Targets for New Shooters

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidJ

If you were showing new shooters how to shoot what target presentations would you use. 

I often see a slow high incommer used that can be rifled at it's peak. Although this gives instant satisfaction, is it really a good target to start on as it's shot with an almost still gun which contradicts most techniques that will follow.

If you were showing new shooters how to shoot what target presentations would you use. 

I often see a slow high incommer used that can be rifled at it's peak. Although this gives instant satisfaction, is it really a good target to start on as it's shot with an almost still gun which contradicts most techniques that will follow.
instant gratification is not a bad thing, it gives hope that you can get it.  All too often it appears more complex targets are rushed into before the very important lessons of gun safety and how to hold yourself are learned - body posture, feet position etc etc.  IMO of course.

instant gratification is not a bad thing, it gives hope that you can get it.  All too often it appears more complex targets are rushed into before the very important lessons of gun safety and how to hold yourself are learned - body posture, feet position etc etc.  IMO of course.
I don't disagree. On the few occasions I've been asked to help a new shooter I've found it very difficult. 

I think that is a good presentation to start with. There is a good chance they will be able to hit it and it is not as easy as it looks for a total novice.

Tracking the target with the gun and timing the shot is actually quite difficult the first few few times. The complete novice will probably have concerns about the recoil from the shotgun and nerves that come with trying something for the very first time. As Sian has said the instant gratification of hitting the target will allow them to feel they can shoot and this may be a hobby for them rather than giving up because it is too difficult.

Ah, I shot a lot of these in the early S&CBC days. 

The hanging crow incomer is a good place to start. 

Then a straight going away. 

Then a crossing rabbit. 

Next a crosser.

Then a driven. 

Six of each, thirty birds total. My best score was a 29. Never got a perfect 30.

When I've helped a new shooter I've always used skeet Low 7 as the first moving target to shoot.  And that's after some shots at the plate to give an idea of gun fit and this is how a shotgun feels when you pull the trigger.

Latest posts

Back