comp x

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

anyone on here  use comp x  shells  or know of anyone  using them for competition ,    ive never tried them  I'm told they are soft on the shoulder  ?    :ahappy:   

anyone on here  use comp x  shells  or know of anyone  using them for competition ,    ive never tried them  I'm told they are soft on the shoulder  ?    :ahappy:   
They are.  I used them for the first year or so shooting. Obviously I wasn't very competitive at that stage so don't know if they hindered my performance at all.   Tony's used them years ago when they were cheap.  He loves cheap, he didn't have an issue using them in competition.

Several thousand, until I switched to Cheddite. I found the Comps to be excellent in either plastic or fibre, yes they are low on recoil but they certainly minced clays through my 1/4 and 1/4 choked Browning. They also worked well in my 303 auto, with only the rare misfeed.

I used to use the 21g comp X cartridges, really good, not badly priced either about £180 -£190 per thousand, I also used cheddite and eley 1st select (didn't care much for these) 

Now using hull super fast if I shoot my 12 which is very rare...

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the soft thump rather than snap gave me a banging headache after shoot 100 or so so moved on to another manufacturer

I used to use the 21g comp X cartridges, really good, not badly priced either about £180 -£190 per thousand, I also used cheddite and eley 1st select (didn't care much for these) 

Now using hull super fast if I shoot my 12 which is very rare...
I had to employ a cleaner to assist with my gun cleaning after using the Eley Select  !

The Hull Superfarts are very good but NOT as soft as the Comp X  ! 

The 21g are very soft indeed and if you’re on them they will break. The 28g are not much more in the recoil department but do give you a bit more margin for error. I really wish you could get a soft 21g 8’s. If you’re looking for a gentle compromise try Hull Intercomps.....24g 7.5’s. Soft to shoot and a bit more lead in the air...just a bit pricey. 

A  good local AAA sporting shooter used comp x 28g through a Beretta auto for years he was a regular high gun at several different grounds. But after changing to another Beretta auto he found it would not cycle them reliably so changed to sovereigns and has never shot as good. So there's nothing wrong with them if you put them in the right place.

I had to employ a cleaner to assist with my gun cleaning after using the Eley Select  !
I shoot 100 - 200 Eley select a week. I pull bore snake through once and barrels look like new.

I haven't tried The Hull Superfasts or Comp X . I might give some a try if I can find a cheep supply locally.

The Hull Superfarts are very good but NOT as soft as the Comp X  ! 
Eley selects I found we're very dirty and the 28gs wouldn't cycle through my boyfriends semi auto

Recently used Eley select 24g although a little sharp re recoil the bores on my MK 38 looked as if nothing had been fired through them afterwards. 

Recently used Eley select 24g although a little sharp re recoil the bores on my MK 38 looked as if nothing had been fired through them afterwards. 
Either I got a bad batch or I have been spoilt by Hull and Cheddite cartridges.

Eley selects I found we're very dirty and the 28gs wouldn't cycle through my boyfriends semi auto
They will cycle OK through my Beretta 303, but then so will 24 gram Cheddite. I had to completely strip clean the auto after using the Eley, something that I normally only have to do after 6 or so outings with either the Hull or Cheddite.

They will cycle OK through my Beretta 303, but then so will 24 gram Cheddite. I had to completely strip clean the auto after using the Eley, something that I normally only have to do after 6 or so outings with either the Hull or Cheddite.
My boyfriends semi auto is a Winchester sx3 cycles all other cartridges ok and even the 24grams

we did a charity clay shoot a few months ago, went on a 75 bird flush, he hardly fired at any because of the cartridges not cycling so swapped with a friend...

I had a recipe for disaster this morning, made worse by the fact that I was using my auto  !   I had an Eley DTL Gold from 50 that I had swapped with someone, only half a crimp and no shot in it. Had I fired it, I am certain that the wad would have stuck in the gun barrel. Now I would have been aware of this and stripped my gun to check  BUT..................................a less experienced shooter  ?

It reminded me of an incident many years ago when I was loading for someone. It was just after the explosion at the Eley factory and they were having cartridges sent in from France. A gun further down the line was using some of these through 1 of a pair of Charles Lancaster S x S. A duff cartridge left the wad down the barrel, his 'stuffer' in the heat of the moment, loaded another and then BOOM, very little left of his left hand and 1 gun with 3 holes in the barrel. 1 at each end and a bloomin big one in the middle ! That ended 1 Gentleman's shooting career. 

Ive been using hull comp X 28gm plastic wad and am very happy with their performance. The have the least recoil of all the cartridges I have tried and one they are one of the cleanest. I have never had a single faulty one in the 7 months I have used them.

They are even a nice to use through my side by side which has been uncomfortable to use with any other cartridge.

I had a recipe for disaster this morning, made worse by the fact that I was using my auto  !   I had an Eley DTL Gold from 50 that I had swapped with someone, only half a crimp and no shot in it. Had I fired it, I am certain that the wad would have stuck in the gun barrel. Now I would have been aware of this and stripped my gun to check  BUT..................................a less experienced shooter  ?

It reminded me of an incident many years ago when I was loading for someone. It was just after the explosion at the Eley factory and they were having cartridges sent in from France. A gun further down the line was using some of these through 1 of a pair of Charles Lancaster S x S. A duff cartridge left the wad down the barrel, his 'stuffer' in the heat of the moment, loaded another and then BOOM, very little left of his left hand and 1 gun with 3 holes in the barrel. 1 at each end and a bloomin big one in the middle ! That ended 1 Gentleman's shooting career. 
very scary , cant be too safety conscious  ,  experience helps  also !

Back