,so i would also be intrested in any helpful sugestions on this. 

Fuz, do a search for an 'Aircast Pneumatic Armband' they're about £17.00 and work a treat, you sound like you've got what i get a lot of, its Tendonitis, these armbands take the pressure off the elbow and allow it to heal while your still using it.

Fuz go to the local chemist and get a sports neoprene support they are not cheap and not to comfortable as they are fairly tight, but they do the job.

I have used them before for frozen shoulder and carpal tunnel type problems before.

Westy, No matter how much pestering, and even though I have a wobble every now and then, you aint converting me to Beretta!

Ian and Adam, thats the sort of thing I'm after I think. I assume as the pain is in the golfers area (underneath the arm) the pad/airbag would go underneath?

Ps Occasionally get a burning pain down the bottom of my forearm, through the wrist and into the little finger/ring finger. Sound about right for it?

Get yourself one of these power balls, they work on centrifugal force of wrist rotations. I used to get pains in my left wrist, using one of these will strengthen the muscles in your wrist and forearms etc.

Ps Occasionally get a burning pain down the bottom of my forearm, through the wrist and into the little finger/ring finger. Sound about right for it?
There's a nerve which passes along the underside of the fore arm and runs through the carpal tunnel to the muscle on the underside of the hand and the 3rd/4th fingers. Don't ask me how I know this! Your inflamed elbow tendons are probably spreading inflammation to this nerve.

Cheers Steve, think I might even have one of them knocking around that Mrs Fuz used for Karate training  :)

It certainly does, driving buses probably not helping so probably worth wearing it for that as well.

But as with all things medical, Go and see you doctor !

It certainly does, driving buses probably not helping so probably worth wearing it for that as well. But as with all things medical, Go and see you doctor !

nah just give up buses and shoot full time, now where did I put that lottery ticket?

Saw the doc a couple of months back but he was a useless twonk that looked about 12 and told me "just leave it and it should heal itself" might be time to visit someone a little more mature and not on work experience  :lol:

Saw the doc a couple of months back but he was a useless twonk that looked about 12 and told me "just leave it and it should heal itself" might be time to visit someone a little more mature and not on work experience  :lol:
Actually not such a twonk. I used to suffer exactly the same thing following a heavy decorating session but doc told me to live with it as it would repair itself with rest and it did go away after 6 months or so. It is a slow repair process so one of the support strap pings might ease the pane while shooting.........or gripping stuff for long periods!!!

DT

I've had tennis/golf elbow in both arms caused by lifting at work, I was given a cortisone injection which did not really work. You can have an operation on your tendons which might work, but the only real answer is to stop the cause of the damage and let the joint heal itself.

As it was my job that caused the problem the firm where I worked found me a job with very little lifting. I was actually on the sick for four months as any type of lifting was very painfull.

If it's shooting that's causing the problem do something to change whats causing it. It will only become worse if you do nothing.

It's all to do with tendons the only thing you can do is strap/support it take anti inflamitaries, just let it heal up.

Same with when we used to race dogs if the tendon hadn't snapped rest was the only treatment,once this starts it will probably return again.

Gonna have to learn how to manage it.

All the US pistol shooters seem to rave about cortizone injections for it. 

Got me thinking Mike, This has been going on for about 3 months now, about the same amount of time ago that I broke my stock with a danuser recoil reducer on and  put a normal stock on it. Seems like too much of a coincidence to dismiss. Maybe the root cause is recoil not an over tight grip.

I might try shooting some 21 grammers for a while along with support and if it feels better think about an Isis on the back end again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back