Bogey Birds

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Comment in the 'head position' thread reminded me of this.  Firstly, what is everyone's bogey bird and what is everyone's 'easy' bird.

Secondly does one type of shooter suit particular targets but not others?

For example I dislike high, fast slightly quartering going away but love anything driven or incoming or high distant crossing.. My best friend who is a much more experienced clay shot is the exact opposite.

Does a natural ability for one type or target make another difficult?

Driven and teal are my bogey birds, very hit and miss.

One eyed shooters find these birds difficult apparently

i don't think so.

Driven and teal are my bogey birds, very hit and miss.

One eyed shooters find these birds difficult apparently

i don't think so.
Possibly because you 'lose sight' of both of them with a flat shooting gun  ?

My worst ones are driven and rabbits.

ive tried every way possible to hit rabbits lucky if I get 1/5

Rabbits are deceptive.  Looks like you're missing behind, but that's often an optical illusion where the rabbit rolls through the dust lifted by he shot hitting the ground.  They also often look faster than they are because of the background they are against.  They're often over-led.

For me at the moment it's two things:

- incomers, crow, full faced teal that are coming from behind trees and you can't see until they are slowing up etc that need very slow controlled gun movement

- overheads / dropping targets.  I can't seem to judge lead vertically as well as I can laterally.

Bogey birds are right to left medium to long crossers. It used to be teal and crows but for some reason iam hitting them now. Driven are my banker targets usually no problem at any height.  

This is an easy one.

BATTUE!! 

Even when I practise and have started hitting a few the next time I meet them I always seem to be back to square one. Faced with them on a stand I look like Ive never held a shotgun before!!  :oops:

what are them stupid flat ones that go all loopey , a sort of arc in the sky, not keen on those

This is an easy one.

BATTUE!! 

Even when I practise and have started hitting a few the next time I meet them I always seem to be back to square one. Faced with them on a stand I look like Ive never held a shotgun before!!  :oops:
Forget the loop just shoot it as a crosser ;)

For me its the 200 mile an hour bumble bee that my mates can see but which I still haven't. It lives at Purbeck and I have no idea if the so-and-sos have actually pushed the button or not. 

You know the one, Schmokinn, you've actually watched me vainly peering out at the nothingness trying to spot the bloody thing..

Last edited by a moderator:
For me its the 200 mile an hour bumble bee that my mates can see but which I still haven't. It lives at Purbeck and I have no idea if the so-and-sos have actually pushed the button or not. 

You know the one, Schmokinn, you've actually watched me vainly peering out at the nothingness trying to spot the bloody thing..
Probably better off closing both eyes and using the Force ;)

When I was shooting driven birds were always a problem.

I have a back problem in that it is a bit stiff and reluctant to bend backwards therefore I couldn't accelerate the gun fast enough to overtake the bird and create lead.

Therefore I was very pleased when at a semi auto shoot on a stand that comprised two lots of three driven birds on report I straightened the stand. Would that the rest of the shoot was as good.

Vic.

love anything incoming ,teal ,or going away especially overhead   bogeys for me are high tower crossing left to right or right to left.

but I do have lots of probs with the bird who sells the bacon butties

Rabbits are deceptive.  Looks like you're missing behind, but that's often an optical illusion where the rabbit rolls through the dust lifted by he shot hitting the ground.  They also often look faster than they are because of the background they are against.  They're often over-led.

For me at the moment it's two things:

- incomers, crow, full faced teal that are coming from behind trees and you can't see until they are slowing up etc that need very slow controlled gun movement

- overheads / dropping targets.  I can't seem to judge lead vertically as well as I can laterally.
Spot on re rabbits. I was assisting a lady shooter today who said she did ages with an instructor on close/ mid range rabbits and still never hit one and gave up. I sorted her problem in 10 seconds by telling her to stop bloody leading them. Just shoot at them. 

I also find vertical lead tougher than crossing lead. I used to be awful at teal, now I have progressed to just not very good.. Only recently have I vastly improved my ability to hit dropping targets. (Just need to see a huge gap with them). 

I also find vertical lead tougher than crossing lead. I used to be awful at teal, now I have progressed to just not very good.. Only recently have I vastly improved my ability to hit dropping targets. (Just need to see a huge gap with them). 
Thank you, this makes sense, I struggle with dropping targets but I doubt I give enough lead as the gun shoots a little high it's more lead needed than I estimated.

Latest posts

Back