High 2 and Low 6 advice please

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gothicsera

Been out again today and 2 targets I am consistently struggling with are high stand 2 and low stand 6. The others, while far from perfect I'm hitting a lot more than I'm missing.

So, any advice on hold point and lead required would be great.  I know it's hard over the net...

High 2 and Low 6 are EXACTLY the same target from opposite sides of the field which i am sure you know. I see from another post you are right handed - how are you approaching these targets with regards to your eyes? 

In particular high 2 as if your left eye is closed this will change totally the way you approach the target.

This is quite hard and more complicated to type / read than to actually do and does not involve any diagnosis of what you may be doing wrong as i have never seen you shoot...... Here is my approach as a basic starting point 

High 2.

My hold point is taken off the slab by finding the front RH corner and a straight line from that out to the target flight path then find a tree / bush a touch further towards the middle of the field. Then set the gun here and MAKE SURE the gun is level with the bottom of the window the target emerges from - you can "cheat" up slightly but be aware your giving up vision of any flat targets. I then set my eyes about halfway between the gun and the window and relax them so that peripheral vision works better. Lead - just off the nose of the target and keep the gun moving.

Low 6.

My hold point is taken off the slab by finding the front LH corner and a straight line from that out to the target flight path then find a tree / bush a touch further towards the middle of the field. Then set the gun here and MAKE SURE the gun is level with NO HIGHER than the top of the window the target emerges from - DO NOT "cheat" up! as you will lose the target for a fraction of time. Eyes - this is where i differ as i do something odd due to my eyes  glasses but try to look halfway back and relax the eyes again.  Lead - just off the nose of the target and keep the gun moving.

In both shots cases DO NOT RUSH to break the target you have more time than you think - just ensure you see it well and make the shot. 

I am based in Rugby if you want to go through this in person (FOC) drop me a PM. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much, makes a lot of sense. I think I'm starting too far back toward the house, which is tricking me into thinking these are more of a crossing target than they are, when in reality they are a going away and need a lot less lead than I am giving them.

I'm casting my eyes back toward the house to see when the target emerges and shooting these both eyes open.

Next out on Friday, so will try and put it into practice :)

Try this video.... i very much base my skeet shooting off Todd's method with a few tweeks but this might explain it better than words.

High 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4MX-YNw7mU

LP in this next video is another top US skeet shooter who uses a similar method and he goes into some detail on low 6 here.

Low 6 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mxFjry8dXQ

NOTE:- There are a number of set up / basics missing from these clips as they are previews for their DVD sales but they will give you the hold points / look points / leads that you asked about from 2 of the current best skeet shooters on the planet. 

I struggle with any from the low house once I've moved to stand 2 through to stand 6, I'm moving my gun too far back to the low house and stopping my gun when I've pulled the trigger so I'm always behind it which is really now starting to annoy me and I can't seem to correct it..I'm still trying to work on it with lots of help from Davidj.

my lack of concentration doesn't help either.

Any more advice on what I can do..

I have watched the video Davids put the link to and it is good..

Have a look here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL441DA01D2404EE9C 

Front edge on stand 2 is what I go with but how I see it might not be how you see it. 
These Chris batha videos are great. 

If you hold too far back on high 2 the clay beats you out then you're accelerating past a decelerating target which then causes you to miss in front or realise you've overtaken it and then you stop the gun and miss behind. 

High 2 is the only target I do not use sustained lead on, I let it beat my barrels then swing through it. 

If if you go on Todd benders site there's a good run through each station and also a cheat sheet which gives gun and visual hold points as well as feet position and ideal kill points. 

You also need the correct foot position (within a bit). Kill zone, hold point, and pick-up point, does your 'coach' not teach you these things?

You also need the correct foot position (within a bit). Kill zone, hold point, and pick-up point, does your 'coach' not teach you these things?
Yes, but I've been on my own the last couple of times out. And these are targets I hadn't spent any time on yet... :)

I struggle with any from the low house once I've moved to stand 2 through to stand 6, I'm moving my gun too far back to the low house and stopping my gun when I've pulled the trigger so I'm always behind it which is really now starting to annoy me and I can't seem to correct it.

my lack of concentration doesn't help either.

Any more advice on what I can do..
Maria,

Quick tips that might help..... but bear in mind nearly impossible to diagnose without seeing you shoot. You could be leaving on your call and all sorts leading to the errors. however based upon the information given.

1). Get a little stack of clays and then pace out 21ft from the low house on the target flight path (ensure it is safe to do so as this will take you outside the houses and visible from neighbouring layouts) and place the clays on the 21ft point. This is your hold point as a starter - if it still proves too tight then tweak it out a touch till the clay does not beat you. BUT>>> Moving on seeing the flash as the clay emerges.

2). Exaggerate your follow through - few of us at my local club play house to house.... on singles.... if you are say shooting low 3 make the shot and watch the bits / keep the gun swinging till it reaches the high house - feels / looks silly but works.

3). Concentrate more!

Thanks ? 

I think no 3 is my worst let down...

I take the pairs on report as I become to flustered when they come together...

Latest posts

Back