License delay due to manager review Hampshire -any advice

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMR89

Hi, 

I have been shooting for over a year now and have my own winchester 101 diamond grade that I unfortunately still have to keep at my local gun club. 

I waited a good 4 months for my PFO visit, all went well was told license would be in the post then waited another 6 weeks and was told again there was another delay in posting out and getting together the licenses. In this time i had a minor incident where i reported a dangerous driver for tailgating and they made a counter allegation to which nothing was done as there was no evidence on either side.

I then was told my license was not sent out as this had flagged up on my license and just needed to be reviewed by firearms office manager. I thought fair enough at leastbyhe system is working.

I have now waited a further 6 months with no movement and when i query this i am given an apology and told there is a large backlog in the review area and thenmanager has been informed. 

It has now been a full year since i applied for my license and 8 months since my visit and am now completely frustrated as i cannot really shoot outside of my own club.

Has anyone been in a similar situation that can give advice on what else i can do. I now even knownof friends that have had their licenses within 3 months ! Hampshire really does just seem to be the slowest department going! 

Its the same in West Yorkshire.

BASC website usually has some good advice on this subject.

Thanks - can see a lot of sites and other threadsbseem to have had some success in contacting the chief supt of their firearms department. Others say this will just delay matters further 

Hi, 

I have been shooting for over a year now and have my own winchester 101 diamond grade that I unfortunately still have to keep at my local gun club. 

I waited a good 4 months for my PFO visit, all went well was told license would be in the post then waited another 6 weeks and was told again there was another delay in posting out and getting together the licenses. In this time i had a minor incident where i reported a dangerous driver for tailgating and they made a counter allegation to which nothing was done as there was no evidence on either side.

I then was told my license was not sent out as this had flagged up on my license and just needed to be reviewed by firearms office manager. I thought fair enough at leastbyhe system is working.

I have now waited a further 6 months with no movement and when i query this i am given an apology and told there is a large backlog in the review area and thenmanager has been informed. 

It has now been a full year since i applied for my license and 8 months since my visit and am now completely frustrated as i cannot really shoot outside of my own club.

Has anyone been in a similar situation that can give advice on what else i can do. I now even knownof friends that have had their licenses within 3 months ! Hampshire really does just seem to be the slowest department going! 
By all means contact the force in question and point out your position. Address your letter to the Chief Constable. There’s no point writing to the head of the firearms department as theirs is an operational role and nothing whatsoever to do with licensing. 

Generally speaking, licensing managers are fairly omnipotent. The Chief Constable devolves their authority to them and, as far as licensing decisions are concerned, they call the shots.

I’m sure your application is in the pile awaiting their attention but, for obvious reasons, renewals take priority over grants. Unfortunately with budget cuts and a lack of staffing the process often takes a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, 

Welcome to the world of firearm ownership. Absolutely everything you do now can affect the grant/ renewal or possession of your certificate and firearms. Speeding, and form of violence, divorce and anything that can be recorded on the police system. Nearly every shooter in the UK will personally know somebody that has had a problem or a temporary suspension. It is getting to be a very big problem and it is far to easy for the police and other people to use them as excuses to remove weapons and licenses.

The only defense is to be whiter than white at all times and to also be a member of basc. In the event of a licensing problem basc are the best people to go to for help, everyone that I know that have had problems have used basc's legal team for advise and help to good effect.

If I ever return to the UK I will not even think about shooting a shotgun ever again! To hell with begging and grovelling for something which is your right!

If I ever return to the UK I will not even think about shooting a shotgun ever again! To hell with begging and grovelling for something which is your right!
You would just do what they would like us to,do - give in and give up.

By all means contact the force in question and point out your position. Address your letter to the Chief Constable. There’s no point writing to the head of the firearms department as their’s is an operational role and nothing whatsoever to do with licensing. 

Generally speaking, licensing managers are fairly omnipotent. The Chief Constable devolves their authority to them and, as far as licensing decisions are concerned, they call the shots.

