Which class /What class do you compete in?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

I have had a few people mention (moan ) to me about the ability to take numerous prizes away from a competition?????

Such as Veterans also winning High Gun , class win , and Veterans catagory . Ladies winning , Ladies , HG , class win, Colts winning Colts, class , HG etc .

Would it not be a fairer situation for prize winners to win only one prize and spread the prize fund around to possibly encourage the also rans?

I have had a few people mention (moan ) to me about the ability to take numerous prizes away from a competition?????

Such as Veterans also winning High Gun , class win , and Veterans catagory . Ladies winning , Ladies , HG , class win, Colts winning Colts, class , HG etc .

Would it not be a fairer situation for prize winners to win only one prize and spread the prize fund around to possibly encourage the also rans?
Yes it would probably make best sense to spread it.  When you enter a competition on a Sunday - a registered or open ESP/STR/Compak shoot for example at some of these shoots,  as a lady I am asked if I want to shoot in Ladies or Class.  Not all of them though, some shoots I would just be in class there isn't a ladies' class to enter.  Personally I don't care what you stick me in - quite often at Southdown I leave it to Helen to choose.

yes it would and I have said it time and time again.

furthermore i fail to see why anyone would want to win best female or best over 60 or best under 21 . We all shoot the same target some people regardless of age or sex are better than others on the day so they win. Thats life. Do away with categories and classes i say, pay down the leader board 1 place per 5 entries, job done. I would never win anything but as i say thats life.

Some grounds give you no choice as they don't pay prizes for Ladies class, others do.  An open competition I go to occasionally on a Sunday has a ladies class with half price entry, but with a much smaller prize than a class win.

I'm not actually bothered about prizes, getting the top score for my class / category is enough for me.  I should probably go targets only to be honest.

I mean the following with the greatest respect....

do women not feel aggrieved at being put into there own little comp (in effect) as if to imply that they are not capable of taking men on which of course we all know is not the case. If I was a woman I think I would feel patronised by it.

do women not feel aggrieved at being put into there own little comp (in effect) as if to imply that they are not capable of taking men on which of course we all know is not the case. If I was a woman I think I would feel patronised by it.
Seems to be a different mindset for some...all these women only clubs as well which i just don't get? men not allowed although they are quite happy to have male coaches?

Never been to an unfriendly shoot so why can't we all shoot together...class,club,category whatever?

Been beaten by females on several occasions and quite happy to be in the future  :angel:  

Don't think i have ever been to a Sorting shoot where somebody has taken HG and class prizes they all seem to move the 2nd in class to first when somebody in that class takes HG would be totally unfair to win two prizes for the same score.

While we are on the subject of prizes i am somewhat disillusioned by the fact that some grounds feel they need to pay out to as many people as possible diluting the fund by paying pennies down to lower placings i have seen as far 8th in C with a few over a hundred shooting overall i think,should be 1,2,3 unless a major competition with a larger prize fund.

Up to the individual grounds i know but i would rather win the equivalent of a free shoot upwards occasionally than the odd tenner,may add up to the same but doesn't feel the same achievement to me.

Seems to be a different mindset for some...all these women only clubs as well which i just don't get? men not allowed although they are quite happy to have male coaches?
Every shooting ground I go to I see men only groups going around together.  What's the difference between that and a group of women getting together to shoot?

It can be quite intimidating as a woman going on your own to try something that is as male dominated as clay shooting.  Groups like the Shotgun and Chelsea Bun Club give women the opportunity to try shooting in a more relaxed, less competitive environment.  Often people that first start at things like this move on to shoot in mixed groups or even dare to go on their own.

I often go to Registered shoots on my own.  I still occasionally get odd looks from scorers when I give my card in and I'm not accompanied by anyone.  Happened a month ago, when the scorer assumed that I was with a group of blokes that were queuing behind me and even went out of his way to ask if I was on my own in a surprised tone (as if a woman shouldn't be let out on their own with a shotgun), which amused me a bit.  Even more amusing was when the fluffy rabbits going on between the group of blokes behind me stopped after I'd hit the first two pairs and silence reigned as I hit the rest of them. There was nothing unfriendly in any of it, but if I'd been a raw beginner it would have made me a bit nervous and uncomfortable.

Every shooting ground I go to I see men only groups going around together.  What's the difference between that and a group of women getting together to shoot?

It can be quite intimidating as a woman going on your own to try something that is as male dominated as clay shooting.  Groups like the Shotgun and Chelsea Bun Club give women the opportunity to try shooting in a more relaxed, less competitive environment.  Often people that first start at things like this move on to shoot in mixed groups or even dare to go on their own.

