Bottom Barrel Choke

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smurph

Hi All, looking for some advice...

I have now been shooting trap for about a year and purchased a new Miroku MK38 Trap a few months back.

It has fixed chokes (3/4 bottom & full top), but following a conversation with my coach on Wednesday, he recommended having the bottom barrel teagued so that I have the option of 1/2 choke.

I tend to take my first shot quite quickly so think its probably quite a good idea, but I'm just curious if this will have an effect on the resale value.

Am I best getting both barrels done even though my top barrel will only ever have a full choke in it, or should I just leave it alone?

Cheers!

Highly subjective post and will no doubt go on and on,so this is my veiw only.

The old boys will say 3/4 full and it is sacralidge to teguue your barrels.

Modern shells are so good nowerdays 1/2 will powder fast trap first barrel no problem,if your talking dtl 1/4 will do,ive even used cylinder for dtl,with 28grm 8s.and know someone who did 100 straight with cylinder 9s 28grm on dtl.

The only thing I would suggest is patterning the gun with your chosen cartridge at your chosen distance and then possibly trying an alternative cartridge to achieve a broader pattern if you feel you need it... which you may not!

Both or leave. As said 1/2 is tight enough for any trap target (unless you come across clays which are made very hard material which you can come across occstionally) but the difference to 3/4 will be marginal. Having both done will make it a very good all rounder. 

Not sure I'd want to put that amount of money into an MK38 if it's a grade 1.

My gun is choked at 1/2 and full and I can and do completely powder targets just the same as the guys with 3/4 and full and I do not take my targets early. As has been said modern plastic wadded cartridges certainly help keep the patterns tight. There is a guy who shoots at our club from time to time who shoots a MX2000 which has a multi bottom barrel and he uses 1/4 in the first tube and he absolutely hammers targets with it, truth is if you are on target most targets will be hammered to dust see vid

View attachment DSCN3458.AVI

Last edited by a moderator:
Leave it as it is but changing coach might help.  :)
I believe Mr. Hamster has the answer.  

To the OP - how many lost targets do you feel are due to the chokes you are using?  Do you have any reason to suspect that 1/2 choke will somehow alter that?

inquiring minds, etc

If you have a Miroku MK38 choked 3/4 & Full may I offer the following advice .

Get another brand of gun , preferably multichoked .

Try a Kemen , or a Perazzi , if you have no success with them instantly do not waste time , get a Beretta or if you are totally mad a Krieghoff .

Once you have learned this life lesson sell all of them , and shoot the MK38 3/4 & Full , if you learn to shoot it you can sell it later , top barrell unused. :D

Thanks all.

Agreed with what was said about putting that amount of money into it. It is a grade 1 so I feel it's money I would never see again. 

Certainly don't feel disadvantaged by having 3/4 bottom instead of half. The ones I miss first barrel are more down to me putting the gun in the wrong place than anything else.

I only use it for trap so I think I'll leave it how it is. I don't particularly enjoy dtl so more open chokes for that aren't an issue as I don't really shoot it. I also won't use it for Sporting as it shoots too high for how I like a sporter set up.

Thanks again!

Hi All, looking for some advice...

I have now been shooting trap for about a year and purchased a new Miroku MK38 Trap a few months back.

It has fixed chokes (3/4 bottom & full top), but following a conversation with my coach on Wednesday, he recommended having the bottom barrel teagued so that I have the option of 1/2 choke.

I tend to take my first shot quite quickly so think its probably quite a good idea, but I'm just curious if this will have an effect on the resale value.

Am I best getting both barrels done even though my top barrel will only ever have a full choke in it, or should I just leave it alone?

Cheers!
It depends what kind of trap you're shooting. If it's any international discipline leave well alone. If it's a domestic discipline 3/4 and full is, in my opinion, too tight. 1/2 and 5/8 is more than enough.

If you've been shooting a year you'll know how your target breaks look. If you don't feel a tight choke is costing you then continue as you are. Remember too that pattern density isn't just determined by choke.

As for resale value, it won't make much difference either way as MK38s are cheap enough new.

Latest posts

Back