I’m sure your application is in the pile awaiting their attention but, for obvious reasons, renewals take priority over grants. Unfortunately with budget cuts and a lack of staffing the process often takes a long time.
Thanks I have sent off a letter today to the chief supt of the Firearms licensing dept of the force I've applied with. I just stated everything that has happened and pointed out the lack of any communication of timescale or even that my license had been flagged and put in for review in the first place. 

I saw on a forum on the BASC site that someone had done the same and had success with this. So fingers crossed ! 

Welcome to the world of firearm ownership. Absolutely everything you do now can affect the grant/ renewal or possession of your certificate and firearms. Speeding, and form of violence, divorce and anything that can be recorded on the police system. Nearly every shooter in the UK will personally know somebody that has had a problem or a temporary suspension. It is getting to be a very big problem and it is far to easy for the police and other people to use them as excuses to remove weapons and licenses.

The only defense is to be whiter than white at all times and to also be a member of basc. In the event of a licensing problem basc are the best people to go to for help, everyone that I know that have had problems have used basc's legal team for advise and help to good effect.
I agree with you it does seem excessive these days especially with the fact that almost all gun crime commited is in the criminal world with certainly no licensing involved.

I have written to the chief supt of the Firearms licensing dept today so hopefully will at least get a response if nothing else. Would like to know why what seems like a 5 minute job can take 6+ months to do. I also was told by my PFO that they struggle to get people to stay in the civilian roles for more than 6 months due to the constant backlog.... that should have been a bad sign!

Hi, 

Query? Your opening paragraph implies you “own” a shotgun however as I read the above you dont yet not have you possesed a certificate? 

My last renewal was delayed and required a further home visit following a error by the seller regarding the serial number, lord knows how confused youve made them if you have managed to purchase a shotgun without a certificate 

Query? Your opening paragraph implies you “own” a shotgun however as I read the above you dont yet not have you possesed a certificate? 

My last renewal was delayed and required a further home visit following a error by the seller regarding the serial number, lord knows how confused youve made them if you have managed to purchase a shotgun without a certificate 
Not that uncommon Rich? Police do not care who owns (paid for) a shotgun, they just care who is in charge of it and storing it. A bit like cars. It’s about who is listed as the keeper and who is insured to drive it. Ownership is just a side issue mainly.

Not that uncommon Rich? Police do not care who owns (paid for) a shotgun, they just care who is in charge of it and storing it. A bit like cars. It’s about who is listed as the keeper and who is insured to drive it. Ownership is just a side issue mainly.
Thanks Will, 

I have a gun at my gun club kept on their certificate. My friend bought it on his certificate  then transfered it over to the clubs license. So No, i do not technically own the gun as it is not in my name obviously. ... and i clearly cannot take it home with me or I would have a license. Would have thought you might have heard of this as it is common practice in many clubs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Just thought I'd update for all of you that had been helpful and replied.

2 days after sending my letter of complaint through to the chief supt of the Firearms licensing dept I received a phone call from the manager of the dept who explained the delay. .....And subsequently I received my certificate the following week. 

So it seems putting it in a hard copy in writing as opposed to emailing or calling is the way to go. .... :smile:

Slightly related to this topic: I received an email from Thames Valley Police today, asking me to renew a year early, to break their glut of renewals in 2018 and assist with their backlogs. The cost is £25, which is good.

Slightly related to this topic: I received an email from Thames Valley Police today, asking me to renew a year early, to break their glut of renewals in 2018 and assist with their backlogs. The cost is £25, which is good.
That is brilliant! A pro active, forward thinking licensing department... what ever next?

They just cashed my cheque, so fingers crossed its soon, which would make the renewal under three months. TBC..

I hope I get the same offer Will. Nothing came up about needing a GP report? There was a big piece on Countryfile about it the other day. Lots of advice not go pay any fee but easy to say when its not yours.

I hope I get the same offer Will. Nothing came up about needing a GP report? There was a big piece on Countryfile about it the other day. Lots of advice not go pay any fee but easy to say when its not yours.
If I recall, the form says they will write to your doctor to say they’re renewing the certificate and as long as the doctor doesn’t object (I.e. they don’t hear from the doctor) then that’s it.

Latest posts

Back