I often go to Registered shoots on my own.  I still occasionally get odd looks from scorers when I give my card in and I'm not accompanied by anyone.  Happened a month ago, when the scorer assumed that I was with a group of blokes that were queuing behind me and even went out of his way to ask if I was on my own in a surprised tone (as if a woman shouldn't be let out on their own with a shotgun), which amused me a bit.  Even more amusing was when the fluffy rabbits going on between the group of blokes behind me stopped after I'd hit the first two pairs and silence reigned as I hit the rest of them. There was nothing unfriendly in any of it, but if I'd been a raw beginner it would have made me a bit nervous and uncomfortable.
There may be groups of men shooting but who is saying you would not be welcome to join them? There is s difference in being single sex group by design/choice and the fact there just happened to be only men around.

I am quite happy to and have on occasion had women shooting with me/my group and made to feel welcome,even better when we get to rib some of the squad for getting beaten by them effectively bigging them up in the process about as big a confidence boost as you can get in that situation.

If i had a choice there would be women on every squad/group changes the balance and is most welcome.

So what about men shooting at first should there lack of confidence/none intentional intimidation preclude them joining a group or is it a female only thing?

Maybe there should be a Shotgun and Meat Pie club for new male shooters  :lol:

All about perception and not based in fact most of the time.....

Last edited by a moderator:
There may be groups of men shooting but who is saying you would not be welcome to join them? There is s difference in being single sex group by design/choice and the fact there just happened to be only men around.

I am quite happy to and have on occasion had women shooting with me/my group and made to feel welcome,even better when we get to rib some of the squad for getting beaten by them effectively bigging them up in the process about as big a confidence boost as you can get in that situation.

If i had a choice there would be women on every squad/group changes the balance and is most welcome.

So what about men shooting at first should there lack of confidence/none intentional intimidation preclude them joining a group or is it a female only thing?

Maybe there should be a Shotgun and Meat Pie club for new male shooters  :lol:

All about perception and not based in fact most of the time.....
Do these groups of men advertise the opportunity for women that haven't shot before to go and join them?  Do they go out of their way when they are arranging to meet up as a group to invite female shooters they know to join them?

I'm not sure if it's a female only thing or not.  I can't speak from the perspective of a male beginner.  I can say that it can be unnerving arriving at a ground where everyone is male. It may just be perception, but it doesn't make that person feel any more comfortable about it.  

You should definitely start the Shotgun and Meat Pie Club.  You can all catch up on boasting about how much beer you downed the night before and feel free to adjust your tackle without getting any dirty looks from anyone.  You could even create a veterans group where the chat would be about your lumbago and how you used to be able to get 100 clays, cartridges, full english breakfast and still have the bus fare home out of a tenner.

Ips, if you happen to frequent this area of the world for example you are more likely to have to shoot against ladies like Cheryl, Hannah, Georgia, Amy and more - I would probably do better to be in Class actually.

A universal problem, world wide from local to international events.

My Solution pays:

Hi Gun   not eligible for any other prize

Classes A thru D based NOT on any score average but on points assigned to placings overall in prior shoots

I do not approve of score based cat's as they do not reflect the differences in grounds, schemes, level of difficulty, etc.  In standardized events, DTL for example, scores can be managed to affect class assignment.  Points by placing overall avoid the most of the class assignment difficulties.

JMO of course

I've been bested by women in probably everything I've ever done and I lived thru it.  My wife even used to shoot better than I did.  Prolly still can if she bothered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Never been to an unfriendly shoot so why can't we all shoot together...class,club,category whatever?

Been beaten by females on several occasions and quite happy to be in the future  :angel:  
I don't go to either Femme Fatal or Chelsea Bun but I do applaud them for what they have achieved.  In essence lots of different levels of ability having fun and then finishing off with cake and tea.  Do you want to have access to that?  I went to a BASC ladies' day competition shoot, 80 birds - I came second overall but there were all different levels with small prizes and the ladies seemed to really enjoy it.  I wouldn't go often its not my thing but I can see the benefit of it.   It isn't just about shooting its the social aspect as well for the ladies I think.  I am not social in that sort of way, I would be the one who wanted to be out shooting while they were eating buns and drinking tea.  

Do these groups of men advertise the opportunity for women that haven't shot before to go and join them?  Do they go out of their way when they are arranging to meet up as a group to invite female shooters they know to join them?

I'm not sure if it's a female only thing or not.  I can't speak from the perspective of a male beginner.  I can say that it can be unnerving arriving at a ground where everyone is male. It may just be perception, but it doesn't make that person feel any more comfortable about it.  

You should definitely start the Shotgun and Meat Pie Club.  You can all catch up on boasting about how much beer you downed the night before and feel free to adjust your tackle without getting any dirty looks from anyone.  You could even create a veterans group where the chat would be about your lumbago and how you used to be able to get 100 clays, cartridges, full english breakfast and still have the bus fare home out of a tenner.
The point is these women only shoots advertise the fact that NO men are wanted and until they started there was no need to advertise anything,just turn up at your local group all generally very friendly and ask if there is someone you can shoot with...effectively how i got started.Nobody was advertising for newbies to join them generally the club will ask a group if they would mind someone joining them.

