hypothetical gun question

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

purely hypothetical .....honest ?

if you were looking at a one "good" gun does all what would you buy ?

I am talking about a gun for formal driven game, walked up, rough shooting & sporting. So it has to look something like for formal days but equally at home on the clay ground.

there is no budget...

Don't you already have a very pretty upmarket DT10 that would do the job?

A biased answer, because I have one and am very happy with it, but a Kreighoff K80 Parcours would do the job for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not possible, like expecting to use one pair of footwear...

Don't you already have a very pretty DT10 upmarket DT10 that would do the job?

A biased answer, because I have one and am very happy with it, but a Kreighoff K80 Parcours would do the job for you.
Good luck luging that around!

I shoot dt10.,on walk up days you are not walking continuouslyor carrying 100+ cartridges as well so the weight should not really be a problem,and of course you might only fire a few shots so no fatigue from that,i often do 200 bird sporting shoots and have no ill effects from carrying the gun for several hours,and I am no spring chicken,

I can't help but think a Blaser F3 with a two pairs of barrels might just fit the bill...

Naturally - before someone points it out - you would only take one pair out at a time.

purely hypothetical .....honest ?

if you were looking at a one "good" gun does all what would you buy ?

I am talking about a gun for formal driven game, walked up, rough shooting & sporting. So it has to look something like for formal days but equally at home on the clay ground.

there is no budget...
Actually I think the longthorne is worth a look... they are pretty light by not heavy on recoil. Also liked the Perazzi ribless game when I tried that before opting for Aya English Game to compliment other sxs.

There's really no such thing as a true all rounder, any gun is going to be a compromise in some respect but if you accept that you need a minimum of 8 lbs to use it on clays and not much more if intending to carry it around then the Krieghoff Parcours would seemingly come close. 

F3 Blaser professional 32" ....10 year guarantee , 3" proof , very well balanced , build quality sorted , little recoil , steel proofed ...there's a lot worst out there ??, and no doubt a few better if you want to spend big bucks 

Not possible, like expecting to use one pair of footwear...

Good luck luging that around!
Beretta seem to think it is, with their all singin and dancin auto priced at over £2000 (for an auto).  Wait 12 months and there will second hand models available for around £700.  You would think they would have learned from Remington !  

It would have to be a Longthorne (but I am biased).

'luging'   is that not some king of toboggan event  ?

Buy a second set of barrels for your DT either 28 or 30" but choked 1/4 & 1/2  or 1/2 & 1/2 and have them steel proofed.

Or...  

After my first outing with a 725 I"d be tempted with a side plated  Browning B15.

It would have to be a Longthorne (but I am biased).
Nooooooo...........

Buy a second set of barrels for your DT either 28 or 30" 
could be an good option, as that gun fits

or

put some miles in to find a 28" or 30" EELL sporter feels right  and fits. (This still leaves you your trap gun to play with for when you return to the dark side)

that is what I did when I originally bought mine, ended up buying from Swillington, covered a lot of ground, N,S,E & W, tried a lot for fit and how ithey felt, found the only one I liked and it was one of a factory pair!!

some interesting replies.

foghorn leghorn is out, I have shot a few of them.

second set of barrels for the DT ....um. Were would one get them and who would get em to fit ??

I am wondering what if any cartridge will open the pattern given that its 3/4 full and I don't shoot high pheasant ? Other option remains multi choke it (not something I am particularly happy with) or get it opened out.

A nice 687 Silver pigeon EELL 30" M/C would fit the bill & it just so happens I have 1  :wink:

second set of barrels for the DT ....um. Were would one get them and who would get em to fit ??

I am wondering what if any cartridge will open the pattern given that its 3/4 full and I don't shoot high pheasant ? Other option remains multi choke it (not something I am particularly happy with) or get it opened out.
I would get Briley chokes BEFORE  I opted to "open it out"  !

Beretta, pal had a EELL made with 2 sets of barrels, a quick trip to Italy  with the wife, (browny points) or bet Brian could sort another set of multi barrels for you

Back