I do not think it is in anyway just a female thing i was fairly apprehensive but if you have enough nerve to apply and go through the procedure to get a certificate it then seems nothing more.

If you see me about and wish to shoot with us (SAS on back if vest) you would be welcome,i promise not to regale you with tales of the night before (we generally travel a fair way so chit chat in car) or adjust anything unsightly  :smile:

"100 clays, cartridges, full english breakfast and still have the bus fare home out of a tenner" no that would be worth winding the clock back for....Maybe IPS will remember that!

The point is these women only shoots advertise the fact that NO men are wanted and until they started there was no need to advertise anything,just turn up at your local group all generally very friendly and ask if there is someone you can shoot with...effectively how i got started.Nobody was advertising for newbies to join them generally the club will ask a group if they would mind someone joining them.

I do not think it is in anyway just a female thing i was fairly apprehensive but if you have enough nerve to apply and go through the procedure to get a certificate it then seems nothing more.

If you see me about and wish to shoot with us (SAS on back if vest) you would be welcome,i promise not to regale you with tales of the night before (we generally travel a fair way so chit chat in car) or adjust anything unsightly  :smile:

"100 clays, cartridges, full english breakfast and still have the bus fare home out of a tenner" no that would be worth winding the clock back for....Maybe IPS will remember that!
But how many women actually turned up at those groups to shoot?  Whilst you may not like them, groups like the SG&CB club have got loads of women clay shooting that would never have otherwise done it.  Your antipathy towards them almost makes it sound like you don't think it's a good thing that more women are clay shooting.

I will say hello if I see you around and about.  Won't promise not to boast how many pints I downed the night before though and if my bra strap is in the wrong place I may have to stop to adjust it as the stock gives me a bruise if I don't.  :wink:

I don't go to either Femme Fatal or Chelsea Bun but I do applaud them for what they have achieved.  In essence lots of different levels of ability having fun and then finishing off with cake and tea.  Do you want to have access to that?  I went to a BASC ladies' day competition shoot, 80 birds - I came second overall but there were all different levels with small prizes and the ladies seemed to really enjoy it.  I wouldn't go often its not my thing but I can see the benefit of it.   It isn't just about shooting its the social aspect as well for the ladies I think.  I am not social in that sort of way, I would be the one who wanted to be out shooting while they were eating buns and drinking tea. 
Ditto.  I went to EJC with a couple of friends on National Ladies Shooting Day this year.  It was a good fun morning with friends, but the targets were straightforward enough for me to get joint highest score.  We made a day of it with a caddied round in the afternoon.  Much more challenging and really enjoyable.

But how many women actually turned up at those groups to shoot?  Whilst you may not like them, groups like the SG&CB club have got loads of women clay shooting that would never have otherwise done it.  Your antipathy towards them almost makes it sound like you don't think it's a good thing that more women are clay shooting.

I will say hello if I see you around and about.  Won't promise not to boast how many pints I downed the night before though and if my bra strap is in the wrong place I may have to stop to adjust it as the stock gives me a bruise if I don't.  :wink:
I would imagine percentage wise through shooting overall a similar amount,3 or 4 on the last year at our local club shoot admittedly don't see them there all the time.

I quite happily want more women to shoot just feel that in someways they are creating a wedge  which will only get bigger,i believe shooting should be inclusive.

As for adjusting anything i understand it is usually a larger problem for females though at the moment i may be needing a bra soon  :smile:

Ips, if you happen to frequent this area of the world for example you are more likely to have to shoot against ladies like Cheryl, Hannah, Georgia, Amy and more - I would probably do better to be in Class actually.
Good to see women's shooting progress. That list used to read: Cheryl..

Good to see women's shooting progress. That list used to read: Cheryl..
She's still the only AAA class woman at English Sporting.  There are three in AA and about 25 in A.

Looking at those stats, I'm going to stop beating myself up about not progressing through B class more quickly.

I'm lucky enough to shoot with Phil and all our shooting friends are mainly men.  I've never been made to,feel inadequate when shooting with them and in fact they encourage and help me.  It wouldn't bother me if I had to shoot on my own though, when shooting abroad you're squadded with other people and I like the fact it's normally a lady, vet, junior and seniors from all different countries which makes it interesting.  I like shooting with people "better" than me, I feel it makes me try harder.  

BUT If I were just coming into shooting, I don't think I would have the confidence to go round on my own at all and would be a bit intimidated by the male dominance, but that's just me!!

Latest posts

Back